PHYTOCHEMICAL STUDIES AND ANTIMICROBIAL COMPOUNDS FROM FRUIT OF THESPESIA POPULNEA
Objectives: To study the phytochemical analysis and antimicrobial compounds from fruits of Thespesia populnea.
Methods: The determination of antimicrobial activity of fruit extract was done by agar well diffusion method. Active compounds were extracted by
different solvent extraction methods. The presence of active compounds was confirmed by ultraviolet-visible spectrophotometry, Fourier transform
infrared spectroscopy and gas chromatography-mass spectrometry analysis (GC-MS).
Results: The active extract was identified by the GC-MS analysis and it was revealed that the presence of oleic acid, pentadecanoic acid, and N-hexadecanoic acid.
Conclusion: This method adopted and extracted purified active metabolites and can be fruitfully employed for obtaining novel antibiotic compoundsÂ to treat human pathogenic bacterial and fungal diseases.
Keywords: Thespesia populnea (L.), Gas chromatography-mass spectrometry, Fourier transform infrared spectroscopy, Antimicrobial, Phytochemical.
2. Satyanarayana T, Saritha T, Balaji M, Ramesh A, Boini MK. Antihyperglycemic and hypoglycemic effects of Theapesia populnea fruits in normal and alloxan induced diabetes in rabbits. Saudi Pharm J 2004;12:107-11.
3. Ilavarasan R, Vasudevan M, Anbazhagan S, Venkataraman S. Antioxidant activity of Theapesia populnea bark extracts against carbon tetra chloride - Induced liver injury in rats. J Ethnopharmacol 2003;87(2-3):227-30.
4. Kafaru E. Immense Help from Natives Workshop. 1st ed. Lagos, Nigeria: Elizabeth Kafaru; 1994.
5. Chescu DI, Dumitriu IF. Practical Biochemistry. Bucharest: University of Bucharest Publishing House; 1998. p. 105.
6. Parthasarathy R, Ilavarsan R, Karrunakaran CM. Antidiabetic activity of Thespesia populnea bark and leaf extract against streptozotocin induced diabetic rats. Int J Pharm Tech Res 2009;1(4):106-9.
7. Ghosh K, Bhattacharya TK. Preliminary study on the anti-implantation activity of compounds from the extracts of seeds of Thespesia populnea. Indian J Pharmacol 2004;36(5):288-91.
8. Moon A, Khan A, Wadher B. Antibacterial potential of Thespesia populnea (Linn.) Sol. Ex Corr. Leaves and its corresponding and drug resistant isolates. Indian J Nat Prod Resour 2010;1(4):444-9.
9. Moon AN, Khan A, Wadher BJ. Evaluation of phytochemical and antibacterial properties of medicinal plants. J Curr Sci 2006;9(1):219-26.
10. Harborne JB. Phytochemical Methods: A Guide to Modern Technique of Plant Analysis. London: Chapman and Hall; 1973. p. 271.
11. Nandhini SU, Sangareshwari S, Lata K. Gas chromatography-mass spectrometry analysis of bioactive constituents from the marine Streptomyces. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2015;8(2):244-6.
12. Shekshavali T, Hugar S. Antimicrobial activity of Thespesia populnea Soland. Ex Correa bark extracts. Indian J Nat Prod Resour 2012;3(1):128-30.
13. Rao KP. Phytochemical screening and antioxidant potential of Thespesia populnea (L.) Seed extract. Der Pharm Lett 2016;8(12):200-7.
14. Nandhini SU, Selvam MM. Bioactive compounds produced by Streptomyces strain. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2013;4 Suppl 1:176-8.
15. Krishnamoorthy S, Raj GA, Chandrasekaran M. Antibacterial and antifungal activity of leaves of Thespesia populnea. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2014;6(8):404-11.
16. Siju EN, Shirwaikar A, Devi S. Antimicrobial activity of fruit extracts of Thespesia populnea. Adv Pharmacol Toxicol 2011;12(3):79-82.
17. Nishaa S, Vishnupriya M, Sasikumar JM, Gopalakrishnan VK. Phytochemical screening and GC-MS analysis of ethanolic extract of rhizomes of Maranta arundinacea L. Res J Pharm Biol Chem Sci 2013;4(2):52-9.
18. Sivakumar R, Jebanesan A, Govindarajan M, Rajasekar P. Larvicidal and repellent activity of tetradecanoic acid against Aedes aegypti (Linn.) And Culex quinquefasciatus (Say.) (Diptera: Culicidae). Asian Pac J Trop Med 2011;4(9):706-10.
19. Gritto MJ, Nandagopalan V, Doss A. GC-MS analysis of bioactive compounds in methanolic extract of Thespesia populnea (L.) Sol. Ex Correa. World J Pharm Pharm Sci 2015;4(12):498-504.
20. Aparna V, Dileep KV, Mandal PK, Karthe P, Sadasivan C, Haridas M. Anti-inflammatory property of n-hexadecanoic acid: Structural evidence and kinetic assessment. Chem Biol Drug Des 2012;80(3):434-9.
21. Kumar PP, Kumaravel S, Lalitha C. Screening of antioxidant activity, total phenolics and GC-MS study of Vitex negundo. Afr J Biochem Res 2010;4:191-5.
22. Rahuman AA, Gopalakrishnan G, Ghouse BS, Arumugam S, Himalayan B. Effect of Feronia limonia on mosquito larvae. Fitoterapia 2000;71(5):553-5.
23. Rajamurugan R, Shilpa GR, Kumaravel S, Paranthaman R. GC-MS analysis, antioxidant and antibacterial activities of Thespesia populnea Linn. Leaf - In vitro study. BioMedRx 2013;1(3):248-53.
24. Awa EP, Ibrahim S, Ameh DA. GC/MS analysis and antimicrobial activity of diethyl ether fraction of methanolic extract from the stem bark of Annona senegalensis Pers. Int J Pharm Sci Res 2012;3(11):4213-8.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.