Method development and Validation of RP-HPLC method for the Determination of Olanzapine in Bulk and Tablet Dosage form
Objective: To develop and validate reverse phase-high performance liquid chromatographic method for estimation of olanzapine in bulk and tablet dosage form.
Methods: Chromatographic analysis was performed on XTerra C18 (150Ã—3.5 mm inner diameter, 5 Î¼m) column using a mobile phase consisting of buffer (potassium dihydrogen phosphate) and methanol (45:55% v/v) with a flow rate of 0.6 ml/minutes. The detection was carried out at 247 nm.
Results: The calibration curve of olanzapine was linear in the range of 30-70 Î¼g/ml. The mean % assay of marketed formulation was found to be 100.2%, and % recovery was observed in the range of 98-102%. Relative standard deviation for the precision study was found <2%.
Conclusion: The developed method is simple, precise and rapid, making it suitable for estimation of olanzapine in bulk and tablet dosage form.
2. Firdous S, Aman T, Nisa A. U. Determinationof Olanzapine by UV Spectrophotometry and Non-aqueous Titration, Chemical society ofPakistan, 2005, 27(2), 163 - 67.
3. Siva Prasad K.V, Rajendra Kumar J. M, ReddyM.V.V.N, Prabhakar G and Sankar D.G. Spectrophotometric Determination ofOlanzapine in Pharmaceutical Preparations,Asian J. Chem., 2003, 15, 1127 - 30.
4. Gowri Sankar D, Rajendra Kumar J.M and LathaP.V.M. Spectrophotometric Estimation of Sisomicin and Olanzapine, Asian J. Chem.,2005, 17, 1331- 33.
5. Zhou Z, Li X, Lin K, Xie Z, Cheng Z, Peng W,Wang F, Zhu R and Li H. Simultaneous determination of clozapine, olanzapine,risperidone and quetiapine in plasma by highperformanceliquid chromatographyâ€“electrospray ionization mass spectrometry. J.Chromatogr., B, 2004, 802(2), 257- 62.
6. Bogusz M.J, Kruger K.D, Maier R.D, Erkwoh Rand Tuchtenhagen F. Monitoring of olanzapine in serum by liquid chromatographyâ€“atmosphericpressure chemical ionization mass spectrometry,J. Chromatogr., B, 1999, 732(2), 257 - 69.
7 Prameela Rani.A, Bala Sekaran.Development of HPLC method for the determination of olanzapine in bulk and dosage forms, J. PharmTech Res.2009,1(3)
8. Raggi M.A, Casamenti G, Mandrioli R, Izzo Gand Kenndler E. Quantitation of olanzapine in tablets by HPLC, CZE, derivative spectrometryand linear voltammetry, J. Pharm. Biomed.Anal., 2000, 23(6), 973 - 81.
9. Elian A. A. Fatal overdose of olanzepine,Forensic Sci. Inter., 1998, 91(3), 231 - 35.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.