GC-MS ANALYSIS OF PHYTOCHEMICAL COMPOUNDS PRESENT IN THE RHIZOMES OF Nervilia aragoana GAUD
Medicinal plants have had a crucial role in human culture and civilization. The rhizomes of the plant Nervilia aragoana were collected, washed, shade dried and powdered. Ethanol extract ether extract and methanol extract (from the marc of ether extract) were prepared by simple maceration process and soxhalation method. All the extracts were concentrated and analyzed using Gas Chromatography Mass Spectroscopy for the identification of biochemical components present in the rhizome of N. aragoana. A wide range of fatty acids, heterocyclic compound which are having anti fungal anti inflammatory antibiotic activity, skin conditioning property were identified so that it can be recommended as a plant of phytopharmaceutical importance.
2. Aneesh TP, Mohamed Hisham, Sonal Sekhar M, Manjusree Madhu Deepa TV. International Market Scenario of Traditional Indian Herbal Drugs. Int. J. Green Pharm. 2009; 3 suppl 3: 184-190.
3. Kirtikar KR, Basu BD. Indian Medicinal Plants. Indian Press. 1918. p. 34-44.
4. Ronald Hites A. Gas Chromatography Mass Spectroscopy: Handbook of Instrumental Techniques for Analytical Chemistry, 1997. p. 609-611.
5. Ayurvedic medicinal plants http://ayurvedicmedicinalplants.com/index.php?option =com_zoom&Itemid=26&page=view&catid=14&key=2
6. Prof. Summer's Web Garden http://www7a.biglobe.ne.jp/~flower_world/ Orchids/Nervilia%20aragoana.htm
7. Rajendra Yonzone, Lama D, Bhujel RB, Samuel Rai. Orchid species diversity of Darjeeling Himalaya of India. Int. J. of Pharm. & Life Scie 2012; 3 suppl 3: 1533-1550.
8. Envis centre on medicinal plants. Available from url http://envis.frlht.org/
9. Bhogaonkar PY, and Devankar VD. 2006. Pharmacognostic Studies on Padmacarini. Aryavaidyan 2006; 20 suppl 2: 74-79.
10. NeMedPlant A Database of medicinal plants from northeast india, available from url http://bif.uohyd. ac.in /nemedplant/search/RightsearchResult.php?g=Nagaland.
11. Beena C, Radhakrishnan VV. Bioprospecting on the endangered medicinal plant nervilia aragoana gaud. Journal of Progressive Agriculture 2011; 2 suppl 1: 75-78.
12. Kamble S Y, Patil SR, Sawant PS, Sangita Sawant, Pawar SG, Singh EA. Studies on Plants used in traditional medicine by Bhilla tribe of Maharashtra, Indian J of Traditional Knowledge. 2010; 9 suppl 3: 591-598.
13. Arjun Prasad Tiwari, Bhavana Joshi, Ansari AA. Less Known Ethnomedicinal Uses of Some Orchids by the Tribal inhabitants of Amarkantak Plateau Madhya Pradesh, India. Nature and Science. 2012; 10 suppl 12: 33-37.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.