A CASE Study on Software Project Development Cost, Schedule & Effort Estimation
This paper theme is to provide a case study of Software Project Development cost, effort, and schedule estimation. From recent past, a remarkableÂ research takes place in developing different techniques on software effort and cost estimation. Making estimation before start of any project isÂ necessary to be able to plan and manage any project. The estimate is an intelligent guess for the project resources. Nowadays, software has becomeÂ a major contributor to economic growth for any nation. Making an estimate before starting any software project is vital for the project managersÂ and key stakeholders. Major project milestones such as project schedules, budgeting, resource allocation, and project delivery dates are set on the
effort and cost estimates. Thus, the reliability of the estimation leads any project success or otherwise fail. In this article, authorâ€™s idea is to work withÂ function point analysis and include the concept of workforce scheduling in a better way while taking the decision in the contract phase. That leadsÂ to strengthening the relations between the developer and the customer. Basically, size is a main measured unit of the software project. Based on theÂ size and other functionalities, the software managers estimate the total effort required to develop the project. From the effort and work schedule, theÂ total cost can be estimated.
2. Rao BV, Ramaiah PS. Software effort estimation framework to improve organizational productivity using emotion recognition of software engineers in spontaneous speech. J Soft Comput 2015;6(1):1076-82.
3. Cunha JC, Cruz S, Costa M, Rodrigues AR, Vieira M. Implementing Software Effort Estimation in a Medium-sized Company. 2011 34th IEEE Software Engineering Workshop,SEW.2011.19, IEEE Computer Society, 1550-6215/11. p. 92-6.
4. Rao BV, Seetharamaiah P. Organizational strategies and social interaction influence in software development effort estimation. J Comput Eng 2014;16(2):29-40.
5. Le-Do TK, Yoon KA, Seo YS, Bae DH. Filtering of Inconsistent Software Project Data for Analogy-based Effort Estimation. 2010 34th Annual IEEE Computer Software and Applications Conference, COMPSAC.2010.56, IEEE Computer Society, 0730-3157/10; 2010. p. 503-8.
6. Nadgeri SM, Hulsure VP, Gawande AD. Comparative Study of Various Regression Methods for Software Effort Estimation. Third International Conference on Emerging Trends in Engineering and Technology, ICETER.2010.22, IEEE Computer Society, 978-0-7695-4246-1/10 2010; 2010. p. 642-5.
7. Hsu CJ, Rodas NU, Huang CY, Peng KL. A Study of Improving the Accuracy of Software Effort Estimation Using Linearly Weighted Combinations. 2010 34th Annual IEEE Computer Software and Applications Conference Workshops, COMPSACW.2010.27, IEEE Computer Society, 978-0-7695-4105-1/10; 2010. p. 98-103.
8. Attarzadeh I, Ow SH. A Novel Soft Computing Model to Increase the Accuracy of Software Development Cost Estimation. IEEE, 978-1- 4244-5586-7/10. Vol. 3; 2010. p. 603-7.
9. Rao BV, Ramaiah PS. Adaptive system for estimating development effort. J CNS 2011;1(1):52-6.
10. Keung J. Software Development Cost Estimation using Analogy: A Review. 2009 Australian Software Engineering Conference, ASWEC.2009.32, IEEE Computer Society, 1530-0803/09; 2009. p. 327-36.
11. Zhang B, Zhang R. Evaluation Model of Software Cost Estimation Methods Based on Fuzzy-Grey Theory, 2009 Fourth International Conference on Internet Computing for Science and Engineering, ICICSE.2009.63, IEEE Computer Society, 978-0-7695-4027-6/10; 2009. p. 52-5.
12. Rao BV, Ramaiah PS. A novel approach to design neuro-fuzzy expert system for software estimation. Int J Eng Res Technol 2013;2(13):3012-7.
13. Keung J, Jeffery R. Automated Support for Software Cost Estimation using Web-CoBRA, IEEE Computer Society, APSEC.2008.44, 1530- 1362/08; 2008. p. 519-26.
14. Rao BV, Ramaiah PS. Software size estimation using fuzzy back-propagation network method. Int J Comput Sci 2012;9(1):339-48.
15. Idri A, Elyassami S. Applying fuzzy ID3 decision tree for software effort estimation. Int J Comput Sci 2011;8(4)131-8.
16. Nassif BA, Ho D, Capretz LF. Towards an early software estimation using log-linear regression and multilayer perceptron model. J Syst Softw 2013;86:144-60.
17. Parthasarathy MA. Practical Software Estimation - Function Point Methods for Insourced and Outsourced Projects. Saddle River, NJ: Infosys Press, Pearson, First Impression; 2007.
18. Thompson GM. Workforce Scheduling: A Guide for the Hospitality Industry by The Center for Hospitality Research at Cornell University. Cornell CHR Reports. Vol. 4. April; 2004.