EFFECT OF YOHIMBINE ON CLOMIPRAMINE-INDUCED SEXUAL DYSFUNCTION IN MALE RATS
Object: The present investigation has been carried out to find out the effect of yohimbine on clomipramine-induced sexual dysfunction in male rats.
Methods: The male rats were treated with clomipramine and yohimbine simultaneously for 60 days. During the treatment, all the male rats were
challenged with the female rats which are in estrous phase and their sexual behavior was observed under dim red light. Half of the animals in eachÂ group and remaining on 60Â day were sacrificed, blood was collected and serum separated. Testis was collected and preserved in 10% formalin for
subsequent histopathological examination.Â th
Results: The study reveals that yohimbine failed to antagonize the clomipramine-induced sexual dysfunction in male rats in all aspects, except the
partial improvement in the sexual behavior.
Conclusion: Yohimbine a well-known aphrodisiac failed to antagonize the clomipramine-induced sexual dysfunction in male rats. The decrease in
testosterone levels, a decrease in spermatozoa count were continued even in the presence of yohimbine except improvement in the sexual behavior
parameters. Hence, yohimbine could not be a safe antidote against clomipramine-induced sexual dysfunction in male rats.
Keywords: Yohimbine, Clomipramine, Testosterone, Male rat sexual competence, Testicular damage.
sexual dysfunction. Clin Ther. 2000;22 Suppl A: A42-57.
2. Baldwin DS. Psychotropic drugs and sexual dysfunction. Rev
3. Bernik M, Vieira AH, Nunes PV. Bethanecol chloride for treatment of
clomipramine-induced orgasmic dysfunction in males. Rev Hosp Clin
Fac Med Sao Paulo 2004;59(6):357-60.
4. Monteiro WO, Noshirvani HF, Marks IM, Lelliott PT. Anorgasmia from
clomipramine in obsessive-compulsive disorder. A controlled trial. Br J
5. Fava M, Ramkin M. Sexual dysfunction and SSRIs. J Clin Psychiatry
2002;63 Suppl 5:13-6.
6. Blackwell B. Antidepressant drugs. In: Dukes MN Meyerâ€™s Side Effects
of Drugs. Amsterdam: Elsevier; 1984. p. 24-61.
7. Jones RB, Luscombe DK, Groom GV. Plasma prolactin concentrations
in normal subjects and depressive patients following oral clomipramine.
Postgrad Med J 1977;53 Suppl 4:166-71.
8. Pomerantz SM, Hepner BC, Wertz JM. Serotonergic influences on
male sexual behavior of rhesus monkeys: Effects of serotonin agonists.
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 1993;111(1):47-54.
9. Sorscher SM, Dilsaver SC. Antidepressant-induced sexual dysfunction
in men: Due to cholinergic blockade? J Clin Psychopharmacol
10. Beaumont G, Mayes A. Do task and sex differences influence the visual
evoked potential? Psychophysiology 1977;14(6):545-50.
11. Aizenberg D, Zemishlany Z, Hermesh H, Karp L, Weizman A. Painful
ejaculation associated with antidepressants in four patients. J Clin
12. Balon R, Yeragani VK, Pohl R, Ramesh C. Sexual dysfunction during
antidepressant treatment. J Clin Psychiatry 1993;54(6):209-12.
13. Devang SS, Satyanarayana S, Kumar E, Vivek B. Clomipramine affects
sexual behaviour and reproductive functions in male rats. Int J Health
14. Devaangam SS, Satyanarayana S, Kumar KE, Vivek B, Velmurugan C,
Kumar A. Amantadine failed to antagonize the clomipramine induced
sexual dysfunction in male rats. Oman Med J 2011;26(6):404-9.
15. Gitlin MJ. Effects of depression and antidepressants on sexual
functioning. Bull Menninger Clin 1995;59(2):232-48.
16. Lane RM. A critical review of selective serotonin reuptake
inhibitor-related sexual dysfunction; Incidence, possible aetiology and
implications for management. J Psychopharmacol 1997;11(1):72-82.
17. Smith ER, Davidson JM. Yohimbine attenuates aging-induced sexual
deficiencies in male rats. Physiol Behav 1990;47(4):631-4.
