QUANTITATIVE ESTIMATION OF RUTIN IN RUE (RUTA GRAVEOLENS L.) CULTIVATED IN IRAQ WITH THE EVALUATION OF ITS ANTIOXIDANT ACTIVITY
Objective: This study was designed to estimate the quantity of the flavonoid glycoside (rutin) as an important active compound in rue plant grown in
Iraq with the evaluation of its antioxidant activity.
Methods: The cultivated rue plant at the garden of medicinal plant in the pharmacognosy and medicinal plants department was collected and dried at room temperature. Total flavonoids content was determined using aluminum chloride method, and a standard calibration curve is used for estimation of rutin glycoside. Antioxidant activity of the ethanolic extract was measured using the (1,1-diphenyl-2-picrylhydrazyl radical).
Results: The results were showed that 100 g of the plant produced 7 g powdered extract, and each gram of the extract contains 133 mg rutin. The extract showed a positive antioxidant activity as compared with standard quercetin.
Conclusion: Ruta graveolens plant contains the flavonoid glycoside rutin which showed antioxidant activity; therefore, further studies are required to identify other constituents in this plant.
Keywords: Rue, Rutin, Flavonoids and antioxidant.
2. Lien A, Hua H, Chuong P. Free radicals, antioxidants in disease and health. Int J Biomed Sci 2008;4(2):89-96.
3. Mitchell K, Ece AM, Mark B, Jeremy ZF, Ali B, Ali K. Use of herbal in the treatment of oxidant-mediated inflammatory disorders. Complement Ther Med 2007;15(3):207-16.
4. Pollio A, De Natale A, Appetiti E, Aliotta G, Touwaide A. Continuity
and change in the Mediterranean medical tradition: Ruta spp. (Rutaceae)
in Hippocratic medicine and present practices. J Ethnopharmacol
5. Pirouzpanah S, Rashidi MR, Delazar A, Razavieh SV, Hamidi A.
Inhibitory effects of Ruta graveolens L. Extract on guinea pig liver aldehyde oxidase. Chem Pharm Bull (Tokyo) 2006;54(1):9-13.
6. Kelly EH, Anthony R, Tagliaferro D, Bobilya J. Flavonoid antioxidants: Chemistry, metabolism and structure-activity relationships. J Nutr Biochem 2002;13(10):572-84.
7. Sofic E, Cobra-Janicijevic A, Salehovic M, Kroyer G. Screening of
medicinal plant extracts for quercetin-3-rutinoside (rutin) in Bosnia and
Herzegovina. Med Plants 2010;2(2):97-102.
8. Chia-Chi C, Ming-Hua Y, Hwei-Mei W, Jiing-Chuan C. Estimation of total flavonoid content in propolis by two complementary colorimetric methods. J Food Drug Anal 2002;10(3):178-82.
9. Pourmorad F, Hosseinimehr SJ, Shahabimajd N. Antioxidant activity, phenol and flavonoid contents of some selected Iranian medicinal plants. Afr J Biotechnol 2006;5(11):1142-5.
10. Sudjarwo SA. Mechanism of endothelial cell protection by quercetin in hypercholesterolemia. Res Pharm Biotechnol 2011;3(9):123-7.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.