ROLE OF COMMUNITY PHARMACIST AND NUTRITIONISTS IN OBESITY MANAGEMENT: A LITERATURE REVIEW
The idea of engaging community pharmacists and nutritionists in weight management services has been well accepted by the community, as both can help to improve behavior and knowledge regarding obesity among obese patients. The aim of this study is to summarize research findings from developed and developing countries as well as from Pakistan regarding role of community pharmacists and nutritionists in obesity management. A total of 38 studies were reviewed regarding trends in obesity management. The review concluded that the role of community pharmacists and nutritionists in obesity management is not well acknowledged in most of the developing countries including Pakistan. Limited data are available on a number of nutritionists and type of services provided by them for weight management in these countries. There is urgent need to identify the barriers and gaps to further enhance the effectiveness of obesity management. Beside this intervention studies involving multi-disciplinary health- care professionals must be designed to control current obesity crisis worldwide.
Keywords: Community pharmacists, Counseling, Nutritionists, Obesity, Weight management program.
and prevention of obesity. Am J Clin Nutr 2005;82 1 Suppl:226S-9.
2. Warburton DE, Nicol CW, Bredin SS. Health benefits of physical
activity: The evidence. CMAJ 2006;174(6):801-9.
3. Harvey EL, Summerbell CD, Kirk SF, Hill AJ. Dietitiansâ€™ views of
overweight and obese people and reported management practices.
J Hum Nutr Diet 2002;15(5):331-47.
4. Mauro M, Taylor V, Wharton S, Sharma AM. Barriers to obesity
treatment. Eur J Intern Med 2008;19(3):173-80.
5. Moore H, Summerbell CD, Greenwood DC, Tovey P, Griffiths J,
Henderson M, et al. Improving management of obesity in primary care:
Cluster randomised trial. BMJ 2003;327(7423):1085.
6. WHO. Obesity and Overweight Fact Sheet N311. 2015. 4/9/2015.
Available from: http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs311/en/.
7. Davis NJ, Emerenini A, Wylie-Rosett J. Obesity management:
Physician practice patterns and patient preference. Diabetes Educ
8. Huda AH, Yousif AR, Israa MM. Knowledge, attitude and practice
regarding obesity management among family and non family physicians
working in primary health care centers in Baghdad. Iraqi Postgrad Med
9. Fox NJ, Ward KJ, Oâ€™Rourke AJ. The â€˜expert patientâ€™: Empowerment or
medical dominance? The case of weight loss, pharmaceutical drugs and
the Internet. Soc Sci Med 2005;60(6):1299-309.
10. Boardman HF, Avery A. Effectiveness of a community pharmacy
weight management programme. Int J Clin Pharm 2014;36(4):800-6.
11. Bleich SN, Bandara S, Bennett W, Cooper LA, Gudzune KA.
Enhancing the role of nutrition professionals in weight management:
A cross-sectional survey. Obesity (Silver Spring) 2015;23(2):454-60.
12. Fakih S, Hussainy S, Marriott J. Women pharmacy consumersâ€™
experiences with weight loss treatment across Victoria, Australia. Int J
Clin Pharm 2013;35(6):1120-9.
13. Weidmann AE, Cunningham S, Gray G, Hansford D, Bermano G,
Stewart D. Views of the Scottish general public on community pharmacy
weight management services: International implications. Int J Clin
14. Ahrens R, Hower M, Best A. Effects of weight reduction interventions
by community pharmacists. J Am Pharm Assoc 2003;43(5):583-9.
15. Oâ€™Neal KS, Crosby KM. Patientsâ€™ perceptions of a pharmacist-managed
weight management clinic in a community setting. Res Social Adm
16. Lang A, Froelicher E. Management of overweight and obesity in adults:
Behavioral intervention for long-term weight loss and maintenance.
Eur J Cardiovasc Nurs 2006;5(2):102-14.
17. Awad A, Waheedi M. Community pharmacists role in obesity treatment
in Kuwait: A cross-sectional study. BMC Public Health 2012;12:863.
18. Barratt J. Diet-related knowledge, beliefs and actions of health
professionals compared with the general population: An investigation in a community Trust. J Hum Nutr Dietet 2001;14(1):25-32.
