EVALUTION OF IN VITRO ANTI-ANGIOGENESIS ACTIVITY ON METHANOLIC EXTRACT OF Clematis buchaniana PLANT
Objective: Angiogenesis plays an important role in embryonic development and various physiological processes. However, excessive angiogenesis is associated with several pathological conditions including cancer. Clematis is a genus of about 300 species within the buttercup family Ranunculaceae. It is native to the India, where has been used as folk medicine for the treatment of various ailments. This work is aimed to evaluate the antiangiogenesis activity in the crude methanolic extract of Clematis buchaniana plant.
Methods: The entire aerial parts of C. buchaniana were extracted by soxhelation in methanol. Then, the solvent was evaporated to dryness to yield the dried crude extract of C. buchaniana. Then, the extract was subjected to preliminary phytochemical screening to determine the active constituents for effective pharmacological activity. The in-vitro antiangiogenesis effects were later evaluated using chorioallantoic membrane model carried out by incubation in fresh chickenâ€™s eggs.
Results: The crude methanolic extract of C. buchaniana was found to have slight ability to inhibit angiogenesis that was evaluated by visualization.
Conclusion: C. buchaniana plant extract inhibits angiogenesis by blocking normal vascularization in chick embryo. The ability of inhibiting angiogenic process in eggs by this extract can provide us an herbal anticancer agent in future for further scrutiny.
Keywords: Antiangiogenesis, Chorioallantoic membrane, Incubation, Angiogenesis, Clematis buchaniana, Methanolic extract.
2. Folkman J. Angiogenesis in cancer, vascular, rheumatoid and other disease. Nat Med 1995;1(1):27-31.
3. Risau W. Mechanisms of angiogenesis. Nature 1997;386(6626):671-
4. Ferrara N. Role of vascular endothelial growth factor in regulation of physiological angiogenesis. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol
5. Folkman J. Angiogenesis and apoptosis. Semin Cancer Biol
6. Parehk JT, Jigna T. Potency of some Medicinal Flora: Phytochemical and Pharmacological Evaluation. Thesis Ph.D. Saurashtra University;
7. Staton CA, Stribbling SM, Tazzyman S, Hughes R, Brown NJ, Lewis CE. Current methods for assaying angiogenesis in vitro and in vivo. Int J Exp Pathol 2004;85(5):233-48.
8. Clifford MJ. Angiogenesis Protocols. New Jersey: Humana Press Inc.;
2001. p. 185-205.
9. Mosmann T. Rapid colorimetric assay for cellular growth and survival: Application to proliferation and cytotoxicity assays. J Immunol Methods 1983;65(1-2):55-63.
10. Tiwari A, Singh A. Synthesis and evaluation of possible mechanism of anti-nociceptive potential of novel 2-quinolone fused
3,5-pyrazolidinedione derivatives in experimental animal models. Ovidius Univ Ann Chem 2013;24:5-12.
11. Staton CA, Reed MW, Brown NJ. A critical analysis of current in vitro
and in vivo angiogenesis assays. Int J Exp Pathol 2009;90(3):195-221.
12. Brown KJ, Maynes SF, Bezos A, Maguire DJ, Ford MD, Parish CR.
A novel in vitro assay for human angiogenesis. Lab Invest
13. Folkman J. Fundamental concepts of the angiogenic process. Curr Mol
14. Nieves BJ, Dâ€™Amore PA, Bryan BA. The function of vascular endothelial growth factor. Biofactors 2009;35(4):332-7.
15. van Hinsbergh VW, Koolwijk P, Hanemaaijer R. Role of fibrin and plasminogen activators in repair-associated angiogenesis: In vitro studies with human endothelial cells. EXS 1997;79:391-411.
16. Tiwari A, Tiwari V, Vankataramana CH, Madhvan V. Synthesis of novel pyrazolidine-3,5-dione substituted benzimidazole derivatives and their biological activity. Asian J Chem 2011;23:1179-82.
17. Tiwari V, Tiwari A, Madhvan V. Preliminary photochemical analysis, HPTLC studies and antipyretic activity of alcohol and aqueous extract of Helicteres isora L. root. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci
18. Tiwari V, Singh A. Anti-nociceptive and anti-oxidant potential of Bauhinia tomentosa extracts in experimental animal models. Natl Prod J 2013;3(4):309-16.
19. Tiwari V, Singh A, Tiwari A. Pharmacognostical, phyto-chemical and antimicrobial activity of Bauhinia tomentosa L. JPR 2011;4(4):1173-5.
20. Tiwari A, Singh A. Synthesis and antinociceptive activity of novel mannich base derivatives of some new fused 3,5-pyrazolidinedione. J Adv Pharm Technol Res 2014;5(1):41-7.
21. Arora M, Tiwari A, Kumar A, Saini R, Bisht M. Evaluation of in vitro anti-inflammatory potential of the methanolic extract Clematis Buchaniana plant. Pharm Chem J 2016;3(2):359-363.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.