FATTY ACIDS COMPOSITION IN MACADAMIA SEDES OIL (MACADAMIA INTEGRIFOLIA) FROM ECUADOR
Objective: The aim of this study was to determine the fatty acids composition in a macadamia seeds oil sample cultivated in Ecuador.
Materials & Methods: macadamia oil was obtained of macadamia seeds using the cold pressing method. Fatty acids analysis was carried out using the Gas Chromathography method with a Mass Selective Detector (GC/MSD) and using the data base Library NIST14.L to identify the compounds.
Results: macadamia seeds have a high content of unsaturated fatty acids with 41.36% of oleic acid. Macadamia seeds oil has 37.77% of polyunsaturated fatty acids of which 3.79% É·6 Î±- Linoleic and 33.98% of É·3 Î±- Linolenic. Macadamia seeds only have 9.33% of palmitic acid.Â
Conclusions: Macadamia seeds are a good source of monounsaturated fatty acids oleic acid and with a good content of É·6 Î±- Linoleic and É·3 Î±- Linolenic. This profile enables their use as a good and healthy oil to be used in the food industry in Ecuador.Â
Keywords: Macadamia, Macadamia integrifolia, Fatty acids, Gas chromatography-mass selective detector, Methyl ester, Omega acids.
2. Ros E. Health benefits of nut consumption. Nutrients 2010;2:652-82.
3. Ros E. Nuts and CVD. Br J Nutr 2015;113 Suppl 2:S111-20.
4. Jitngarmkusol S, Hongsuwankul J, Tananuwong K. Chemical compositions, functional properties, and microstructure of defatted macadamia flours. Food Chem 2008;110:23-30.
5.Wallace HM. Walton 19 - Macadamia (Macadamia integrifolia, Macadamia tetraphylla and hybrids) A2 - Yahia, Elhadi M. Postharvest
Biology and Technology of Tropical and Subtropical Fruits. Oxford:
Woodhead Publishing; 2011. p. 450-74.
6.Dahler JM, McConchie CA, Turnbull CG. Quantifi cation of cyanogenic glycosides in seedlings of three Macadamia (Proteaceae) species. Aust7. Navarro SL, Rodrigues CE. Macadamia oil extraction methods and uses for the defatted meal byproduct. Trends Food Sci Technol 2016;54:148-54.
8. Monaghan K. Chemical Composition and Protein Antigenicity-Almond (Prunusdulcis) and Macadamia (Macadamia integrifolia) (PhD Degree Dissertation). Florida: Florida State University; 2008.
9. Maro LA, Pio R, Edos SP, Oliveira MC, Prates FC, Lima, LC, et al.
Chemical characterization and fatty acids profile in macadamia walnut cultivars. Cien Rural 2012;42:2166-71.
10. INC. Macadamias. In: Nuts and Dried Fruits Nuts and Dried Fruits
Global Statistical Review. Reus, Espanha: Inter Nut and Dried Fruit;
2014. p. 30-3.
11. Laohasongkram K, Mahamaktudsanee T, Chaiwanichsiri S. Microencapsulation of Macadamia oil by spray drying. Proc Food Sci, 2011; 1:1660-5..
12. Vadivel V, Kunyanga CN, Biesalski HK. Health benefits of nutconsumption with special reference to body weight control. Nutrition 2012;28(11-12):1089-97.
13. GutiÃ©rrez LF, Rosada LM, JimÃ©nez A. Chemical composition of Sacha Inchi (Plukenetia volubilis L.) seeds andcharacteristics of their lipid fraction. Grasas Aceites 2011;62(1):76-83.
14. House SD, Larson PA, Johnson RR, DeVries JW, Martin DL. Gas chromatographic determination of total fat extracted from food samples using hydrolysis in the presence of antioxidant. J AOAC Int
15. LÃ³pez-Miranda J, PÃ©rez-JimÃ©nez F, Ros E, De Caterina R, BadimÃ³n L, Covas MI, et al. Olive oil and health: Summary of the II International Conference on olive oil and health consensus report, JaÃ©n and CÃ³rdoba (Spain) 2008. Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis 2010;20:284-94.
16. Huffman SL, Harika RK, Eilander A, Osendarp SJ. Essential fats: How do they affect growth and development of infants and young children in developing countries? A literature review. Matern Child Nutr 2011;7 Suppl 3:44-65.
17. Stevenson DG, Eller FJ, Wang L, Jane JL, Wang T, Inglett GE. Oil and tocopherol content and composition of pumpkin seed oil in 12 cultivars. J Agric Food Chem 2007;55(10):4005-13.
18. Theresia JJ, Austin PC, Kelly V, Mary A, Wei L, Joyce LK, et al.
Evaluation of fattyacid and mineral content of Tanzanian seeds and oils. J Food Comp Anal. Available from: http://www.dx.doi.org/10.1016/j. jfca.2016.05.016.
