EFFECT OF AMYGDALUS EBURNEA ON THIRD-DEGREE BURNS IN RATS AND COMPARISON WITH SILVER SULFADIAZINE OINTMENT
Objective: Amygdalus eburnea is a perennial herb that has been valued for its important biological perspectives and it has been used to treat the burn.
This study aims to evaluate wound healing activity of A. eburnea extract compared with silver sulfadiazine (a synthetic burn ointment) for treating
the induced third-degree burn in rat.
Methods: In this study, a deep, third-degree burn wound was induced by a hot plate warmed 5 minutes within boiling water and placed for 3 seconds
on the skin. The shell root of A. eburnea an Iranian medicinal herb is investigated on its wound healing activity in comparison with silver sulfadiazine
ointment as the standard treatment for burn wound in rats.
Results: Our results demonstrated that A. eburnea can be an effective treatment for third-degree burns. Advanced clinical and pharmaceutical studies
are recommended to the production of novel natural drugs for burn wound treatment.
Conclusion: A. eburnea can be an effective treatment for third-degree burns. Advanced clinical and pharmaceutical studies are recommended to the
production of novel natural drugs for burn wound treatment.
2. Manca ML, Zaru M, Bacchetta G, Biggio T, Cappai N, Cabras A, et al. A new technological approach to improve the efficacy of a traditional herbal medicinal product in wound healing. Ind Crops Prod 2015;63:71-8.
3. Bahramsoltani R, Farzaei MH, Rahimi R. Medicinal plants and their natural components as future drugs for the treatment of burn wounds: An integrative review. Arch Dermatol Res 2014;306(7):601-17.
4. Mohajeri G, Masoudpour H, Heidarpour M, Khademi EF, Ghafghazi S,Adibi S, et al. The effect of dressing with fresh kiwifruit on burn wound healing. Surgery 2010;148(5):963-8.
5. Akhoondinasab MR, Khodarahmi A, Akhoondinasab M, Saberi M, Iranpour M. Assessing effect of three herbal medicines in second and
third degree burns in rats and comparison with silver sulfadiazine ointment. Burns 2015;41(1):125-31.
6. Fahimi SH, Hajimehdipoor H, Abdollahi M, Mortazavi SA. Burn healing plants in Iranian traditional medicine. Res J Pharmacogn
7. Srivastava P, Durgaprasad S. Burn wound healing property of Cocos nucifera: An appraisal. Indian J Pharmacol 2008;40(4):144-6.
8. Khan F, Shah A, Janan A. BURN PATIENTS; Causes of death and factors affecting mortality a 4 years study at a tertiary care hospital.
Prof Med J 2013;20(6):1042-7.
9. Ouyang J, Chen YC, Luo GX, Yan H, Peng YZ, Huang YS, et al.A randomized and controlled multicenter prospective study of the
Chinese medicinal compound Fufang xuelian burn ointment for thetreatment of superficial and deep second-degree burn wounds. Cell
Biochem Biophys 2014;69(3):467-74.
10. Priya KS, Gnanamani A, Radhakrishnan N, Babu M. Healing potential of Datura alba on burn wounds in albino rats. J Ethnopharmacol
11. Annan K, Houghton PJ. Antibacterial, antioxidant and fibroblast growth stimulation of aqueous extracts of Ficus asperifolia Miq.
and Gossypium arboreum L. wound-healing plants of Ghana. J Ethnopharmacol 2008;119(1):141-4.
12. Houghton PJ, Hylands PJ, Mensah AY, Hensel A, Deters AM. In vitro tests and ethnopharmacological investigations: Wound healing as an example. J Ethnopharmacol 2005;100(1-2):100-7.
13. Mantle D, Gok MA, Lennard TW. Adverse and beneficial effects of plant extracts on skin and skin disorders. Adverse Drug React Toxicol
14. Uday P, Achar RR, Bhat RP, Rinimol VR, Bindu J, Nafeesa Z, et al.Laticiferous plant proteases in wound care. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci
15. Upadhyay NK, Kumar R, Siddiqui MS, Gupta A. Mechanism of wound-healing activity of Hippophae rhamnoides L. Leaf extract
in experimental burns. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med 2011;2011:659705.
16. Mahmoudvand H, Sharififar F, Rahmat MS, Tavakoli R, Dezaki ES, Jahanbakhsh S, et al. Evaluation of antileishmanial activity and
cytotoxicity of the extracts of Berberis vulgaris and Nigella sativa against Leishmania tropica. J Vector Borne Dis 2014;51(4):294-9.
17. Jain N, Argal A. Wound healing potential of young leaves of Triticum aestivum on alloxan induced diabetic rats. Jain Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2014;5(8):508-13.
18. Eloff JN. Which extractant should be used for the screening and isolation of antimicrobial components from plants? J Ethnopharmacol
19. Madani B, Rahemi M, Baninasab B, Mahmoodi M. Morphological evaluation of three native species of Amygdalus in iran. Hortic Environ Biotechnol 2009;50(1):63-7.
20. Rezaeifar M, Behfarnezhad M, Moradi M, Mehrabani M, Mahmoudvand H. Antibacterial effects of various extracts of Amygdalus
eburnea on some most common bacteria in burning. Der Pharm Lett 2016b;8(6):110-2.
21. Rezaeifar M, Mahmoudvand H, Amiria M. Formulation and evaluation of diphenhydramine gel using different gelling agents. Der Pharm Chem 2016e;8(5):243-9.
22. Rezaeifar M, Rezaeifar M. Antioxidant properties of the methanolic extract of the shell root of Amygdalus eburnean. Int J Pharmtech Res 2016d;9(9):514-8.
23. Rezaeifar M, Rezaeifar M. In vitro antidermatophytic effects of the methanolic extract of the Amygdalus eburnean. Int J Pharmtech Res
24. Rezaeifar R, Mousavi SA, Mehrabani M, Sepahvand A. Evaluation of the antifungal effects of various extracts of Amygdalus eburnean on some fungal pathogens. Der Pharm Chem 2016a;8(6):140-2.
25. Mahmoudvand H, Nadri S, Jahanbakhsh S, Rezaeifar M. Evaluations of protoscolicidal activity of Cardamom extract against hydatid cyst protoscoleces. Der Pharm Chem 2016;8(6):91-5.
26. Mahmoudvand H, Nadri S, Rezaeifar M, Rezaeifar M. Scolicidal effects of myrtle methanolic extract on hydatid cyst protoscoleces. Der
Pharm Lett 2016;7(8):27-30.
27. Tavakoli Kareshk A, Keyhani A, Mahmoudvand H, Tavakoli Oliaei R, Asadi A, Andishmand M, et al. Efficacy of the Bunium persicum
(Boiss) essential oil against acute toxoplasmosis in mice model. Iran J Parasitol 2015;10:625-31. 28. Muhammad HS, Muhammad S. The use of Lawsonia inermis Linn. (Henna) in the management of burn wound infections. Afr J Biotechnol 2005;4(9):934-7.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.