SALIVARY PROTEIN AND GLUCOSE LEVELS IN DIABETIC AND NON-DIABETIC PATIENTS - A REVIEW
Saliva is the most important tool to monitor various biochemical parameters including protein and glucose. Hence, it can be used as a tool to find if a patient is diabetic or nondiabetic. This review presents information about the salivary glucose and protein levels in diabetic and non-diabetic subjects. It can be concluded that salivary protein and glucose levels are raised in diabetic patients than in non-diabetic patients.
2. Vasconcelos U, Sueli MM, Almeida PC, Soares TC. Comparitive study of the concentration of salivary and blood glucose in Type 2 diabetic patients. J Oral Sci 2010;52:293-8.
3. Abikshyeet P, Ramesh V, Oza N. Glucose estimation in the salivary secretion of diabetes mellitus patients. Diabetes Metab Syndr Obes 2012;5:149-54.
4. Kadashetti V, Baad R, Malik N, Shivakumar KM, Vibhute N, Belgaumi U, et al. Glucose level estimation in diabetes mellitus by saliva: A Bloodless revolution. Rom J Intern Med 2015;53:248-52.
5. Chan HH, Rahim ZH, Jessie K, Hashim OH, Taiyeb-Ali TB. Salivary proteins associated with periodontitis in patients with Type 2 diabetes mellitus. Int J Mol Sci 2012;13:4642-54.
6. Panchbhai AS, Degwekar SS, Bhowte RR. Estimation of salivary glucose, salivary amylase, salivary total protein and salivary flow rate in diabetics in India. J Oral Sci 2010;52:359-68.
7. Lasisi TJ, Fasanmade AA. Comparative analysis of salivary glucose and electrolytes in diabetic individuals with periodontitis. Ann Ib Postgrad Med 2012;10:25-30.
8. Afreen C, Rajeshwari SG, Arpitha G, Krishnananda P, Komal S, Keerthilatha MP. Glucose and antioxidants in the saliva of diabetic patients. Int J Curr Med Appl Sci 2015;7:50-3.
9. Javed F, Sundin U, Altamash M, Klinge B, EngstrÃ¶m PE. Self-perceived oral health and salivary proteins in children with Type 1 diabetes. J Oral Rehabil 2009;36:39-44.
10. Kallapur B, Ramalingam K, Bastian, Mujib A, Sarkar A, Sethuraman S, et al. Quantitative estimation of sodium, potassium and total protein in saliva of diabetic smokers and nonsmokers: A novel study. J Nat Sci Biol Med 2013;4:341-5.
11. Van Nieuw Amerongen A, Bolscher JG, Veerman EC. Salivary proteins: Protective and diagnostic value in cariology? Caries Res 2004;38:247-53.
12. Karjalainen KM, Knuuttila ML, KÃ¤Ã¤r ML. Salivary factors in children and adolescents with insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus. Pediatr Dent 1996;18:306-11.
13. Carda C, Mosquera-Lloreda N, Salom L, Gomez de Ferraris ME, PeydrÃ³ A. Structural and functional salivary disorders in Type 2 diabetic patients. Med Oral Patol Oral Cir Bucal 2006;11:E309-14.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.