FORMULATION AND EVALUATION OF SELF-EMULSIFYING DRUG DELIVERY SYSTEM OF ETORICOXIB
Objective: In the present dissertation work, the aim was to prepare self-emulsifying drug delivery systems (SEDDS) of etoricoxib to improve its solubility with a view to enhance its oral bioavailability.
Methods: The prepared SEDDS was the concentrate of drug, oil, surfactants, and cosurfactant. The formulation was evaluated for various tests such as solubility, globule size, thermodynamic stability study, pH determination, ease of dispersibility, uniformity index, drug content, in-vitro release study, and in-vitro permeation study.
Results: The optimized formulation F6 showed drug release (79.21Â±2.73%), droplet size (0.546 Î¼m). In vitro drug release of the F6 was highly significant (p<0.05) as compared to the plain drug.
Conclusion: All formulations of etoricoxib SEDDS were showed faster dissolution than plain drug (p<0.05), mean bioavailability of etoricoxib increase in respect to the plain drug. The F6 can be further used for the preparation of various solid SEDDS formulations.
2. Mistry RB, Sheth NS. A review: Self emulsifying drug delivery system. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2011;3(2):238.
3. Kohli K, Chopra S, Dhar D, Arora S, Khar RK. Self-emulsifying drug delivery systems: An approach to enhance oral bioavailability. Drug Discov Today 2010;15(21-22):958-65.
4. Zupancic O, GrieÃŸinger JA, Rohrer J, Pereira de Sousa I, Danninger L, Partenhauser A, et al. Development, in vitro and in vivo evaluation of a self-emulsifying drug delivery system (SEDDS) for oral enoxaparin administration. Eur J Pharm Biopharm 2016;109:113-21.
5. Agrawal AG, Kumar A, Gide PS. Self emulsifying drug delivery system for enhanced solubility and dissolution of glipizide. Colloids Surf B Biointerfaces 2015;126:553-60.
6. Patel AR, Vavia PR. Preparation and in vivo evaluation of SMEDDS (self-microemulsifying drug delivery system) containing fenofibrate. AAPS J 2007;9(3):E344-52.
7. Kadu PJ, Kushare SS, Thacker DD, Gattani SG. Enhancement of oral bioavailability of atorvastatin calcium by self-emulsifying drug delivery systems (SEDDS). Pharm Dev Technol 2011;16(1):65-74.
8. Kanchan K. Self Emulsifying Drug Delivery System for A Curcuminoid Based Composition. United States Patent 20110294900; 2011.
9. Shanmugam S, Baskaran R, Balakrishnan P, Thapa P, Yong CS, Yoo BK. Solid self-nano emulsifying drug delivery system (S-SNEDDS) containing phosphatidylcholine for enhanced bioavailability of highly lipophilic bioactive carotenoid lutein. Eur J Pharm Biopharm 2011;79(2):250-7.
10. Gasperlin M, Zvonar A, Berginc K. Microencapsulation of self micro emulsifying system: Improving solubility and permeability of furosemide. Int J Pharm 2009;8(3):151-8.
11. Mader K, Klein S, Abdalla A. A new self-emulsifying drug delivery system for poorly soluble drugs: Characterization, in vitro digestion and incorporation into solid pellets. Eur J Pharm Sci 2008;35(5):457-64.
12. Shukla JB, Jani GK, Omri AW. Formulation and evaluation of oral self micro emulsifying drug delivery system of candesartan cilexetil. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2016;8(5):238-43.
13. Date AA, Nagarsenker MS. Design and evaluation of self-nanoemulsifying drug delivery systems (SNEDDS) for cefpodoxime proxetil. Int J Pharm 2007;329(1-2):166-72.
14. Kang BK, Lee JS, Chon SK, Jeong SY, Yuk SH, Khang G, et al. Development of self-microemulsifying drug delivery systems (SMEDDS) for oral bioavailability enhancement of simvastatin in beagle dogs. Int J Pharm 2004;274(1-2):65-73.
15. Nazzal S, Smalyukh II, Lavrentovich OD, Khan MA. Preparation and in vitro characterization of a eutectic based semisolid self-nanoemulsified drug delivery system (SNEDDS) of ubiquinone: Mechanism and progress of emulsion formation. Int J Pharm 2002;235(1-2):247-65.
16. Yanli L, Yuanyuan D, Sufeng M. Etoricoxib Dispersible Tablets and Preparation Method Thereof. WIPO Patent Application Number: 201510005409; 2015.
17. Chowdary KP, Enturi V, Pallavi TV. Formulation development of etoricoxib tablets by wet granulation and direct compression methods employing starch phosphate - A new modified starch. Pharm Lett 2011;3(6):163-72.
18. Chowdary KP, Rao KS, Madhuri D. Formulation and evaluation of etoricoxib tablets employing cyclodextrin - Poloxamer 407 - PVPK30 inclusion complexes. Int J Appl Biol Pharm Technol 2011;2(4):43-8.
19. Thakre A, Bhople A, Jaiswal S. Formulation and development of oral fast dissolving tablet of etoricoxib. Pharm Lett 2012;4(4):1169-82.
20. Chauhan B, Shimpi S, Paradkar A. Preparation and characterization of etoricoxib solid dispersions using lipid carriers by spray drying technique. AAPS PharmSciTech 2005;6(3):E405-12.
21. Patel SN, Patel DN, Patel CN. Self emulsifying drug delivery system. J Glob Pharm Technol 2010;2(2):29-37.
22. Singh K, Sharma M, Gandhi K. Recent approaches in self emulsifying drug delivery system. Int J Pharm Sci Res 2012;3(11):4192-201.
23. Nawale RB, Salunke PB, Jadhav AB. Self emulsifying drug delivery system: A review. J Pharm Sci Res 2015;6(8):3198-208.
24. Sharma V, Singh J, Gill B, Harikumar SL. SMEDDS: A novel approach for lipophilic drugs. J Pharm Sci Res 2012;3(6):2441-50.
25. Goyal U, Gupta A, Rana AC, Aggarwal G. Self micro emulsifying drug delivery system: A method for enhancement of bioavailability. J Pharm Sci Res 2012;3(1):66-79.
26. Attama AA, Nkemnele MO. In vitro evaluation of drug release from self micro-emulsifying drug delivery systems using a biodegradable homolipid from Capra hircus. Int J Pharm 2005;304(1-2):4-10.
27. Deshmukh SR, Bakhle SS, Upadhye K, Dixit GR. Formulation and evaluation of solid self-emulsifying drug delivery system of gliclazide. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2016;8(11):144-51.
28. Jaiswal P, Aggarwal G, Harikumar SL, Singh K. Development of self-microemulsifying drug delivery system and solid-self-microemulsifying drug delivery system of telmisartan. Int J Pharm Investig 2014;4(4):195-206.
29. Meena AK, Sharma K, Kandaswamy M, Rajagopal S, Mullangi R. Formulation development of an albendazole self-emulsifying drug delivery system (SEDDS) with enhanced systemic exposure. Acta Pharm 2012;62(4):563-80.
30. Qi X, Wang L, Zhu J, Hu Z, Zhang J. Self-double-emulsifying drug delivery system (SDEDDS): A new way for oral delivery of drugs with high solubility and low permeability. Int J Pharm 2011;409(1-2):245-51.
31. Feng N, Zhang P, Liu Y, Xu J. Preparation and evaluation of self-micro emulsifying drug delivery system of oridonin. Int J Pharm 2007;9(3):269-76.
32. Abdalla A, MÃ¤der K. Preparation and characterization of a self-emulsifying pellet formulation. Eur J Pharm Biopharm 2007;66(2):220-6.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.