HEPATOPROTECTIVE ACTIVITY OF AQUEOUS EXTRACTS OF CHRYSANTHEMUM INDICUM FLOWERS ON PARACETAMOL INDUCED LIVER INJURY IN ALBINO RATS
Objective: The present investigation was evaluated that protective activity of aqueous extract of flowers of Chrysanthemum indicum studied against
paracetamol-induced hepatotoxicity in animal model.
Methods: Bioactive functional groups, such as alcohol, carboxylic acid, and amines, were present in the aqueous extract of flowers of C. indicum
identified by Fourier transform infrared spectroscopy. The animals were grouped into 5 and each group has 6 animals and induced the hepatic failure.
Silymarin was used as reference standard. Aqueous extract of flowers of C. indicum treated in a different dose which was compared with control group
Results: Aqueous extract of flowers of C. indicum reduced the level of aspartate transaminase (AST), alanine transaminase (ALT), serum bilirubin,
protein, triglycerides, and cholesterol compared than paracetamol treated Group II animals. Histopathological studies were confirmed that reduction
of necrosis and inflammation in the liver cells.
Conclusion: Thus, these results revealed that the aqueous extract of flowers of C. indicum shown very significant (p<0.01) hepatoprotection against
paracetamol-induced hepatic failure in animal model by reducing AST, ALT, serum total bilirubin, protein, triglycerides, and cholesterol levels.
Keywords: Hepatoprotective activity, Chrysanthemum indicum, Paracetamol.
leaf extract of Aegle marmelos (Linn.) on alloxan induced diabetic rats.
Int J Pharm Sci Res 2013;5(3):56-62.
2. Rajeshkumar S, Tamilarasan B, Sivakumar V. Phytochemical screening
and hepatoprotective efficacy of leaves extracts of Annona squamosa
against paracetamol induced liver toxicity in rats. Int J Pharmacogn
3. Bhavani R, Shobana R, Rajeshkumar S. Cardio-protective activity
of Pithecellobium dulce flower and fruit pulp aqueous extracts. Int J
Pharm Sci Res 2014;6(3):82-9.
4. Ramesh K, Paari E, Rajeshkumar S. In-vivo nephroprotective activity
of Kalanchoe pinnata leaves on ethylene glycol induced urolithiasis in
albino rats. Indo Am J Pharm Res 2014;4(7):3093-8.
5. Rajeshkumar S, Nagalingam M, Ponnanikajamideen M, Vanaja M,
Malarkodi C. Anticancer activity of Andrographis paniculata Leaves
extract against neuroblastima (imr-32) and Human colon (ht-29) cancer
cell line. World J Pharm Pharm Sci 2015;4(6):1667-75.
6. Rajalakshmi G, Komathi S, Raviganesh B, Poongodi N, Sasikala T.
In-vitro Micropropagation and antimicrobial activity of Chrysanthemum
indicum. Sch Acad J Pharm 2013;2(4):285-8.
7. Kumar S, Wahab N, Mishra M, Warikoo R. Evaluation of 15 local
plant species as larvicidal agents against an Indian strain of dengue
fever mosquito, Aedes aegypti L. (Diptera: Culicidae). Front Physiol
8. Ghosh A, Chowdhury N, Chandra G. Plant extracts as potential
mosquito larvicides. Indian J Med Res 2012;135:581-98.
9. Singh S, Nair V, Gupta YK. Antiarthritic activity of Majoon
suranjan (a polyherbal Unani formulation) in rat. Indian J Med Res
10. Cheng W, Li J, You T, Hu C. Anti-inflammatory and immunomodulatory
activities of the extracts from the inflorescence of Chrysanthemum
indicum LinnÃ©. J Ethnopharmacol 2005;101(1-3):334-7.
11. Ward FM, Daly MJ. Hepatic disease. In: Walker R, Edwards C, editors.
Clinical Pharmacy and Therapeutics. New York: Churchill Livingstone;
1999. p. 195-212.
12. Mascolo N, Sharma R, Jain SC, Capasso F. Ethnopharmacology of
Calotropis procera flowers. J Ethnopharmacol 1988;22:211-21.
13. Handa SS, Sharma A, Chakraborty KK. Natural products and plants as
liver protecting drugs. Fitoterapia 1989;57:307-51.
14. Kumpulainen JT, Salonen JT. Natural antioxidants and Anticarcinogens
in Nutrition, Health and Disease. UK: The Royal Society of Chemistry;
1990. p. 178-87.
15. Cook NC, Samman S. Flavonoids-chemistry, metabolism, cardio
protective effects, and dietary Sources. Nut Biochem 1996;7:66-76.
16. Beckman KB, Ames BN. The free radical theory of aging matures.
Physiol Rev 1998;78:547-81.
17. Singh N, Kamath V, Narasimhamurthy K, Rajini PS. Protective effect
of potato peel extract against carbon tetrachloride-induced liver injury
in rats. Environ Toxicol Pharmacol 2008;26:241-6.
18. Srinivasa Rao A, Ahmed MF, Ibrahim M. Hepatoprotective activity of
Melia azedarach leaf extract against simvastatin induced Hepatotoxicity
in rats. J Appl Pharm Sci 2012;02(07):144-8.
19. Ranawat L, Bhatt J, Patel J. Hepatoprotective activity of ethanolic
extracts of bark of Zanthoxylum armatum DC in CCl4 induced hepatic
damage in rats. J Ethnopharmacol 2010;127:777-80.
20. Reitman S, Frankel S. In vitro determination of transaminase activity in
serum. Am J Clin Pathol 1957;28:56-60.
21. Malloy HT, Evelyn KA. The determination of bilurubin by photoelectric
colorimeter. J Biol Chem 1937;193:265-75.
22. Lowry OH, Rosebrough NJ, Farr AL, Randall RJ. Protein measurement
with the Folin phenol reagent. J Biol Chem 1951;193:265-75.
23. Parekh AC, Jung DH. Cholesterol determination with ferric acetate and
sulphuric acid-ferrous sulphate reagents. Anal Chem 1970;42:1423-7.
24. Foster LB, Dunn RT. Stable reagents for determination of serum
triglycerides by a colorimetric Hantzsch condensation method. Clin
25. Diadelis R, Jan NM, Commandeur ED, Groot ED, Nico
PE, Vermeulen NP. Mechanism of protection of lobenzarit against
paracetamol-induced toxicity in rat hepatocytes. Eur J Pharmacol
Environ Toxicol Pharmacol Sect 1995;293:301.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.