19. Yoshida H, Tomiyama Y, Hirakawa Y, Mizushina Y. Variations in the composition of acyl lipids and triacylglycerolmolecular species of pumpkin seeds (Cucurbita spp.) followingmicrowave treatment. Eur J Lipid Sci Technol 2004;106(2):101-9.
20. Bernardo-Gil MG, Lopes, LM. Supercritical fluidextraction of Cucurbita ficifolia seed oil. Eur Food Res Technol 2004;219(6):593-7.
21. Yu W, Zhao Y, Chen J, Shu B. Comparison of twokinds of pumpkin seed oils obtained by supercritical CO2 extraction. Eur J Lipid Sci Technol 2004;106(6):355-8.
22. Applequist WL, Avula B, Schaneberg BT, Wang YH, Khan IA.
Comparative fatty acid content of seeds of four Cucurbita species grown in a common (shared) garden. J Food Compos Anal 2006,
19 (6-7): 606-611.
23. Tsaknis J, Lalas S, Lazos ES. Characterization of crude andpurified pumpkin seed oil. Grasas Aceites 1997;48(5):267-72.
24. Kamel BS, de Man JM, Blackman B. Nutritional, fattyacid and oil characteristics of different agricultural seeds. J Food Technol
25. Gillingham LG, Harris-Janz S, Jones PJ. Dietary monounsaturated fatty acidsare protective against metabolic syndrome and cardiovascular disease risk factors. Lipids 2011;46(3):209-28.
26. Casas R, Sacanella E, UrpÃ-SardÃ M, Corella D, CastaÃ±er O,Lamuela-Raventos RM, et al. Long-term immunomodulatory effects of a mediterranean diet in adults at high risk of cardiovascular disease in the prevenciÃ³n con dieta mediterrÃ¡nea (PREDIMED) randomized controlled trial. J Nutr 2016;146:1684-93.
27. Panunzio MF, Caporizzi R, Antoniciello A, Cela EP, Ferguson LR, Dâ€™Ambrosio P. Randomized, controlled nutrition education trial promotes a Mediterranean diet and improves anthropometric, dietary, and metabolicparameters in adults. Ann Ig 2011;23(1):13-25.
28. Fuentes F, Lopez-Miranda J, Perez-Martinez P, Jimenez Y, Marin C, Gomez P, et al. Chronic effectsof a high-fat diet enriched with virgin olive oil and a low-fat diet enriched withalpha-linolenic acid on postprandial endothelial function in healthy men. Br J Nutr
2008;100(1):159-65. 29. Hu FB, Satija A, Rimm EB, Spiegelman D, Sampson L, Rosner B, et al. Diet assessment methods in the Nursesâ€™ Health Studies and contribution to evidence-based nutritional policies and guidelines. Am J Public Health 2016;106(9):1567-72.
30. Venkatachalam M, Sathe SK. Chemical composition of selected edible nut seeds. J Agric Food Chem 2006;54:4705-14.
31. Phatanayindee S, Borompichaichartkul C, Srzednicki G, Craske J, Wootton M. Changes of chemical and physical quality attributes of Macadamia nutsduring hybrid drying and processing. Dry Technol
32. Kaijser A, Dutta P, Savage G. Oxidative stability and lipid composition ofmacadamia nuts grown in New Zealand. Food Chem 2000;71(1):67-70.
33. Firestone D, editor. In: Physical and Chemical Characteristics of Oils, Fats, and Waxes. Washington, DC: AOCS Press; 2006.
34. CFSAN/Office of Nutritional Products, L.A.D.S. Letter Responding to Health ClaimPetition dated August 28, 2003: Monounsaturated Fatty Acids from Olive Oil andCoronary Heart Disease (Docket No 2003Q- 0559); 2004.
35. EFSA. Scientific Opinion on the substantiation of health claims related topolyphenols in olive and protection of LDL particles from oxidative damage (ID 1333, 1638, 1639, 1696, 2865), maintenance of normal blood HDL cholesterolconcentrations (ID 1639), maintenance of normal blood pressure (ID 3781), â€œanti-inflammatory propertiesâ€ (ID 1882), â€œcontributes to the upper respiratory tracthealthâ€ (ID 3468), â€œcan help to maintain a normal function of gastrointestinal tractâ€(3779), and â€œcontributes to body defences against external agentsâ€ (ID 3467) pursuant to article 13(1) of regulation (EC) No 1924/2006. EFSA J 2011;9(4):2033-58.
36. Bondia-Pons I, Schroder H, Covas MI, Castellote AI, Kaikkonen J, Poulsen HE, et al. Moderateconsumption of olive oil by healthy European men reduces systolic blood pressure in non-Mediterranean participants. J Nutr 2007;137(1):84-7.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.