SENSITIVE SPECTROPHOTOMETRIC ASSAY OF MUSCARINIC RECEPTOR ANTAGONIST TOLTERODINE TARTRATE IN BULK DRUG AND PHARMACEUTICAL FORMULATIONS
Objective: Simple, sensitive, and accurate spectrophotometric methods have been developed for the assay of tolterodine tartrate (TOL) in bulk drugand pharmaceutical formulations.
Methods: The proposed methods are based on oxidation reaction of TOL with a known excess of cerium(IV) ammonium sulfate as an oxidizing agentin acid medium followed by determination of unreacted oxidant by adding a fixed amount of dye, e.g., amaranth (AM), rhodamine 6G (Rh6G), andindigo carmine (IC) followed by measuring the absorbance at 520, 530, and 610 nm, respectively. The effect of experimental conditions was studiedand optimized.
Results: The Beerâ€™s law was obeyed in the concentration ranges of 1.0-10, 1.0-12, and 0.5-9.0 Î¼g/mL using AM, Rh6G, and IC dyes, respectively, witha correlation coefficient â‰¥0.9995. The calculated molar absorptivity values are 1.868Ã—104, 1.008Ã—104, and 1.623Ã—104 L/mol/cm using AM, Rh6G, andIC dyes, respectively. The limits of detection and quantification were reported. Intraday and interday accuracy and precision of the methods have beenevaluated. No interference was observed from the additives.
Conclusion: The proposed methods were successfully applied to the assay of TOL in tablets preparations, and the results were statistically comparedwith those of the reported method by applying Studentâ€™s t-test and F-test. The reliability of the methods was further ascertained by performingrecovery studies using the standard addition method.
2. Kumar SA, Debnath M, Rao JV. Method development and validation of tolterodine tartrate in bulk as well as in pharmaceutical formulation by using RP-HPLC. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2013;5:665-71.
3. Mhamukar S, Vyavaharkar R, Bhoir SI. RP-HPLC method development and validation for the simultaneous estimation of tamsulosin HCL and tolterodine tartrate in pharmaceutical dosage form. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2012;4:319-22.
4. Dwibhashyam VS, Keerthi P, Ratna JV, Nagappa AN. Reverse-phase, high performance liquid chromatographic method for the determination of tolterodine tartrate in routine quality control samples. PDA J Pharm Sci Technol 2009;63(3):234-9.
5. Vasantharaju SG, Mishra A, Arumugam K, Musmade PP, Udupa N, Bhat KM. Stability indicating RP-HPLC method for determination of tolterodine in solid dosage form. J Pharm Res 2009;8:184-6.
6. Ramathilagam N, Meeradevi M, Solairaj P, Rajesh SC. Development and validation of HPLC method for the estimation of tolterodine tartarate in tablets. Int J Pharm Biol Sci 2012;2:332-7.
7. Kumar CB, Narayanan BL, Chandrasekar M, Malairajan P, Kumar EP. Development and validation of RP-HPLC method for the quantitative estimation of tolterodinetartrate in capsule formulation. RGUHS J Pharm Sci 2013;3:58-64.
8. Yanamandra R, Vadla CS, Puppala U, Patro B, Murthy YL, Ramaiah PA. A new rapid and sensitive stability-indicating UPLC assay method for tolterodine tartrate: Application in pharmaceuticals, human plasma and urine samples. Sci Pharm 2012;80(1):101-14.
9. Shetty SK, Shah A. Development and validation of tolterodine by RP-HPLC method in bulk drug and pharmaceutical dosage forms. Int J PharmTech Res 2011;3:1083-7.
10. MacÃkovÃ¡ P, SkopalovÃ¡ J, CankaÅ™ P, PapouÅ¡kovÃ¡ B, StrakovÃ¡ R, JirovskÃ½ D, et al. Electrochemical oxidation of tolterodine. Electroanalysis 2013;25:205-12.
11. Kul D. Sensitive and selective determination of tolterodine tartrate and its electrochemical investigation on solid carbon based electrodes. J Anal Chem 2014;69:970-3.
12. Nassar MW, Attia KA, Abou-Seada HM, El-Olemy AA. Spectrofluorimetric determination of tolterodinetartarate in pure form and pharmaceutical preparation. Int J Pharm Sci Res 2013;4:3845-9.
13. Siddartha B, Babu IS, Krupalini A, Prathyusha V. Development and validation of UV - Spectrophotometric method of tolterodine in bulk and pharmaceutical dosage form. Asian J Pharm Anal 2013;3:102-4.
