IN VITRO EVALUATION OF ANTICANCER POTENTIAL OF ERYTHRINA VARIEGATA L. ON BREAST CANCER CELL LINES
Objective: Species of Erythrina variegata L. is reported to be used in the treatment of cancer in traditional/folklore medicine which could be explored for their anticancer potential. We aimed to evaluate the anticancer activity of crude extracts of the leaves of E. variegata with two solvents; explore the mechanism of cytotoxicity with the effective extract and correlation with the phytochemicals in the extract.
Methods: The extracts with Erythrina variegata L methanol (EVM) and chloroform (EVC) as solvents were screened for cytotoxicity by 3-(4,5-dimethylthiazol-2-yl)-2,5-diphenyltetrazolium assay on MDA-MB-231 and MCF-7 cell lines. The effective extract was further evaluated on MDA-MB-231 cells by nucleoprotein content estimation, and cell morphology was studied. High resolution liquid chromatography mass spectrometry (HRLCMS) of EVM was done to find the phytochemical composition.
Results: Among the two extracts, EVM was effective at an inhibitory concentration (IC50) value of 92 Î¼g/ml and 143 Î¼g/ml on MCF-7 and MDA-MB-231 cells, respectively. At the IC50 value (143 Î¼g/ml) the nucleoprotein content of the cells was 58.2%, and the apoptotic index was calculated to be 51.8%. EVM treated group showed significant morphological changes suggestive of apoptosis. HRLCMS revealed the presence of rutin, podocarpatriene, and cepharanthine which are known to be cytotoxic.
Conclusion: This report is a contribution toward the validation of E. variegata as a potential source of anticancer agents.
2. Bray F, MÃ¸ller B. Predicting the future burden of cancer. Nat Rev Cancer 2006;6(1):63-74.
3. Sen U, Sankaranarayanan R, Mandal S, Ramanakumar AV, Parkin DM, Siddiqi M. Cancer patterns in eastern India: The first report of the Kolkata cancer registry. Int J Cancer 2002;100(1):86-91.
4. Hedenfalk IA, RingnÃ©r M, Trent JM, Borg A. Gene expression in inherited breast cancer. Adv Cancer Res 2002;84:1-34.
5. Ingrasson S. Breast cancer: Introduction. Semin Cancer Biol 2001;11:323-6.
6. Dobashi Y, Takehana T, Ooi A. Perspectives on cancer therapy: Cell cycle blockers and perturbators. Curr Med Chem 2003;10(23):2549-58.
7. Fan S, Cherney B, Reinhold W, Rucker K, Oâ€™Connor PM. Disruption of p53 function in immortalized human cells does not affect survival or apoptosis after taxol or vincristine treatment. Clin Cancer Res 1998;4(4):1047-54.
8. Garrett MD. Cell cycle control and cancer. Curr Sci 2001;81:515-22.
9. Merlin NJ, Parthasarthy V, Santhoshkumar TR. Induction of apoptosis in human breast cancer cell line MCF-7 by phytochemicals from Gmelina asiatica. Afr J Biotechnol 2010;9:4451-6.
10. Sandal T. Molecular aspects of the mammalian cell cycle and cancer. Oncologist 2002;7(1):73-81.
11. Tachibana KE, Gonzalez MA, Coleman N. Cell-cycle-dependent regulation of DNA replication and its relevance to cancer pathology. J Pathol 2005;205:123-9.
12. Jahan R, Hossain S, Seraj S, Nasrin D, Khatun Z, Ranidas P, et al. Centella asiatica (L.) Urb.: Ethnomedicinal uses and their scientific validations. Am Eur J Sustain Agric 2012;6:261-70.
13. Amri E. The role of selected plant families with dietary ethnomedical species used as anticancer. J Med Plants Stud 2014;2:28-39.
14. Nkengfack AE, Azebaze AG, Waffo AK, Fomum ZT, Meyer M, van Heerden FR. Cytotoxic isoflavones from Erythrina indica. Phytochemistry 2001;58(7):1113-20.