19. Davis Martin P, Rhode PC, Dutton GR, Redmann SM, Ryan DH,
Brantley PJ. A primary care weight management intervention for
low-income African-American women. Obesity (Silver Spring)
20. Puhl R, Wharton C, Heuer C. Weight bias among dietetics
students: Implications for treatment practices. J Am Dietetic Assoc
21. Weiss JL, Malone FD, Emig D, Ball RH, Nyberg DA, Comstock CH,
et al. Obesity, obstetric complications and cesarean delivery
rate--A population-based screening study. Am J Obst Gynecol
22. Robert IB, Wadden TA, Tershakovec AM, Cronquist JL. Behavior
therapy and sibutramine for the treatment of adolescent obesity a
randomized controlled trial. J Am Med Assoc 2003;289(14):1805-12.
23. Basu S, Vellakkal S, Agrawal S, Stuckler D, Popkin B, Ebrahim S.
Averting obesity and type 2 diabetes in India through sugar-sweetened
beverage taxation: An economic-epidemiologic modeling study. PLoS
24. Phelan S, Nallari M, Darroch FE, Wing RR. What do physicians
recommend to their overweight and obese patients? J Am Board Fam
25. Um IS, Armour C, Krass I, Gill T, Chaar BB. Weight management in
community pharmacy: What do the experts think? Int J Clin Pharm
26. Lloyd KB, Thrower MR, Walters NB, Krueger KP, Stamm PL,
Evans RL. Implementation of a weight management pharmaceutical
care service. Ann Pharmacother 2007;41(2):185-92.
27. van Gerwen M, Franc C, Rosman S, Le Vaillant M, Pelletier-Fleury N.
Primary care physiciansâ€™ knowledge, attitudes, beliefs and practices
regarding childhood obesity: A systematic review. Obes Rev
28. Low S, Chin MC, Ma S, Heng D, Deurenberg-Yap M. Rationale for
redefining obesity in Asians. Ann Acad Med Singapore 2009;38(1):66-9.
29. Dressler H, Smith C. Food choice, eating behavior, and food liking
differs between lean/normal and overweight/obese, low-income
women. Appetite 2013;65:145-52.
30. Veronica GP, Coles C, Logan BN, Davis L. The LIFE project:
A community-based weight loss intervention program for rural African
American women. Fam Community Health 2010;33(2):133-43.
31. Mills S. Evaluation of an adult weight management service delivered
by pharmacies and GP practices. University of Chester; 2011.
32. Krska G, Lovelady C, Connolly D, Parmar S, Davies MJ. Community
pharmacy contribution to weight management: Identifying
opportunities. Int J Pharm Pract 2010;18(1):7-12.
33. Jaworowska A, Bazylak G. An outbreak of body weight dissatisfaction
associated with self-perceived BMI and dieting among female
pharmacy students. Biomed Pharmacother 2009;63(9):679-92.
34. Nowicka P. Dietitians and exercise professionals in a childhood obesity
treatment team. Acta Paediatr Suppl 2005;94(448):23-9.
35. Rebecca P, Kelly DB. Bias, discrimination, and obesity. Obes Res J
36. Stark CM, Graham-Kiefer ML, Devine CM, Dollahite JS, Olson CM.
Online course increases nutrition professionalsâ€™ knowledge, skills, and
self-efficacy in using an ecological approach to prevent childhood
obesity. J Nutr Educ Behav 2011;43(5):316-22.
37. Kris YL, Chan RS, Sea MM, Woo J. Nutritionistâ€™s variation in
counseling style and the effect on weight change of patients attending
a community based lifestyle modification program. Int J Environ Res
Public Health 2010;7(2):413-26.
38. Shah SM, Nanan D, Rahbar MH, Rahim M, Nowshad G. Assessing
obesity and overweight in a high mountain Pakistani population. Trop
Med Int Health 2004;9(4):526-32.
39. Saleem MD, Ahmed G, Mulla J, Haider SS, Abbas M. Weight
misperception amongst youth of a developing country: Pakistan -a
cross-sectional study. BMC Public Health 2013;13:707.
40. Nanan DJ. The obesity pandemic â€“ Implications for Pakistan. J Pak
Med Assoc 2002;52(8):342-6.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.