ASSOCIATION BETWEEN RHEUMATOID ARTHRITIS AND HEALTH-RELATED QUALITY OF LIFE IN KOREAN WOMEN AGED 50 YEARS AND OVER
Objective: The purpose of this study is to evaluate the association between rheumatoid arthritis (RA) and health-related quality of life (HRQoL) in Korean women.
Methods: Participants (n=2068) aged 50 years or older were selected from Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (KNHANES) 2005-2008. Sociodemographic characteristics, medical history of RA, and EuroQol-5 dimension were obtained from the KNHANES dataset.
Results: The results revealed that demographic variables, including age, education level, income, exercise, smoking, and alcohol drinking, were important factors associated with HRQoL. In this study, RA was an important factor affecting HRQoL in Korean women. The adjusted odds ratio for HRQoL in participants with RA was 2.15 (95% confidence interval [CI]: 1.46-3.18, p=0.001) in mobility, 2.30 (95% CI: 1.60-3.32, p<0.001) in usual activities, and 3.41 (95% CI: 2.20-5.28, p<0.001) in pain/discomfort.
Conclusion: These findings suggest that there is a strong associationbetween RA and HRQoL and preventing and controlling RA may significantly improve the quality of life for elderly Korean women.
2. Ndetan H, Evans MW Jr, Felini M, Bae S, Rupert R, Singh KP. Chiropractic and medical use of health promotion in the management of arthritis: analysis of the 2006 National Health Interview Survey. J Manipulative Physiol Ther 2010;33(6):419-24.
3. Tierney M, Fraser A, Kennedy N. Physical activity in rheumatoid arthritis: a systematic review. J Phys Act Health 2012;9(7):1036-48.
4. Hur NW, Choi CB, Uhm WS, Bae SC. The prevalence and trend of arthritis in Korea: results from Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Surveys. J Korean Rheum Assoc 2008;15(1):11-26.
5. Myasoedova E, Crowson CS, Kremers HM, Therneau TM, Gabriel SE. Is the incidence of rheumatoid arthritis rising?: results from Olmsted County, Minnesota, 1955-2007. Arthritis Rheum 2010;62(6):1576-82.
6. Uhlig T, Loge JH, Kristiansen IS, Kvien TK. Quantification of reduced health-related quality of life in patients with rheumatoid arthritis compared to the general population. J Rheumatol 2007;34(6):1241-7.
7. Cella DF, Tulsky DS. Measuring quality of life today: methodological aspects. Oncology 1990;4(5):29-38.
8. Kwan YH, Koh ET, Leong KP, Wee HL; Tan Tock Seng Rheumatoid Arthritis Study Group. Association between helplessness, disability, and disease activity with health-related quality of life among rheumatoid arthritis patients in a multiethnic Asian population. Rheumatol Int 2014;34(8):1085-93.
9. Hodkinson B, Musenge E, Ally M, Meyer PW, Anderson R, Tikly M. Functional disability and health-related quality of life in South Africans with early rheumatoid arthritis. Scand J Rheumatol 2012;41(5):366-74.
10. Faller H, StÃ¶rk S, Schuler M, Schowalter M, SteinbÃ¼chel T, Ertl G, et al. Depression and disease severity as predictors of health-related quality of life in patients with chronic heart failure--a structural equation modeling approach. J Card Fail 2009;15(4):286-92.
11. Afendy A, Kallman JB, Stepanova M, Younoszai Z, Aquino RD, Bianchi G, et al. Predictors of health-related quality of life in patients with chronic liver disease. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 2009;30(5):469-76.
12. Volz A, Schmid JP, Zwahlen M, Kohls S, Saner H, Barth J. Predictors of readmission and health related quality of life in patients with chronic heart failure: a comparison of different psychosocial aspects. J Behav Med 2011;34(1):13-22.
13. Jakobsson U, Hallberg IR. Pain and quality of life among older people with rheumatoid arthritis and/or osteoarthritis: a literature review. J Clin Nurs 2002;11(4):430-43.
14. Muraki S, Akune T, Oka H, En-yo Y, Yoshida M, Saika A, et al. Association of radiographic and symptomatic knee osteoarthritis with health-related quality of life in a population-based cohort study in Japan: the ROAD study. Osteoarthritis Cartilage 2010;18(9):1227-34.
15. SÃ¸ltoft F, Hammer M, Kragh N. The association of body mass index and health-related quality of life in the general population: data from the 2003 Health Survey of England. Qual Life Res 2009;18(10):1293-9.
16. Jiang Y, Hesser JE. Associations between health-related quality of life and demographics and health risks. Results from Rhode Island's 2002 behavioral risk factor survey. Health Qual Life Outcomes 2006;4:14.
17. Dritsaki M, Petrou S, Williams M, Lamb SE. An empirical evaluation of the SF-12, SF-6D, EQ-5D and Michigan Hand Outcome Questionnaire in patients with rheumatoid arthritis of the hand. Health Qual Life Outcomes 2017;15(1):20.
18. Parkinson L, Gibson R, Robinson I, Byles J. Older women and arthritis: tracking impact over time. Australas J Ageing 2010;29(4):155-60.
19. Neogi T, Zhang Y. Osteoarthritis prevention. Curr Opin Rheumatol 2011;23(2):185-91.
20. Borzecki AM, Lee A, Kalman D, Kazis LE. Do poor health behaviors affect health-related quality of life and healthcare utilization among veterans? The Veterans Health Study. J Ambul Care Manage 2005;28(2):141-56.
21. Kaplan MS, Huguet N, Feeny D, McFarland BH, Caetano R, Bernier J, et al. Alcohol use patterns and trajectories of health-related quality of life in middle-aged and older adults: a 14-year population-based study. J Stud Alcohol Drugs 2012;73(4):581-90.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.