A STABILITY-INDICATING AND VALIDATED REVERSE-PHASE HIGH-PERFORMANCE LIQUID CHROMATOGRAPHIC METHOD FOR THE SIMULTANEOUS ESTIMATION OF PHENYLEPHRINE AND FEXOFENADINE IN BULK AND TABLET DOSAGE FORMS
Objective: A simple and accurate stability indicating reversed-phase high-performance liquid chromatography method was developed and validated
for the simultaneous estimation of phenylephrine and fexofenadine in pharmaceutical dosage forms.
Methods: Chromatography was carried out on an ODS C-18 column (4.6 mmÃ—250 mm, 5 Âµ particle size) with a isocratic mobile phase composed of
orthophosphoric acid buffer, acetonitrile, (75:25% v/v) at a flow rate of 1 mL/minutes. The column temperature was maintained at 30Â°C and the
detection was carried out using a photodiode array detector at 210 nm.
Results: The retention times for phenylephrine and fexofenadine were 2.096 minutes and 4.241 minutes, respectively. The percentage recoveries
of phenylephrine and fexofenadine were 100.63% and 99.84%, respectively. The relative standard deviation for assay of tablets was found to be
<2%. The detection and quantification limits were found to be 0.10 and 0.31 Âµg/mL for phenylephrine and 0.01 and 0.03 Âµg/mL for fexofenadine,
Conclusion: Thus, the method was fast, accurate, precise, and sensitive; hence, it can be employed for routine quality control of tablets containing
both drugs in quality control laboratories and pharmaceutical industries.
Keywords: Phenylephrine, Fexofenadine, Stability indicating method, Validation method, Reversed-phase high performance liquid chromatography.
1. Available from: http://www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phenylephrine.
2. Available from: http://www.scbt.com/datasheet-CAS 61-76-7
3. Available from: http://www.drugbank.ca/drugs/DB00388
4. Available from: http://www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fexofenadine.
5. Available from: http://www.scbt.com/datasheet - CAS 83799-24-0.
6. Available from: http://www.drugbank.ca/drugs/DB00950
7. Bhushan B, Baghel US, Singh R, Kumar Y. RP-HPLC method
development for the estimation of levocetirizine and phenylephrine
hydrochloride in combined dosage form. Int J Pharm Med Res
8. Nanaware DA, Bhusari VK, Dhaneshwar SR. Validated HPLC method
for simultaneous quantitation of levocetrizine dihydrochloride and
phenylephrine hydrochloride in bulk drug and formulation. IAJPR
9. Buchupalli P, Medidi S. RP-HPLC method for the simultaneous
estimation of ambroxol hydrochloride and fexofenadine hydrochloride
in bulk and in a tablet mixture. J Appl Pharm Sci 2015;5(2):74-80.
10. Patel KB, Thula KC, Maheshwari DG. Stability indicating HPLC
method for simultaneous estimation of ciprofloxacin and phenylephrine
in pharmaceutical dosage form. Pharmacophore 2014;5(2):262-72.
11. Pankhaniya M, Patel P, Shah JS. Stability-indicating HPLC method
for simultaneous determination of montelukast and fexofenadine
hydrochloride. Indian J Pharm Sci 2013;75(3):284-90.
12. Wankhede SB, Lad KA, Chitlange SS. Development and validation
of UV-spectrophotometric methods for simultaneous estimation of
cetirizine hydrochloride and phenylephrine hydrochloride in tablets. Int
J Pharm Sci Drug Res 2012;4(3):222-6.
13. ICH Q2B. Guidelines on validation of analytical procedure -
Methodology. Fed Regist 1996;60:27464.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.