EVALUATION OF IN VITRO INHIBITION OF PROTONô€‡§PUMP BY NANOSILVER PARTICLES SYNTHESIZED USING SEEDS OF ANETHUM GRAVEOLENS
Objective: The green synthesis of nanoparticles is gaining popularity owing to its several advantages over the chemical methods. This study reports the biosynthesis of nanosilver mediated by the extract of the seeds of Anethum graveolens.
Methods: Green synthesis of silver nanoparticles (AgNPs) was carried out using the aqueous extract of the seeds of A. graveolens (AESE). Microwave irradiation was done to hasten the process. The AgNPs synthesized were physically characterized using ultraviolet-visible spectroscopy, X-ray diffraction, Fourier transform infrared spectroscopy and scanning electron microscopy. The potential of the nanosilver particles in inhibiting H+ K+ adenosine triphosphatase (proton pump) was evaluated.
Results: The nanosilver particles were initially subjected to characterization studies to ascertain their shape, size and surface composition. The particles were found to be crystalline, spherical of size 30-35 nm. The nanosilver particles inhibited the activity of proton pump by 67 % and thus were as potential as the standard drug, omeprazole.
Conclusion: The seeds have several pharmacological benefits including its gastroprotective potential and hence the nanosilver particles synthesized using AESE was assessed for its gastroprotective potential. The results of this study prove that the nanosilver synthesized by green technology can inhibit proton-pump and thus act as promising gastroprotective agents.
2. Dubey MS, Kushwah BS. Green synthesis of nanosilver particles from extract of Eucalyptus hybrida (safeda) leaf. Dig J Nanomater Biostruct 2009;4:537-43.
3. Tolaymat TM, El Badawy AM, Genaidy A, Scheckel KG, Luxton TP, Suidan M. An evidence-based environmental perspective of manufactured silver nanoparticle in syntheses and applications: A systematic review and critical appraisal of peer-reviewed scientific papers. Sci Total Environ 2010;408:999-1006.
4. Sangeetha R, Niranjan P, Dhanalakshmi N. Characterization of silver nanoparticles synthesized using the extract of the leaves of Tridax procumbens. Res J Med Plant 2016;10:159-66.
5. Jana A, Shekhawat GS. Anethum graveolens: An Indian traditional medicinal herb and spice. Pharmacogn Rev 2010;4:179-84.
6. Fiske CH, Subbarow Y. The colorimetric determination of phosphorous. J Biol Chem 1925;66:375-400.
7. Srikar SK, Giri DD, Pal DB, Mishra PK, Upadhyay SN. Green synthesis of silver nanoparticles: A review. Green Sustain Chem 2016;6:34-56.
8. Sadeghi B, Gholamhoseinpoor F. A study on the stability and green synthesis of silver nanoparticles using Ziziphora tenuior (Zt) extract at room temperature. Spectrochim Acta A Mol Biomol Spectrosc 2015;134:310-5.
9. Kalainila P, Subha V, Ravindran RS, Renganathan S. Synthesis and characterization of silver nanoparticle from Erythrina indica. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2014;7:39-43.
10. Sosa IO, Noguez C, Barrera RG. Optical properties of metal nanoparticles with arbitrary shapes. J Phys Chem 2003;13:62-9.
11. Ahmed A, Saifullah, Ahmad M, Swami BL, Ikram S. Green synthesis of silver nanoparticles using Azadirachta indica aqueous leaf extract. J Rad Res Appl Sci 2016;9:1-7.
12. Chellappan DR, Pemiah B. Pharmacognostical, phytochemical and in vivo gastroprotective investigation of Gmelina arborea. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2014;6(4):153-7.
13. Ali EA. The pharmacological importance of Anethum graveolens: A review. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2014;6(4):11-3.
14. Sironmani TA. Therapeutic potential of neem synthesized silver nanoparticles on human gastric cancer cells in vitro. World J Nano Sci Eng 2016;6:90-110.
15. Amin M, Anwar F, Janjua MR, Iqbal MA, Rashid U. Green synthesis of silver nanoparticles through reduction with Solanum xanthocarpum L. berry extract: Characterization, antimicrobial and urease inhibitory activities against Helicobacter pylori. Int J Mol Sci 2012;13(8):9923-41.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.