STUDY OF DIURETIC ACTIVITY OF ETHONOLIC EXTRACT OF LEAVES OF CISSAMPELOS PAREIRA IN RATS
Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â ABSTRACT
To study the diuretic activity of ethanolic extract of leaves of Cissampelos pareira (EELCP) by Lipschitz method in albino rats .
Five groups of Albino rats were used to study the diuretic activity of EELCP by using metabolic cages. Group-I serves as normal control received vehicle (CMC 2% in normal saline), group II received Furosemide (10 mg/kg, p.o) in vehicle; other groups III, IV and V were treated with low (100 mg/kg), medium (200 mg/kg), and high (400 mg/kg) doses of EELCP in vehicle . Immediately after the extract treatment all the rats were hydrated with saline (15 ml/kg,p.o) and placed in the metabolic cages (3 per cage), specially designed to separate urine and faeces, kept at 21Â°CÂ±0.5Â°C.The total volume of urine collected was measured at the end of 5th h. During this period, no food and water was made available to animals. Various parameters like total urine volume and concentration of Sodium, Potassium , Chloride ions in the urine were measured and estimated respectively.
Results: When compared to vehicle treated control group the EELCP at different dose levels (100,200 and 400 mg/kg) has significantly increased the urine volume and also enhanced the elimination of Sodium, Potassium and Chloride ions in urine.
Results showed that single dose administration of EELCP as 100, 200 and 400 mg/Kg and standard Furosemide (10 mg/kg b.wt) has significantly ( p<0.001***) Â increased the urine output along with an increase in concentration of Sodium, Potassium, and Chloride.
1.Pandya PN, Aghera HB, Ashok BK, Acharya R. Diuretic activity of Linaria ramosissima (wall) Janch leaves in albino rats. An Int Quar J Res Ayur 2012;33(4):576-578.
2.Sravani P, Mohana Lakshmi S, Saravana Kumar A .Evaluation of diuretic activity of Xanthium strumarium L. Int J Preclin Pharm Res 2010; 1(1): 31-34.
3. Hullatti KK , Sharada MS , Kuppasth IJ. Studies on diuretic activity of three plants from Menispermaceae family. Pelag Res Lib 2011;2(1):129-134.
4. Agrawal SS, Tamrakar BP, Paridhavi M. Clinically useful herbal drugs. 1st ed. New Delhi : Ahuja publishers; 2009:76.
5. Bafna A, Mishra S. Antioxidant and immunomodulatory activity of the alkaloidal fraction of Cissampelos pareira L. Sci Pharm 2010;78(1):21-31.
6. Amaresh G, Singh PN, Rao CV. Antinociceptive and antiarthritic activity of Cissampelos pareira roots. J Ethnopharmacol 2007;111:531-536.
7. Ganguly M, Borthakur M, Devi N, Mahanta R. Antifertility activity of the methonolic leaf extract of Cissampelos pareira in female albino mice. J Ethnopharmacol 2007;111:688-691.
8. Amresh G, Reddy GD, Rao CV, Singh PN. Evaluation of anti-inflammatory activity of Cissampelos pareira roots in albino rats. J Ethnopharmacol 2007;110:526-31.
9. Amresh G, Reddy GD, Rao CV. Ethnomedical value of Cissampelos pareira extract in experimentally induced diarrhea. Acta Pharma 2004;54(1):27-35.
10. Singh BK, Kohli K, Haque SE. Effect of Cissampelos pareira extract on isoproterenol induced cardiac dysfunction. J Nat Med 2013;67(1):51-60.
11. Issat T, Jakobisiak M, Golab J. Berberine a natural cholesterol reducing product exerts anti tumor cytotoxic effects independently from the mevalonate pathway.Oncol Rep 2006;16(6):1273-6.
12. Ye M, Fu S, Pi R, He F. Neuropharmacological and pharmacokinetic properties of berberine: a review of recent research. J Pharm Pharmacol 2009;61(7):831-7.
13. Surendran S, Bhavani E, Vijaykumar M, Rao V CH . In vitro and in vivo hepatoprotective activity of Cissampelos pareira aganist carbon tetra chloride induced hepatic damage. Ind J Exp Biol 2011;49(12):939-45.
14. Amritpal S, Sanjiv D, Jaswinder S, Shankar K . An inside preview of ethnopharmacology of Cissampelos pareira L. Int J Bio Tech 2010;1(1):114-120.
15. Khandelwal KR . Practical pharmacognosy techniques and experiments.3rd ed. Pune: Nirali Prakashan ;2000:149-156.
16. OECD guidelines on acute oral toxicity. Environmental health and safety monograph series on testing and adjustment. 2001:No.425.
17. Amresh.G,Paras Nath S,Venkat Rao C. Toxicological screening of traditional medicine laghupatha (Cissampelospareira) inexperimentalanimals. J Ethnopharmacol 2008;116(3):454-60.
18.Lipschitz WL, Hadidian Z, Kerpcsar A. Bioassay of diuretics. J Pharmacol Exp Ther 1943;79:97-110.
19.Jayasree T, Kiran Kishore.K. Evaluation of the diuretic effect of the chloroform extract of the Benincasa hispida rind (pericarp) extract in guinea pigs. J Clini Diagnos Res 2011;5(3):578-582.
20.Mohammad Farid A. Chemical and biological investigations of medicinal herbs Phyla nodiflora, Ruella patula and Ruella brittioniana. Ph.D.Thesis,Pakistan:University of Karachi;1993.
21.Dubey S,Verma Vijendra K, Sahu Amit K, Jain Amit K, Tiwari A. Evaluation of diuretic activity of aqueous and alcoholic rhizomes extracts of costus speciosus linn in albino rats. Int J Res Ayur Pharm 2010;1(2):648-652.
22.Bashir.S, Gilani.AH. Antiurolithic effect of berberine is meadiated through multiple pathways.Eur J Phar 2011;651:168-175.
23.Ancy P, Padmaja V, Radha K, Jose J, Hisham A.Diuretic activity of the roots of flacourtia indica. J D Med 2013;5(1):79-83.
24.Patel AJ, Patel NM, Patel AA, Patel J, Patel S. Comparative diuretic activity of root and aerial part methonolic extracts of Echinops echinatus Roxb .Der Pharmacia Lettre 2011;3(5):168-172.
25. Kumarasamyraja D, Shankar M, Gowrishankar NL.Preliminary phytochemical and diuretic potential of methonolic extract of Azima tetra cahntha lam leaf. Int J Pharm & Ind Res 2011;1(4):275-278.
26.Kumar EA ,Kumar DA, Venkatesh P, Ramu VA, Prabakaran L. Effect of diuretic activity of Baliospermummontanum (wild) Muell in male albino rats. IJPI J Pharm & Toxi 2012;2(8):49-54.
27.Yadav R, Kharya DM, Yadav N, Savadi R. Diuretic activity of Spilanthes acmella murr leaves extract in rats.Int J Res Pharm Chem, 2011;1(1):57-61.
28. Sayana SB, Nimmagadda VR, Khanwelkar CC,Dasi JMB,Chavan VR et al.Evaluation of diuretic activity of alcoholic extract of roots of Cissampelos pareira in albino rats. J Clini Diagnose Res, 2014;8(5):HC01-HC04.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.