RAPID AND ECONOMICAL QUANTITATIVE DETERMINATION OF SEVERAL ANTIHYPERTENSIVE AGENTS IN PRESENCE OF HYDROCHLOROTHIAZIDE BY ISOCRATIC REVERSED-PHASE HIGH-PERFORMANCE LIQUID CHROMATOGRAPHY IN THEIR PHARMACEUTICAL PREPARATIONS
Objective: Objective of the present investigation is to develop a speedy isocratic reverse phase high-performance liquid chromatography (RP-HPLC) method for the separation and quantitative determination of 5 angiotensin II - receptor antagonists, namely, telmisartan, losartan, valsartan, olmesartan, irbesartan, and atenolol along with thiazide diuretics mostly hydrochlorothiazide (HCTZ).
Methods: RP-HPLC method was evolved using Welchrom C18 column (4.6 Ã— 250 mm, 5 Î¼m) as a stationary phase with the mobile phase comprising a variety of phosphate buffer with pH-3.3 and acetonitrile in the proportion of 50:50 v/v. The mobile phase was pumped at a current rate of 1 mL/minute. The detection wavelength was carried out at 230 nm.
Results: The total run time was 6 minutes and the elution window of only 3 minutes. The peaks were eluted with decorous resolution. The calibration curves were linear (r2=0.9998) in all cases. The percentage relative standard deviation (RSD%) was <2% and average recovery was above 99.95%. The method was validated specificity, precision, and accuracy. High recovery values and low RSD% prove that this method is very accurate and reproducible. The developed method was applied to the estimation of the above-said drugs in binary combinations from different manufacturers which were a good agreement with label claim.
Conclusion: The important advantage of developed method was that the five individual drugs can be determined on a single chromatographic system without alteration in detection wavelength and mobile phase composition. This novel method was statistically validated as per ICH guidelines. The optimized method proved to be linear, accurate, and robust. Hence, the above said proposed method was found to be a rapid tool for the routine determination of the above-said drugs in alone or combination with HCTZ in quality control analysis without interference of excipients.
2. Hillaert S, van den Bossche W. Simultaneous determination of hydrochlorothiazide and several angiotensin-II-receptor antagonists by capillary electrophoresis. J Pharm Biomed Anal 2007;31(2):329-39.
3. Ahmed S, Atia NN, Mohamed NA. Dual separation mode for simultaneous determination of antihypertensive drug combinations by high-performance liquid chromatography. Talanta 2011;84(3):666-72.
4. Ravisankar P, Devi MS, Ravali B, Tejaswini K, Balaji D, Babu PS. Rapid simultaneous separation of four sartans by isocratic RP-HPLC method: Application to determination of olmisartan in pharmaceutical dosage form. J Chem Pharm Sci 2015;8(1):61.
5. Yadav SS, Rao JR. RP-HPLC method for simultaneous estimation of losartan, hydrochlorothiazide and amlodipine in tablet dosage form. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2014;7(1):137-40.
6. Ravisankar P, Swathi J, Kumar KV, Babu PS. Novel RP-HPLC method for simultaneous determination of olmesartan medoxomil, amlodipine besylate and hydrochlorothiazide in tablet dosage form. Int J Biol Pharm Res 2014;5(12):927-36.
7. Kumar MS, Rao JV. Development and validation of stability indicating RP-HPLC method for simultaneous determination of telmisartan and amlodipine in combined dosage form. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2014;7(1):32-5.
8. Ravisankar R, Vineela C, Koushik OS, Babu PS. Novel simultaneous separation and quantitative determination of telmisartan, losartan, olmesartan and irbesartan in presence of hydrochlorothiazide by isocratic RP-HPLC. Adv J Pharm Life Sci Res 2015;3(4):1-18.
9. Tian DF, Tian XL, Tian T, Wang ZY, Mo FK. Simultaneous determination of valsartan and hydrochlorothiazide in tablets by RP-HPLC. Indian J Pharm Sci 2008;70(3):372-4.
10. Kollipara S, Bende G, Bansal Y, Saha R. Stability-indicating reversed-phase liquid chromatographic method for simultaneous determination of losartan potassium and ramipril in tablets. Indian J Pharm Sci 2012;74(3):201-10.
11. Wankhede SB, Tajne MR, Gupta KR, Wadodkar SG. RP-HPLC method for simultaneous estimation of telmisartan and hydrochlorothiazide in tablet dosage form. Indian J Pharm Sci 2007;69(2):298-300.
12. Ravisankar P, Manjusha K, Sri VL, Kumar BV, Rajyalakshmi K, Babu PS. Quantitative estimation of four sartans in presence of hydrochlorothiazide in pharmaceutical preparations by high performance liquid chromatography. Br J Pharm Res 2016;11(4):1-15.
13. Rane VP, Patil KR, Shangshetti JN, Yeole RD, Shinde DB. Stability-indicating LC method for the determination of olmesartan in bulk drug and in pharmaceutical dosage form. Chromatographia 2009;69(1-2):169-73.
14. Patel UM, Chokshi AB, Desai PR. Development and validation of RP-HPLC method for determination of hydrochlorothiazide, olmesartan medoxomil and their related substances in combined tablet dosage form. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2014;6(9):318-23.
15. Indrani B, Ghosh SK. Development and validation of stability indicating RP-HPLC method for the determination of atenolol and hydrochlorthiazide in combined solid dosage form. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2015;7(2):489-92.
16. Shetty SK, Surendranath KV, Radhakrishnanand P. Quantitative application to a polypill by the development of stability indicating LC method for the simultaneous estimation of aspirin, atorvastatin, atenolol and losartan potassium. Am J Anal Chem 2010;2:59-69.
17. Kristoffersen L, Ã˜iestad EL, Opdal MS, Krogh M, Lundanes E, Christophersen AS. Simultaneous determination of 6 beta-blockers, 3 calcium-channel antagonists, 4 angiotensin-II antagonists and 1 antiarrhythmic drug in post-mortem whole blood by automated solid phase extraction and liquid chromatography mass spectrometry. Method development and robustness testing by experimental design. J Chromatogr B Analyt Technol Biomed Life Sci 2007;850(1-2):147-60.
18. Li H, Wang Y, Jiang Y, Tang Y, Wang J, Zhao L, et al. A liquid chromatography/tandem mass spectrometry method for the simultaneous quantification of valsartan and hydrochlorothiazide in human plasma. J Chromatogr B Analyt Technol Biomed Life Sci 2007;852(1-2):436-42.
19. Tutunji LF, Tutunji MF, Alzoubi MI, Khabbas MH, Arida AI. Simultaneous determination of irbesartan and hydrochlorothiazide in human plasma using HPLC coupled with tandem mass spectrometry: Application to bioequivalence studies. J Pharm Biomed Anal 2010;51(4):985-90.
20. Vaidya VV, Roy SM, Yetal SM, Joshi SS, Parekh SS. LC-MS-MS determination of olmesartan in human plasma. Chromatographia 2008;67(1-2):147-50.
21. Liu F, Zhang J, Gao S, Guo Q. Simultaneous determination of hydrochlorothiazide and valsartan in human plasma by liquid chromatography/tandem mass spectrometry. Anal Lett 2008;41(8):1348-65.
22. Ravisankar P, Gowthami S, Rao GD. A review on analytical method development. Indian J Res Pharm Biotechnol 2014;2(3):1183-95.
23. International Conference on Harmonization Q2 (R1). Validation of Analytical Procedures: Text and Methodology. Geneva: International Conference on Harmonization; 2005. p. 1-17.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.