IMPROVEMENT OF DISSOLUTION RATE OF VALSARTAN BY SOLID DISPERSION SYSTEM USING D(âˆ’) MANNITOL
Objective: To improve dissolution rate of valsartan from solid dispersion system of valsartan and D(âˆ’) mannitol using co-grinding approach.
Methods: Valsartan solid dispersion with different ratio of D(âˆ’) mannitol (1:1; 1:3 and 1: 5) were prepared by co-grinding method. Solid state
characterization of the solid dispersion system was evaluated in term of crystallographic properties (powder X-ray diffraction), thermal behavior
(differential scanning calorimetry [DSC]) and morphology (scanning electron microscope). The profile of dissolution rate was examined using USP
dissolution apparatus type I at a temperature of 37Â±0.5Â°C.
Results: Based on thermal analysis DSC and powder X-ray diffraction analysis, valsartan was transformed from semicrystalline phase to amorphous
state as indicated by the disappearance of its melting endothermic peaks and the characteristic diffraction peaks. The in vitro dissolution rate study
revealed that all solid dispersion system showed significant increase in dissolution rate compared with the intact valsartan.
Conclusion: Solid dispersion of valsartan with D(âˆ’) mannitol prepared by co-grinding technique has successfully improved the dissolution rate
compared with intact valsartan.
Keywords: Valsartan, D(âˆ’) mannitol, Solid dispersion, Co-grinding, Dissolution rate.
1. HÃ¶rter D, Dressman JB. Influence of physicochemical properties on dissolution of drugs in the gastrointestinal tract. Adv Drug Del Rev 2001;46(1):75-87.
2. Chadha R, Bala M, Arora P, Jain DV, Pissurlenkar RR, Coutinho EC. Valsartan inclusion by methyl-Î²-cyclodextrin: Thermodynamics, molecular modelling, Tween 80 effect and evaluation. Carbohydr Polym 2014;103:300-9.
3. Zaini E, Wahyuni YS, Halim A, Yuliandra Y. Preparation of eutectic mixture of ketoprofen and nicotinamide for enhanced dissolution rate. Int J Pharm Sci Rev Res 2015;35(1):161-4.
4. Alatas F, Ratih H, Soewandhi SN. Enhancement of solubility and dissolution rate of telmisartan by telmisartan-oxalic acid co-crystal formation. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2015;7(3):423-6.
5. Ojha S, Kumar B. Formulation and optimization of chitosan nanoparticles of dimethyl fumarate using box-Behnken design. Int J Appl Pharm 2016;8(4):10-7.
6. Fitriani L, Haqi A, Zaini E. Preparation and characterization of solid dispersion freeze-dried efavirenz-polyvinylpyrrolidone K-30. J Adv Pharm Tech Res 2016;7(3):105-9.
7. Beg S, Swain S, Singh HP, Patra CN, Rao MB. Development, optimization, and characterization of solid self-nanoemulsifying drug delivery systems of valsartan using porous carriers. AAPS PharmSciTech 2012;13(4):1416-27.
8. Ma Q, Sun H, Che E, Zheng X, Jiang T, Sun C, et al. Uniform nano-sized valsartan for dissolution and bioavailability enhancement: Influence of particle size and crystalline state. Int J Pharm 2013;441(1):75-81.
9. Cao QR, Liu Y, Xu WJ, Lee BJ, Yang M, Cui JH. Enhanced oral bioavailability of novel mucoadhesive pellets containing valsartan prepared by a dry powder-coating technique. Int J Pharm 2012;434(1):325-33.
10. Muehlenfeld C, Kann B, Windbergs M, Thommes M. Solid dispersions prepared by continuous cogrinding in an air jet mill. J Pharm Sci 2013;102(11):4132-9.
11. Kim EJ, Chun MK, Jang JS, Lee IH, Lee KR, Choi HK. Preparation of a solid dispersion of felodipine using a solvent wetting method. Eur J Pharm Biopharm 2006;64(2):200-5.
12. Zajc N, Obreza A, Bele M, SrÄiÄ S. Physical properties and dissolution behaviour of nifedipine/mannitol solid dispersions prepared by hot melt method. Int J Pharm 2005;291(1):51-8.
13. Shrivastava AR, Ursekar B, Kapadia CJ. Design, optimization, preparation and evaluation of dispersion granules of valsartan and formulation into tablets. Curr Drug Deliv 2009;6(1):28-37.
14. Yadav PS, Kumar V, Singh UP, Bhat HR, Mazumder B. Physicochemical characterization and in vitro dissolution studies of solid dispersions of ketoprofen with PVP K30 and D-mannitol. Saudi Pharm J 2013;21(1):77-84.
15. Khaleel NY, Abdulrasool AA, Ghareeb MM, Hussain SA. Solubility and dissolution improvement of Ketoprofen by solid dispersion in polymer and surfactant using solvent evaporation method. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2011;3(4):431-5.
16. Salman S, Ardiansyah A, Nasrul E, Rivai H, Ben ES, Zaini E. Physicochemical characterization of amorphous solid dispersion of ketoprofen-polyvinylpyrorolidone K-30. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2014;7(2):209-12.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.