VARIOUS BIOLOGICAL ACTIVITIES OF COUMARIN AND OXADIAZOLE DERIVATIVES
In this review article data is collected regarding the various derivatives of coumarin and oxadiazole as both these have wide range of biological activities and they can be further modified to synthesize more effective and potent drugs. Coumarin class of organic compounds consists of 1,2-benzopyrone ring system as a basic parent scaffold. These benzopyrones are subdivided into alpha-benzopyrones and gamma benzopyrones; with coumarin class of compounds belonging to alpha-benzopyrones. Since the last few years, coumarins were synthesized in many of their derivative forms. Their pharmacological, therapeutic and biochemical properties depend upon their pattern of substitution. Coumarins exhibit a wide range of pharmacological activities, which includes anti-diabetic, anti-viral, anti-microbial, anticancer, anti-oxidant, anti-parasitic, anti-helminthic, anti-proliferative, anti-convulsant, anti-inflammatory and antihypertensive activities. 1,3,4-Oxadiazole is a heterocyclic compound containing an oxygen atom and two nitrogen atoms in a five-membered ring. It is derived from furan by substitution of two methylene groups (=CH) with two pyridine type nitrogens (-N=). There are three known isomers: 1,2,4-oxadiazole, 1,2,3-oxadiazole and 1,2,5- oxadiazole. Oxadiazole moiety shows antimicrobial, anticancer and anti-inflammatory activity and suitably substituted 1,3,4-oxadiazole having biological activities like antimicrobial, anticancer and other biological activities.
2. Cooper GM. Elements of Human Cancer. Boston; Jones and Bartlett Publishers; 199.
3. Chohan ZH, Supuran CT. Synthesis, docking study and anticancer activity of coumarin substituted derivatives of benzothiazole. J Comput Methods Mol Des 2012;2 (1):51-60.
4. Thasneem CK, Biju CR, Babu G. Synthesis and antimicrobial study of chalcone linked 1,3,4-oxadiazole derivatives. World J Pharm Pharm Sci 2014;4(1):643-55.
5. Shah RC. New Synthetical Methods in Coumarins Chemistry. Symposium; 1938. p. 26-7.
6. Sandhu S, Bansal Y, Silakari O, Bansal G. Coumarin hybrids as novel therapeutic agents. Bioorg Med Chem 2014;22(15):3806-14.
7. BostrÃ¶m J, Hogner A, LlinÃ s A, Wellner E, Plowright AT. Oxadiazoles in medicinal chemistry. J Med Chem 2012;55(5):1817-30.
8. Savarino A. A historical sketch of the discovery and development of HIV-1 integrase inhibitors. Expert Opin Investig Drugs 2006;15:1507-22.
9. Rajagopalan V, Corpuz EO, Hubenschmidt MJ, Townsend CR, Asai DJ, Wilkes DE. Analysis of properties of cilia using Tetrahymena thermophila. Methods Mol Biol 2009;586:283-99.
10. Chand M, Gupta A, Subhash C. Jain biological profile of coumarins (7-hydroxy-4-methyl-2hbenzopyran-2-ones). W H J Chem Soc 1868;21:53.
11. Krishna MH, Thriveni P. Synthesis of coumarins via Pechmann reaction using Cr(NO3)3. 9H2O as a catalyst under microwave irradiation. H Chem Ber 1884;17:929-6.
12. Pechmann H, Duisberg C. Synthesis of the fluorescent amino acid rac-(7-hydroxycoumarin-4-yl)ethylglycine. Berichte 1883;16:119.
13. Knoevenagel E. Berichte knoevenagel reaction in [MMIm][MSO4]: Synthesis of coumarins. Molecules 1898;31:2585-96.
14. Ferroud D, Collard J, Klich M, Dupuis-Hamelin C, Mauvais P, Lassaigne P, et al. Synthesis and biological evaluation of coumarincarboxylic acids as inhibitors of gyrase B. L-rhamnose as an effective substitute for L-noviose. Bioorg Med Chem Lett 1999;9(19):2881-6.
15. Aboraia AS, Abdel-Rahman HM, Mahfouz NM, El-Gendy MA. Novel 5-(2-hydroxyphenyl)-3-substituted-2,3-dihydro-1,3,4-oxadiazole-2-thione derivatives: Promising anticancer agents. Bioorg Med Chem 2006;1:1236-46.
16. Ramazani A, Ahmadi E, Kazemizadeh AR, Dolatyari L, Noshiranzadeh N, Eskandari I, et al. Phosphorus, sulphur. Silicon Relat Elem 2005;180:2419.
17. Aydogan F, Turgut Z, Ocal N. Synthesis and electronic structure of new aryl- and alkyl-substituted 1,3,4-oxadiazole-2-thione derivatives. Turk J Chem 2002;26:159-69.
18. Biju CR, Ilango K. Docking investigation, synthesis and cytotoxic studies of substituted oxadiazole derivatives. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2012;4(3):262-5. 19. Singh N, Sarkar J, Sashidhara K, Ali S, Sinha S. Anti-tumour activity of a novel coumarinâ€“chalcone hybrid is mediated through intrinsic apoptotic pathway by inducing PUMA and altering Bax/Bcl-2 rati. Apoptosis 2014;19:1017-23.
20. Saidu NE, Valente S, Bana E, Kirsch G, Bagrel D, Montenarh M. Coumarin polysulfides inhibit cell growth and induce apoptosis in HCT116 colon cancer cells. Bioorg Med Chem 2012;20:1584-94.