14. Sankar DG, Kumar DV, Krishna MV, Latha PV. UV-spectrophotometric setermination of tolterodine tartarate and cefepime. Asian J Chem 2005;17:2028-30.
15. Walash MI, Belal F, El-Enany N, Elmansi H. Determination of tolterodine tartarate in pharmaceutical preparations using eosin, application to stability study. Int J Pharm Sci Res 2011;2:2849-55.
16. Vanilatha S, Theresa MM, Prasanna N, Kumari DS, Harika B, Sirisha P,
et al. New method development and validation of tolterodine using visible spectrophotometer. Int J Sci Innov Discov 2011;1:288-93.
17. Ishaq BM, Prakash KV, Manjula B, Kumar CH, Rani GU. New aurum coupling reaction for visible spectrophotometric determination of tolterodine tartrate in pharmaceutical preparations. Int J Chem Anal Sci 2010;1:165-7.
18. Faraihat S. Spectrophotometric determination of tolterodine tartrate via charge-transfer complexation reactions. J Chem Soc Pak 2013;35:333-7.
19. Bab MS, Prasad UV, Ramu BK. Assay of tolterodine tartrate using MBTH reagent in bulk and its pharmaceutical formulations. Am J PharmTech Res 2012;2:395-404.
20. Bab MS, Prasad UV, Ramu BK. Visible spectrophotometric determination of tolterodine tartrate from capsule formulations by oxidative coupling reaction. J Sci Res Pharm 2012;1:70-2.
21. Fraihat SM, Khatib HS. Indirect spectrophotometric determination of tolterodine tartrate in pure and pharmaceutical preparations. Asian J Chem 2013;25:1887-90.
22. Ganesh M, Hemalatha P, Peng MM, Vinodh R, Saktimanigandan K, Jang HT. Determination of tolterodine tartrate in bulk and formulation by extractive colorimetric method using tropaeolin OOO-1. Trop J Pharm Res 2014;13:1667-73.
23. Ibrahim M, Fraihat S. Simple spectrophotometric methods for determination of tolterodine tartrate in pharmaceutical forms. Int J ChemTech Res 2015;8:665-9.
24. Sankar DG, Rao BD, Latha PV, Krishna MV. Spectrophotometric determination of tolterodine tartarate and repaglinide. Asian J Chem 2007;19:1616-8.
25. Sankar DG, Kumar DV, Krishna MV, Latha PV. New spectrophotometric methods for the estimation of tolterodine tartarate in pharmaceutical formulations. Asian J Chem 2005;17:1357-9.
26. Kolthoff IM, Belcher R, Stenger VA, Matsuyama G. Volumetric Analysis. Vol. III. New York, USA: Interscience Publishers, Inc.; 1957. p. 504.
27. Abdellatef HA, El-Henawee MM, El-Sayed HM, Ayad MM. Spectrophotometric and spectrofluorimetric methods for analysis of acyclovir and acebutolol hydrochloride. Spectrochim Acta A 2006;65:997-9.
28. Krebs A, Starczewska B, Puzanowska-Tarasiewicz H, Sledz J. Spectrophotometric determination of olanzapine by its oxidation with N-bromosuccinimide and cerium(IV)sulfate. Anal Sci 2006;22(6):829-33.
29. El-Didamony AM, Erfan EA. Utilization of oxidation reactions for the spectrophotometric determination of captopril using brominating agents. Spectrochim Acta A 2010;75:1138-45.
30. El-Didamony AM, Erfan EA. Cerimetric determination of four antihypertensive drugs in pharmaceutical preparations. J Chil Chem Soc 2011;56:875-80.
31. El-Didamony AM, Hassan WS. Spectrophotometric and fluorimetric methods for determination of naltrexone in urine, serum and tablets by oxidation with cerium (IV). J Chil Chem Soc 2012;57:1404-8.
32. Ringbom A. Accuracy of calorimetric determinations. Z Anal Chem 1939;115:332.
33. International Conference on Harmonisation of Technical Requirements for Registration of Pharmaceuticals for Human Use. ICH Harmonized Tripartite Guideline, Validation of Analytical Procedures: Text and Methodology Q2(R 1), Complementary Guideline on Methodology, London, November; 2005.
34. Miller JN, Miller JC. Statistics and Chemometrics for Analytical Chemistry. 5th ed. England: Prentice Hall; 2005.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.