18. RodrÃguez-Manzo G. Yohimbine interacts with the dopaminergic
system to reverse sexual satiation: Further evidence for a role of sexual
motivation in sexual exhaustion. Eur J Pharmacol 1999;372(1):1-8.
19. Price J, Grunhaus LJ. Treatment of clomipramine-induced anorgasmia
with yohimbine: A case report. J Clin Psychiatry 1990;51(1):32-3.
20. Paget GE, Barner JM. In: Laurence DR, Bacharach AL, editors.
Evaluation of Drug Activities: Pharmacometrics. Vol. 1. New York:
Academic Press; 1964.
21. Agmo A. Male rat sexual behavior. Brain Res Brain Res Protoc
22. Amin KM, Khan MN, Rahman SZ, Khan NA. Sexual function
improving effect of Mucuna puriens in sexually normal male rats.
23. Ratnasooriya WD, Jayakody JR, Dharmasiri MG. Sodium nitroprusside
impairs sexual competence of male rats. Hum Exp Toxicol
24. Culling CF, Rath MR. FIMLS Vancover Canada. Cellular Pathology
Technique. Vol. 4. London: Butterworth Publisher; 1976. p. 29-138.
25. Bancroft J, Munoz M, Beard M, Shapiro C. The effect of a new alpha-2
adrenoceptor antagonist on sleep and nocturnal penile tumescence in
normal male volunteers and men with erectile dysfunction. Psychosom
26. Guiliano F, Rampin O. Central adrenergic control of penile erection. Int
J Impot Res 2000;12 Suppl: S13-9.
27. Meston CM, Gorzalka BB, Wright JM. Inhibition of subjective and
physiological sexual arousal in women by clonidine. Psychosom Med
28. Wheatley D. Psychopharmacology and Sexual Disorders. Oxford:
Oxford University Press; 1983. p. 1-7.
29. Holland OB, Fairchild C, Gomez-Sanchez GE. Effect of guan Benz and
hydrochlorothiazide on blood pressure and plasma renin activity. J Clin
30. Anden NE, Strombom U. Adregenic receptor blocking agents: Effects
on central noradrenaline and dopamine receptors and on motor activity.
31. AndÃ©n N, Grabowska M. Pharmacological evidence for a stimulation
of dopamine neurons by noradrenaline neurons in the brain. Eur J
32. AndÃ©n NE, Pauksens K, Svensson K. Selective blockade of brain alpha
2-autoreceptors by yohimbine: Effects on motor activity and on turnover
of noradrenaline and dopamine. J Neural Transm 1982;55(2):111-20.
33. RodrÃguez-Manzo G, FernÃ¡ndez-Guasti A. Reversal of sexual
exhaustion by serotonergic and noradrenergic agents. Behav Brain Res
34. Rodriguez-Manzo G, FernÃ¡ndez-Guasti A. Participation of the central
noradrenergic system in the re establishment of copulatory behaviour
of sexually exhausted rats by yohimbine, Naloxone and 8-OH-DPAT.
Brain Res Bull 1995;38:399-404.
35. Creed KE, Carati CJ, Keogh EJ. The physiology of penile erection. Oxf
Rev Reprod Biol 1991;13:73-95.
36. Kirkeby HJ, Forman A, SÃ¸rensen S, Andersson KE. Alpha-adrenoceptor
function in isolated penile circumflex veins from potent and impotent
men. J Urol 1989;142(5):1369-71.
37. Bancroft J. Effects of alpha-2-blockade on sexual response:
Experimental studies with delaquamine (RS15385). Int J Impot Res
2000;12 Suppl 1:S64-9.
38. Meston CM, Frohlich PF. The neurobiology of sexual function.Arch
Gen Psychiatry 2000;57(11):1012-30.
39. Medical Economics. Physiciansâ€™ Desk Reference (PDR). 55 ed.
Montvale NJ: Medical Economics; 2001.
40. Vogt HJ, Brandl P, Kockott G, Schmitz JR, Wiegand MH,
Schadrack J, et al. Double-blind, placebo-controlled safety and efficacy
trial with yohimbine hydrochloride in the treatment of nonorganic
erectile dysfunction. Int J Impot Res 1997;9(3):155-61.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.