ECHO OF LODHRADI KASHAYA IN LIPID PROFILE OF TYPE 2 DIABETES MELLITUS PATIENTS
Objective: Lipid profile is matter to concern in fast changing lifestyle, and especially in diabetic mellitus (DM) patients. In arena of DM, obesity and high lipid contour is a causative problem and lead to generate the related problems too. Hence, tracking of lipid profile in DM patients is necessary as part of treatment approach. Hence, the present study was conducted to track the effect of Lodhradi Kashaya spray dried (LKSD) powder on lipid profile in Type 2 DM patients.
Methods: Total 31 patients were taken following the guideline mention in Central Council for Research in Ayurveda and Siddha protocol for DM research. They were divided into two groups, Groups A and B and given LKSD (4 and 2 g TDS (three times a day), respectively, dissolved in water) for 3 months. They are investigated for their blood serum creatinine and lipid profile (cholesterol, low-density lipoprotein [LDL], high-density lipoprotein [HDL], very LDL [VLDL], and triglyceride). The patients response has also been noted regarding palatability acceptance and ease of administration. Â
Result: LKSD was found significantly effective in total cholesterol (p=0.001 and 0.073), triglyceride (p=0.002 and 0.003), HDL (pË‚0.001 and 0.026), LDL (p=0.563 and pË‚0.001), and VLDL (p=0.024 and 0.003). Patients had reported that formulation is easy to take in spite of its astringency in taste.
Conclusion: Lodhradi Kashaya has capability to control and take care of disturbance in lipid profile in DM patients and thus enhance their living confidence.
2. Leong A, Porneala B, Dupuis J, Florez JC, Meigs JB. Type 2 diabetes genetic predisposition, obesity, and all-cause mortality risk in the U.S.: A multiethnic analysis. Diabetes Care 2016;39:539-46.
3. Ahima RS. Connecting obesity, aging and diabetes. Nat Med 2009;15(9):996-7.
4. Ganz ML, Wintfeld N, Li Q, Alas V, Langer J, Hammer M. The association of body mass index with the risk of Type 2 diabetes: A case- control study nested in an electronic health records system in the United States. Diabetol Metab Syndr 2014;6(1):50.
5. Uttra KM, Devrajani BM, Shah SZ, Devrajani T, Das T, Raza S, et al. Lipid profile of patients with diabetes mellitus (A multidisciplinary study). World Appl Sci J 2011;12:1382-4.
6. Krauss RM. Lipids and lipoproteins in patients with Type 2 diabetes. Diabetes Care 2004;27(6):1496-504.
7. Gadi R, Samaha FF. Dyslipidemia in Type 2 diabetes mellitus. Curr Diab Rep 2007;7(3):228-34.
8. Khan SR, Ayub N, Nawab S, Shamsi TS. Triglyceride profile in dyslipidaemia of Type 2 diabetes mellitus. J Coll Physicians Surg Pak
9. Lavekar GS. Clinical Research Protocol for Traditional Health Sciences. New Delhi: CCRAS; 2009. p. 459-77.
10. Singh VK, Reddy KRC. Pharmaceutical processing and standardization of modified dosage form of Lodhradi Kashaya as spray dried powder. Int J Green Pharm 2015;9:252-6.
11. Singh VK, Reddy KRC. Standardization of modified dosage form of Lodhradi Kashaya. Asian J Pharm 2016;10 2 Suppl:134-8.
12. Singh VK, Chaudhary AK. Ayurvedic natural excipients: An advance option for modern medicaments. Int J Pharm Sci Res 2016;7:1000-13.
13. Das B, Mitra A, Hazra J. Management of madhumeha (Diabetes mellitus) with evidence and intervention with ayurvedic rasaushadhies. Indian J Tradit Knowl 2011;10:624-8.
14. Neelkanth B. In: Lavekar GS, editor. Basavarajiyam. New Delhi: Central Council for Research in Ayurvedic Sciences; 2007. p. 329.
15. Vallabhacharya. In: Reddy KR, editor. Vaidya Chintamani. Varanasi: Chaukhambha Orientalia Publication; 2013. p. 779-80.
16. Singh VK, Reddy KRC. Clinical appraisal of Lodhradi Kashaya on Type 2 diabetes mellitus patients. Int J Clin Trials 2017;4(1):58-64.
17. Bertoli A, Di Daniele N, Ceccobelli M, Ficara A, Girasoli C, De Lorenzo A. Lipid profile, BMI, body fat distribution, and aerobic fitness in men with metabolic syndrome. Acta Diabetol 2003;40 Suppl 1:S130-3.
18. Hu D, Hannah J, Gray RS, Jablonski KA, Henderson JA, Robbins DC, et al. Effects of obesity and body fat distribution on lipids and lipoproteins in nondiabetic American Indians: The Strong Heart Study. Obes Res 2000;8(6):411-21.
19. Ozder A. Lipid profile abnormalities seen in T2DM patients in primary healthcare in Turkey: A cross-sectional study. Lipids Health Dis 2014;13:183.
20. Gordon L, Ragoobirsingh D, Morrison EY, Choo-Kang E, McGrowder D, Martorell E. Lipid profile of Type 2 diabetic and hypertensive patients in the Jamaican population. J Lab Physicians 2010;2(1):25-30.
21. Singh VK, Reddy KRC. Management of diabetes mellitus and its complications by Lodhra: A review. Int J Ayurvedic Med 2015;6:305-9.
22. Singh VK, Reddy KRC. Review on Lodhradi Kashaya: All-rounder remedy for diabetes mellitus patients. Indian J Tradit Knowl 2017;16(1):100-6.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.