THE SALIVARY BONE SPESIFIC ALKALINE PHOSPHATASE IN RELATION TO PUBERTAL GROWTH PHASE IN INDONESIAN CHILDREN
Objective: To evaluate the level of salivary Bone specific Alkaline Phosphatase (BALP) during the pubertal growth phases in Indonesian Children.
Materials and Methods: The study conducted on 64 boys and 72 girls who were age group of 8 â€“ 18 years old were randomly selected. Salivary BALP level was estimated using Enzyme-Linked Immunosorbent Assay (ELISA) commercial kits and pubertal growth phase were assessed using Cervical Vertebral Maturation (CVM) method according to Baccetti. Mean salivary BALP were compared based on pubertal growth groups by Analysis of Variance (ANOVA) test.
Results: Test revealed no significant differences between groups with p value 0.312. The highest mean of salivary BALP level was found in the pre peak pubertal growth phase (CVM stage 1-2) and the lowest one was detected in the post peak pubertal growth phase (CVM stage 5-6).
Conclusion: The using of salivary BALP as a biomarker for pubertal growth prediction is questionable.
2. Perinetti G, Franchi L, Castaldo A, Contardo L. Gingival Crevicular Fluid Protein Content and Alkaline Phosphatase Activity in Relation to Pubertal Growth Phase. Angle Orthod 2012;82(0):1047â€“52.
3. Franchi L, Baccetti T, McNamara JA. Mandibular Growth as Related to Cervical Vertebral Maturation and Body Height. Am J Orthod Dentofac Orthop 2000;118(3):335â€“40.
4. Baccetti T, Franchi L, McNamara JA. An Improved Version of the Cervical Vertebral Maturation (CVM) Method for the Assessment of Mandibular Growth. Angle Orthod 2002;72(4):316â€“23.
5. Baccetti T, Franchi L, McNamara JA. The Cervical Vertebral Maturation (CVM) Method for The Assessment of Optimal Treatment Timing in Dentofacial Orthopedics. Semin Orthod 2005;11(3):119â€“29.
6. Flores-Mir C, Nebbe B, Major PW. Use of Skeletal Maturation Based on Hand-wrist Radiographic Analysis as a Predictor of Facial Growth: A Systematic Review. Angle Orthod 2004;74(1):118â€“24.
7. Masoud M, Masoud I, Kent RL, Gowharji N, Cohen LE. Assessing Skeletal Maturity by Using Blood Spot Insulin-like Growth Factor I (IGF-I) Testing. Am J Orthod Dentofac Orthop 2008;134(2):209â€“16.
8. Perinetti G, Contardo L. Gingival Crevicular Fluid Alkaline Phosphatase Activity in Relation to Pubertal Growth Spurt and Dental Maturation: A Multiple Regression Study. South Eur J Orthod Dentofac Res 2016;3(1):6â€“11.
9. Tobiume H, Kanzaki S, Hida S, Ono T, Moriwake T, Yamauchi S, et al. Serum Bone Alkaline Phosphatase Isoenzyme Levels in Normal Children and Children with Growth Hormone (GH) Deficiency: A Potential Marker for Bone Formation and Response to GH Therapy. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 1997;82(7):2056â€“61. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9215272
10. Mora S, Pitukcheewanont P. Biochemical Markers of Bone Turnover and The Volume and The Density of Bone in Children at Different Stages of Sexual Development. J bone Miner Res 1999;14(10):1664â€“71. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1359/jbmr.19126.96.36.1994/full
11. Tsai KS, Jang MH, Hsu SHJ, Cheng WC, Chang MH. Bone Alkaline Phosphatase Isoenzyme and Carboxy-terminal Propeptide of Type-I Procollagen in Healthy Chinese Girls and Boys. Clin Chem 1999;45(1):136â€“8.
12. Pellegrini GG, Gonzales Chaves MMS, Fajardo MA, Ponce GM, Toyos GI, Lifshitz F, et al. Salivary Bone Turnover Markers in Healthy Pre- and Postmenopausal Women: Daily and Seasonal Rhythm. Clin Oral Investig 2012;16(2):651â€“7.
13. Pellegrini GG, Gonzales CM, Somoza JC, Friedman SM, Zeni SN. Correlation Between Salivary and Serum Markers of Bone Turnover in Osteopenic Rats. J Periodontol 2008;79(1):158â€“65. http://www.joponline.org/doi/abs/10.1902/jop.2008.070168
14. FlÃ³rez-Moreno, Gloria A.MarÃn-Restrepo, Lina M.Isaza-GuzmÃ¡n, Diana M.TobÃ³n-Arroyave SI. Screening for Salivary Levels of Deoxypyridinoline and Bone-specific Alkaline Phosphatase during Orthodontic Tooth Movement: A Pilot Study. Eur J Orthod 2013;35(3).
15. Mittal S, Bansal V, Garg S, Atreja G, Bansal S. The Diagnostic Role of Saliva - A Review. J Clin Exp Dent 2011;3(4):e314â€“20.
16. Oliveira VN de, Bessa A, Lamounier RPMS, Santana MG de, Mello MT de, Espindola FS. Changes in the Salivary Biomarkers Induced by an Effort Test. Int J Sports Med 2010;18;31(6):377â€“81. http://www.thieme-connect.de/DOI/DOI?10.1055/s-0030-1248332
17. Sivakumar T, Hand AR, Mednieks M. Secretory Proteins in The Saliva of Children. J Oral Sci 2009;51(4):573â€“80.
18. Shi D, Meng H, Xu L, Zhang L, Chen Z, Feng X, et al. Systemic Inflammation Markers in Patients With Aggressive Periodontitis: A Pilot Study. J Periodontol 2008;79(12):2340â€“6. http://www.joponline.org/doi/10.1902/jop.2008.080192
19. Lee J-Y, Chung J-W, Kim Y-K, Chung S-C, Kho H-S. Comparison of the Composition of Oral Mucosal Residual Saliva with Whole Saliva. Oral Dis 2007;13(6):550â€“4. http://doi.wiley.com/10.1111/j.1601-0825.2006.01332.x
20. Soegiharto BM, Cunningham SJ, Moles DR. Skeletal maturation in Indonesian and White Children Assessed with Hand-wrist and Cervical Vertebrae Methods. Am J Orthod Dentofac Orthop 2008;134(2):217â€“26.
21. Tarvade SM, Sheetal D, Sarode S. Salivary Alkaline Phosphatase- A Biochemical Marker for Growth Prediction. Indian J Basic Apllied Med Res 2015;4(3):17â€“22.
22. Koka S, Forde MD, Khosla S. Systemic Assessments Utilizing Saliva: part 2 Osteoporosis and Use of Saliva to Measure Bone Turnover. Int J Prosthodont 2006;19(1):53â€“60.
23. Nakashima K, Roehrich N, Cimasoni G. Osteocalcin, Prostaglandin E2 and Alkaline Phosphatase in Gingival Crevicular Fluid: Their Relations to Periodontal Status. J Clin Periodontol 1994;21(5):327â€“33. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8034777
24. Pfaffe T, Cooper-White J, Beyerlein P, Kostner K, Punyadeera C. Diagnostic Potential of Saliva: Current State and Future Applications. Clin Chem 2011;57(5):675â€“87. http://www.clinchem.org/content/57/5/675.full
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.