ASSESS THE PREVALANCE OF PREMENSTRUAL SYNDROME AMONG ADOLESCENT GIRLS AT SRM COLLEGE OF NURSING , SRM UNIVERSITY, KATTANKULATHUR
Objective: The aim of this study was to determine the prevalence of premenstrual syndrome (PMS) among adolescent girls and to associate the PMS with demographic variables.
Methods: Quantitative approach and non-experimental descriptive research design was used. The data collection included three parts. Part A: Demographic variables, Part B: Clinical variables, and Part C: A structured questionnaire to assess the prevalence of PMS among adolescent girls. A total of 100 students who fulfilled the inclusion criteria were chosen as samples using non-probability convenient sampling technique. The study was conducted at SRM College of Nursing, SRM University, Kattankulathur.
Results: The data were analyzed and interpreted based on the objectives using descriptive and inferential statistics. The study concluded that 26 (26%) of adolescent girls have mild level of PMS; 55 (55%) have moderate level of PMS; and 19 (19%) have severe level of PMS and there is no association between the â€œdemographic variablesâ€ and the â€œlevels of PMS.â€
Conclusion: PMS is an issue that every girl and woman has to deal with in her life. There is a lack of information on the process of menstruation and the physical and psychological changes associated with this and proper requirements for managing PMS. The current study proved that most of the adolescent girls were suffering from PMSs.
2. American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. Premenstrual syndrome management guidelines for Obstetrics-Gynecologists. ACOG Practice Bulletin. Washington (DC): 2000;15:1-9
3. Nour mohammad bakhshani conducted a study on premenstrual syndrome symptomatology among married women of fertile age based on methods of contraception (hormonal versus non-hormonal methods of contraception) October 29, 2013,vol2;2014,page.no 105-111.
4. Manal ahmad al-batanony conducted a study on Work-Related Health Effects among Wastewater Treatment Plants Workers, Aug 7, 2011,237-244.
5. Navdeep kaur conducted a study to assess the premenstrual syndrome and coping behaviour among nursing students ,nine pgimer ,Chandigarh, jan,2009vol-5,no(1);1-5.
6. Malineesangthawan conducted study on The study of premenstrual syndrome and premenstrual dysphoria,1999,nov3
7. Maxwell J.walsh Text book office Gynaecology 4th edition Williams &willkins publications page no 259,253.
8. John .T.E.richarson, Text book of Gynaecology 12th edition B.T.Churchill Livingstone publication 1999 page no 226.
9. William F.Rayburn Text book of Obstetrical and Gynaecology 3rd edition B.I.Iravely publication1996 page no 311-315
10. Yang J conducted a research study related to Survey of premenstrual symptom severity and impairment in Korean adolescents.2014,jan1427-37. .[pubmed]
11. Desalegn Asmare conducted a study on prevalence of premenstrual syndrome and associated factors among Debrebirhan town, north showa, Amhara Religion, Ethiopia.2015,mar43-65 .[pubmed]
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.