21. Vazquez R, Riveiro ME, Vermeulen M, Mondillo C, Coombes PH, Crouch NR, et al. Toddaculin, a natural coumarin from Toddalia asiatica, induces differentiation and apoptosis in U-937 leukemic cells. Phytomedicine 2012;19:737-43.
22. Pan R, Dai Y, Gao XH, Lu D, Xia YF. Inhibition of vascular endothelial growth factor-induced angiogenesis by scopoletin through interrupting the auto phosphorylation of p53 and its transcriptional target PUMA are up regulated receptor 2 and its downstream signaling pathways. Vasc Pharmacol 2011;54:18-26.
23. Kusuma BR, Khandelwal A, Gu W, Brown D, Liu W, Vielhauer G, et al. Synthesis and biological evaluation of coumarin replacements of novobiocin as HSP90 inhibitors. Bioorg Med Chem 2014;22:1441-51.
24. Amin KM, Abou-Seri SM. Synthesis and biological evaluation of novel coumarin derivatives as potential antimicrobials agents. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2016;8(4):109-16.
25. Fliur M, Zinaida R, Serghei P, Veaceslav B, Ghenadie R, Nathaly S, et al. The structureâ€“antituberculosis activity relationships study in a series of 5-aryl-2-thio-1,3,4-oxadiazole derivatives, Bioorg Med Chem 2011;19:6792-807.
26. Rane RA, Bangalore P, Borhade SD, Khandare PK. Synthesis and evaluation of novel 4-nitropyrrole-based 1,3,4-oxadiazole derivatives as antimicrobial and anti-tubercular agents. Eur J Med Chem 2013;70:49-58.
27. Zarghi A, Faizi M, Shafaghi B, Ahadian A, Khojastehpoor HR, Zanganeh V, et al. (2005) Design and synthesis of new 2-substituted-5-(2-benzylthiophenyl)-1,3,4-oxadiazoles as benzodiazepine receptor agonists. Bioorg Med Chem Lett 2005;15:3126-9.
28. Sun J, Li MH, Qian SS, Guo FJ, Dang XF, Wang XM, et al. Synthesis and antitumor activity of 1,3,4-oxadiazole possessing 1,4-benzodioxan moiety as a novel class of potent methionine aminopeptidase type II inhibitors. Bioorg Med Chem Lett 2013;23:2876-9.
29. Shahzad SA, Yar M, Bajda M, Jadoon B, Khan ZA, et al. Synthesis and biological evaluation of novel oxadiazole derivatives: A new class of thymidine phosphorylase inhibitors as potential anti-tumor agents. Bioorg Med Chem 2014;22:1008-15.
30. Salimon J, Salih N, Yousif E, Hameed A, Kreem A. Synthesis and pharmacological evaluation of 9(10H)-acridone bearing 1,3,4-oxadiazole derivatives as antimicrobial agents. Arab J Chem 2010;3:205-10.
31. Ren J, Wu L, Xin WQ, Chen X, Hu K. Synthesis and biological evaluation of novel 4b-(1,3,4-oxadiazole-2-amino)- podophyllotoxin derivatives. Bioorg Med Chem Lett 2012;22:4778-82.
32. Vaso K, Behrami A, Govori SN. Synthesis and antibacterial activity of 4-(4 hydroxyphenylamine)-3-[1-(phenylhydrazine]-2H--benzopyran-2-one. The comparison of the antibacterial activity with standard drugs. Montenegro Podgorica 2012;11:93.
33. Pingaew R, Saekee A, Mandi P, Nantasenamat C, Prachayasittikul S, Ruchirawat S, et al. Synthesis, biological evaluation and molecular docking of novel chalcone-coumarin hybrids as anticancer and antimalarial agents. Eur J Med Chem 2014;85:65-76.
34. Agarwal R. Synthesis and biological screening of some novel Coumarin derivatives. Biochem Pharmacol 2000;6:1042-51.
35. Pisani L, Muncipinto G, Miscioscia TF, Nicolotti O, Leonetti F, Catto M, et al. Discovery of a novel class of potent coumarin monoamine oxidase B inhibitors: Development and biopharmacological profiling of 7-[(3-chlorobenzyl)oxy]-4-[(methylamino)methyl]-2H-chromen-2-one methanesulfonate (NW-1772) as a highly potent, selective, reversible, and orally active monoamine oxidase B inhibitor. J Med Chem 2009;52:6685-706.
36. Husain A, Rashid M, Shaharyar M, Siddiqui AA, Mishra R. Benzimidazole clubbed with triazolo-thiadiazoles and triazolo-thiadiazines: New anticancer agents. Eur J Med Chem 2013;62:785-98.
37. Reddy MA, Jain N, Yada D, Kishore C, Vangala JR, P Surendra R, et al. Design and synthesis of resveratrol-based nitrovinylstilbenes as antimitotic agents. J Med Chem 2011;54:6751-60.
38. Zawawi NK, Taha M, Ahmat N, Wadood A, Ismail NH, Rahim F, et al. Novel 2, 5-disubtituted-1, 3, 4-oxadiazoles with benzimidazole backbone: A new class of Î²-glucuronidase inhibitors and in silico studies. Bioorg Med Chem 2015;23:3119-25.
39. Jain PP, Degani MS, Raju A, Ray M, Rajan MG. Rational drug design based synthesis of novel arylquinolines as anti-tuberculosis agents. Bioorg Med Chem Lett 2013;23(22):6097-105.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.