15. Baskar N, Parimaladevi B, Mohankumar R. Evaluation of anticancer activity of methanol extract of root bark of Erythrina variegata Linn. J Pharm Res 2010;3:1724-5.
16. Hartwell JL. Plants used against cancer. A survey. Lloydia 1970;33(4):288-392.
17. Rahman MZ, Sultana SJ, Faruquee CF, Ferdous F, Rahman MS, Islam MS, et al. Phytochemical and biological investigations of Erythrina variegata. Saudi Pharm J 2007;15:140-5.
18. Suryawanshi HP, Patel MR. Traditional uses, medicinal and phytopharmacological properties of E. Indica Lam: An overview. Int J Res Ayurveda Pharm 2011;2:1531-3.
19. Mosmann T. Rapid colorimetric assay for cellular growth and survival: Application to proliferation and cytotoxicity assays. J Immunol Methods 1983;65(1-2):55-63.
20. Denizot F, Lang R. Rapid colorimetric assay for cell growth and survival. Modifications to the tetrazolium dye procedure giving improved sensitivity and reliability. J Immunol Methods 1986;89(2):271-7.
21. Gillies RJ, Didier N, Denton M. Determination of cell number in monolayer cultures. Anal Biochem 1986;159(1):109-13.
22. Vidhya N, Devaraj SN. Induction of apoptosis by eugenol in human breast cancer cells. Indian J Exp Biol 2011;49(11):871-8.
23. Harborne JB. Phytochemical Methods. London: Chapman and Hall; 1973.
24. Dampier K, Hudson EA, Howells LM, Manson MM, Walker RA, Gescher A. Differences between human breast cell lines in susceptibility towards growth inhibition by genistein. Br J Cancer 2001;85(4):618-24.
25. Herlina T, Nurlelasari DK, Supratman U, Zalinar U. In vitro anti-cancer and antimalarial erystagallin a from Erythrina variegata (Leguminoseae) stem bark. Int J Phytomed Relat Ind 2001;1:9-13.
26. Elgadir AM, Salama M, Adam A. Anti-breast cancer from various natural sources-review. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2015;7:44-7.
27. Morse DL, Gray H, Payne CM, Gillies RJ. Docetaxel induces cell death through mitotic catastrophe in human breast cancer cells. Mol Cancer Ther 2005;4(10):1495-504.
28. Lowe SW, Lin AW. Apoptosis in cancer. Carcinogenesis 2000;21(8):485-95.
29. Heber D. Vegetables, fruits and phytoestrogens in the prevention of diseases. J Postgrad Med 2004;50(2):145-9.
30. Taraphdar AK, Roy M, Bhattacharya RK. Natural products as inducers of apoptosis: Implication for cancer therapy and prevention. Curr Sci 2001;80:1387-96.
31. Haris M, Mahmood R, Rahman H, Rahman N. In vitro cytotoxic activity of Clerodendrum infortunatum L. Against T47D, PC-3, A549 and HCT-116 human cancer cell lines and its phytochemical screening. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2016;8:439-44.
32. Deschner EE, Ruperto J, Wong G, Newmark HL. Quercetin and rutin as inhibitors of azoxymethanol-induced colonic neoplasia. Carcinogenesis 1991;12(7):1193-6.
33. Ravindranath N, Ravinder Reddy M, Ramesh C, Ramu R, Prabhakar A, Jagadeesh B, et al. New lathyrane and podocarpane diterpenoids from Jatropha curcas. Chem Pharm Bull (Tokyo) 2004;52(5):608-11.
34. Furusawa S, Wu J, Fujimura T, Nakano S, Nemoto S, Takayanagi M, et al. Cepharanthine inhibits proliferation of cancer cells by inducing apoptosis. Methods Find Exp Clin Pharmacol 1998;20(2):87-97.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.