CIPROFLOXACIN RESISTANCE AMONG CLINICAL ISOLATES FROM ACUTE RESPIRATORY INFECTIONS (ARIs) PATIENTS AT COMMUNITY HEALTH CENTERS IN TASIKMALAYA, INDONESIA
Objective:Acute respiratory infections (ARIs) are acute infections of any part of the respiratory tract and related structures including middle ear, paranasal sinuses, and pleural cavity. This study was to determine the resistance in isolates of the pathogen of the patients with acute respiratory infections in clinics in Tasikmalaya against antibiotic ciprofloxacin and effectiveness of this antibiotic.
Methods: Isolates were obtained fromswabs cavity of 332 patients with acute respiratory infections. Ciprofloxacin resistance against pathogenic isolates of diseased patients ARIs was determined by using paper disk diffusion method.
Results:The patient isolates shows that it is resistance to the antibiotic ciprofloxacin with the percentage of 19.81%.
Conclusion:Ciprofloxacin level of antibiotic resistance being mediated resistance. Routine surveillance and education to health professionals and patients is very important to overcome the problem.
2. Brazile-Pharm-Khac S, Truong QC, Lafont JP, Gutman L, Zhou XY, Osman M, et al. Resistance to fluoroquinolones in Escherchia coli isolated from poultry. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 1996;40Suppl6: 1504-7.
3. Brown JC, Shanahan PM, Jesudason MV, Thomson CJ, Amyes SG. Mutation responsible for reduced susceptibility to â€“quinolones in clinical isolates of multi-resistant Salmonella typhi in India. J AntimicrobChemother 1996; 37 Suppl 1: 891-900.P
4. Clinical and Laboratory Standards Institute: Performance Standards for Antimicrobial Susceptibility Testing; Tweny-first Informational Supplement. CLSI document M 100-S 21 (ISBN 1-56238-742-1). 2011, Wayne, PA, USA: Clinical and Laboratory Standards Institute.
5. Interventions and strategies to improve the use of antimicrobials in developingcountries,WHO/CDS/CSR/DRS/2001.9,16.(http://whqlibdoc.who.int/hq/2001/WHO_CDS_CSR_DRS2001.9.pdf
6. Meneghetti, Anne M.D. 2007. UpperRespiratory Tract Infection: Treatment and Medication. Available online at http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/302460-overview.
7. Profil Dinas Kesehatan Profinsi Jawa Barat. 2012. Pola Penyakit Penderita Rawat jalan di Clinics Umur 1-4 tahun.www.depkes.go.id/resources/download/12_Profil_Kes.Prov.JawaBarat_2012.pdf.
8. Refdanita, Maksum R., Nurgani A., Endang P. 2004.Faktor yang MempengaruhiKetidaksesuaian Pengunaan Antibiotika dengan Uji Kepekaan di Ruang Intensif Rumah Sakit Fatmawati Jakarta Tahun 2001 â€“ 2002. Makara, Kesehatan, Vol. 8, No. 1, Juni 2004: 21-6.
9. Schaffner W, Ray W, Federspiel C, Miller W. Improvingantibiotic prescribing in office practice. JAMA 1983;250:1728-32.
10. Schoenbaum SC. Feedback of clinical practice information. HMO Pract1993; 7:5-11.
11. Sorensen TL, Monnet D. Control of antibiotic use in thecommunity: The Danish experience. Infect Control HospEpidemiol 2000; 21: 387-9.
12. WHO. 1999. Bacterial etiology of serious infections in young infants in developing countries : results of a multicenter study. WHO Young Infants Study Group. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 19.
13. WHO. 2001. Antibiotic resistance : synthesis of recommendation by expert policy groups Alliance for thePrudent Use of Antibiotics. WHO.
14. WHO. 2011. Bacterial resistance. http://www.ino.searo.who.int/linkfiles/home_whd11-messages-11_03_31-faqs.pdf
15. Waller, Renwick, and Hillier. 2001. Medical Pharmacology and Therapeutics. Harcourt Publishers Limited.
16. Land T. Combating counterfeit drugs. Nature 1992; 355: 192.
17. McGregor A. Counterfeit drugs flood developing world. Lancet 1997; 350: 1690.
18. Pecoul B, Chirac P, Trouiller P, Pinel J. Access to essential drugs in poor countries: a lost battle? J Am Med Assoc 1999; 281: 361-7.
19. Lansang MA, Lucas-Aquino R, Tupasi TE, et al. Purchase of antibiotics without prescription in Manila, Philippines. Inappropriate choices and doses. J ClinEpidemiol 1990; 43: 61-7.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.