ETHYL ACETATE FRACTION OF GARCINIA MANGOSTANA-LINN PERICARP EXTRACT: ANTI-C.ALBICANS AND EPITHELIAL CYTOTOXICITY
Candida spesies are commensal agent in oral, skin, and GIT environment, but when there is underlying predisposing condition in host, it causing candida infections. The increasing of antifungal resistance complicate patient management, therefore it is necessary to identify potential antifungal agents. Garcinia mangostana-Linn (GML) is a famous tropical fruits in Indonesia and other south-east Asia countries. This study was conducted to examine the antifungal activity of chromatographic coloumn ethyl acetate fraction of GML pericarp against C.albicans. GML was extracted with ethanol and fractionated with ethyl acetate. C.albicans ATCC 10231 was used in this study. Antifungal activities were expressed as viability of Candida albicans growth identification with MTT assay. There is no previous research that analyzes the antifungal effect of GML based on ethyl acetate fraction from the chromatographic fractionation technique, especially as anti-C.albicans. In this study, we also conducted an analysis of the cytotoxicity effect of ethyl acetate fraction on HaCaT cell line. The result of our study indicate that ethyl acetate fraction of GML pericarp extract have reduced the viability of C.albicans. There is a tendency of decrease in viability in line with the increase of concentration of fraction. As anti-C.albicans ethyl acetate fraction of GML pericarp extract has no cytotoxicity to HaCaT cell line. This result showed the ability of ethyl acetate fraction of GML extract changes the viability of C. albicans, but not toxic to HaCaT cell line. Â It may consider ethyl acetate fraction of GML pericarp extract as potent anti-C.albicans and promising adjuncts in oral health product.
2. Samaranayake L. Commensal oral candida in Asian cohorts. Int J Oral Sci 2009;1(1):2-5.
3. Scully C, El-Kabir M, Samaranayake LP. Candida and Oral Candidiasis, A Review. Crit Rev Oral Bio Med 1994;5:125.
4. Wong SSW, Kao RYT, Yuen KY, Wang Y, Yang D, Samaranayake LP, Seneviratne CJ. In vitro and in vivo activity of a novel antifungal small molecule against Candida infections. PLoS ONE 2014;9(1):e85836.
5. Loeffler J, Steven DA. Antifungal drug resistance. Clin Infect Dis 2003;36(Suppl 1) S31-41.
6. Doddonna SJ, Patel S, Sundarrao MA, Veerabhadrappa RS. Antimicrobial activity of plant extracts on C.albicans: An in vitro study. Indian J Dent Res 2013;24(4):401-5.
7. Al Massarani SM, El Gamal AA, Al Musayeib MN, Mothana RA, Basudan OM, Al-Rehaily AJ, Farag M, et al. Phytochemical, antimicrobial and antiprotozoal evaluation of Garcinia mangostana pericarp and Î± mangostin, its major xanthone derivative. Molecule 2013;18:10599-608.
8. Pedraza-Chaverri J, Cardenas-Rodriguez N, Orozco-Ibarra M, Perez-Rojas JM. Medicinal properties of mangosteen (Garcinia mangostana) Food Chem Toxicol 2008;46:3227-39.
9. Nualkaew N, Morita H, Shimokawa Y, Kinjo K, Kushiro T, De-Eknamkul W, Ebizuka Y, Abe I. Benzophenone synthase from Garcinia mangostana L pericarp. Phytochemistry 2012;(77):60-9.
10. Nguyen PTM, Marquis RE. Alpha mangostin from Garcinia mangostana-Linn has antimicrobial action against oral streptococci. Can J Microbiol 2011; (57):217-25.
11. Chivapat S, Chavalittumrong P, Wongsinkongman P, Phisalpong C, Rungsipipat A. Chronic toxicity study of Garcinia mangostana Linn pericarp extract. Thai J Vet Med 2011;41(1):45-53.
12. Kaomongkolgit R, Jamdee K, Chaisomboon N. Antifungal activity of alpha mangostin against C.albicans. J Oral Sci 2009;3(51):401-06.
13. EE GCL, Daud S, Taufiq-Yap YH, Ismail NH, Rahmani M. Xanthone from Garcinia mangostana(Guttiferae). Nat Prod Res 2006;20:1067-73.
14. Scorzoni L, Benaducci T, Almeida AMF, Silva DHS, Bolzani VS, Mendes-Giannini MJS.Comparative study of disk diffusion and microdilution methods for evaluation of antifungal activity of natural compounds against medical yeasts Candida spp and Cryptococcus sp. Rev Cienc.Farm Basica Apl 2007;1(28):25-34.
15. Santos DA, Hamdan JS. Evaluation of broth microdilution antifungal susceptibility testing conditions for Trichophyton rubrum. J Clin Microbiol 2005;4(43):1917-20.
16. Zhao LX, Li DD, Hu DD, Hu GH, Yan L, Wang Y, Jiang YY. Effect of Tetrandrine against Candida albicans biofilms. PLOS ONE 2013;8(11):e79671
17. Pedraza-Chaverri J, Cardenas-Rodriguez N, Orozco-Ibarra M, Perez-Rojas JM. Medicinal properties of mangosteen (Garcinia mangostana). Food Chem Toxicol 2008;46:3227-39.
18. Nguyen PTM, Marquis RE. Antimicrobial actions of Î± mangostin against oral streptococci. Can J. Microbiol 2011;57: 217-25.
19. Aisha AFA, Salah KMA, Ismail Z, Majid AMSA. In vitro and in vivo anti-colon cancer effect of Garcinia mangostana xanthones extract.BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine.2012;12:104-13.
20. Dharmaratne HRW, Sakagami Y, Piyasena KGP, Thevanesam V. Antibacterial activity of xanthones from Garcinia mangostana (L) and their structure-activity relationship studies. Natural Product Research.2013;27:938-41.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.