CYSTICERCOSIS OF BREAST PRESENTING AS FIBROADENOMA
Breast lump is a common diagnostic problem both to the general practitioner and to the surgeons. However, rare breast lesions are often misdiagnosed
clinically with other diagnoses. We present a case of cysticercosis of breast in a 23-year-old woman presented with a 3-month history of right
breast lump. Clinical examination revealed a mobile, painless, 2.0 cm mass in the right breast similar to fibroadenoma. The axilla and nipples had
no abnormalities. The patient underwent resection of the mass, and a cystic lesion was found. Microscopic examination revealed a cystic cavity
containing larvae and it consistent with cysticerci. Characteristic features of this uncommon location are discussed based on a review of the literature.
This case report emphasizes the fact that although the breast is unusual site for cysticercosis, it should be considered as differential diagnosis while
dealing with a painless, freely mobile lump in the breast, especially in the endemic area.
Keywords: Breast, Cysticercosis, Histopathology.
1. Paras KP, Nikhil M, Ashwani K, Anshul S, Reetinder C, Pankaj G, et al.
Cysticercosis breast - A rare entity. J Surg Acad 2013;3(1):19-21.
2. GarcÃa HH, Gilman RH, Gonzalez AE, Verastegui M, Rodriguez S,
Gavidia C, et al. Hyperendemic human and porcine Taenia solium
infection in PerÃº. Am J Trop Med Hyg 2003;68(3):268-75.
3. Nirmala C, Latha B. Disseminated cysticercosis. J Evol Med Dent Sci
4. Khurana N, Jain S. Cytomorphological spectrum of cysticercosis--A
review of 132 cases. Indian J Pathol Microbiol 1999;42(3):303-5.
5. Anuradha B, Bodhireddy SR, Sharrif, Moode B, Kasetty C, Brahmaiah J.
Cysticercosis of breast: A rare encounter. J Clin Sci Res 2015;4:232-3.
6. Markell EK, John DT, Krotoski WA. Markell and Vogeâ€™s Medical
ed. Philadelphia, PA: Saunders; 1999.
7. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Neglected Tropical
Diseases. Available from: http://www.cdc.gov/parasites/cysticercosis/.
[Last accessed on 2016 Jun 21].
8. Geetha TV, Krishnand BR, Chitra GP. Cysticercosis of breast: A rare
presentation. J Nepal Med Assoc 2000;39:184-5.
9. Alagaratnam TT, Wing YK, Tuen H. Cysticercosis of the breast. Am J
Trop Med Hyg 1988;38(3):601-2.
10. Kunkel JM, Hawksley CA. Cysticercosis presenting as a solitary
dominant breast mass. Hum Pathol 1987;18(11):1190-1.
11. Karthikeyan TM, Manimaran D, Mrinalini VR. Cysticercus of the
breast which mimicked a fibroadenoma: A rare presentation. J Clin
Diagn Res 2012;6(9):1555-6.
12. Sah SP, Jha PC, Gupta AK, Raj GA. An incidental case of breast
cysticercosis associated with fibroadenoma. Indian J Pathol Microbiol
13. Amatya BM, Kimula Y. Cysticercosis in Nepal: A histopathologic study
of sixty-two cases. Am J Surg Pathol 1999;23(10):1276-9.
14. Agrawal R. Soft tissue cysticercosis: Study of 21 cases. J Clin Diagn
15. Naik D, Srinath M, Kumar A. Soft tissue cysticercosis - Ultrasonographic
spectrum of the disease. Indian J Radiol Imaging 2011;21(1):60-2.
16. Sahai K, Kapila K, Verma K. Parasites in fine needle breast aspirates-Assessment
of host tissue response. Postgrad Med J 2002;78(917):165-7.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.