CENTRAL COMPOSITE DESIGN TO DEVELOP A ROBUST REVERSED-PHASE THIN-LAYER CHROMATOGRAPHY/DENSITOMETRY METHOD FOR QUANTIFICATION OF PARABENS IN COSMETIC PREPARATIONS
Â Objective: The current study was framed with a view to develop a simple, sensitive and a rapid reversed-phase thin-layer chromatography (RP-TLC)/ densitometry method for quantification of parabens (methyl, ethyl, propyl, and butyl) in various cosmetic preparations available in local market. Moreover, robustness testing was planned to be performed applying a central composite design (CCD).
Methods: The desired chromatographic separation was achieved on RP-TLC/densitometry plates precoated with Silica gel 60 GF254 on aluminum sheet, employing methanol:toluene:acetonitrile:glacial acetic acid as mobile phase in the ratio of 3:5:1.8:0.2 v/v/v/v and detection was carried out at 256 nm.
Results: The mobile phase used gave an excellent resolution of all the four separated parabens. The method was found linear over a wide range of 6.25- 400 ng/spot. The optimized method was validated by measuring various validation parameters. CCD was employed to check the robustness of the method at three-factor levels. The developed and optimized method was used to quantify parabens in 30 different cosmetic products procured from local market.
Conclusion: The proposed and developed RP-TLC/densitometry method can be applied for routine analysis of all the parabens in cosmetic products and can also be extended to the analysis in pharmaceuticals and food products.
2. Vo TT, Yoo YM, Choi KC, Jeung EB. Potential estrogenic effect(s) of parabens at the prepubertal stage of a postnatal female rat model. Reprod Toxicol 2010;29(3):306-16.
3. Boberg J, Taxvig C, Christiansen S, Hass U. Possible endocrine disrupting effects of parabens and their metabolites. Reprod Toxicol 2010;30(2):301-12.
4. Oishi S. Effects of propyl paraben on the male reproductive system. Food Chem Toxicol 2002;40(12):1807-13.
5. Oishi S. Effects of butyl paraben on the male reproductive system in mice. Arch Toxicol 2002;76(7):423-9.
6. Ambekar AM, Kuchekar BS. Application of a validated stability-indicating HPTLC method for simultaneous quantitative determination of candesartan cilexetil and hydrochlorothiazide in pharmaceutical dosage form. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2016;8(5):151-7.
7. Kaul N, Agrawal H, Paradkar AR, Mahadik KR. HPTLC method for determination of nevirapine in pharmaceutical dosage form. Talanta 2004;62(4):843-52.
8. Swarbrick J. Encyclopedia of Pharmaceutical Technology. 1st ed., Vol. 1. London, UK: Informa Healthcare Inc.; 2007. p. 2452-67.
9. Ravichandiran V, Sumithra M. Application of quality by design (CCD technique) for simultaneous estimation of cefixime and ofloxacin by HPTLC method. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2016;8(7):200-28.
10. Uysal UD, Guray T. Determination of parabens in pharmaceutical and cosmetic products by capillary electrophoresis. J Anal Chem 2008;63:982-6.
11. Noguera-Orti JF, Villanueva-Camanas RM, Ramis-Ramos G. Determination of parabens in cosmetics without previous extraction by micellar liquid chromatography. J Chromatogr Sci 1999;37:83-7.
12. Lokhnauth JK, Snow NH. Determination of parabens in pharmaceutical formulations by solid-phase microextraction-ion mobility spectrometry. Anal Chem 2005;77(18):5938-46.
13. Hao YS, Hai LJ, Hong LM, Gang P, Lu Z, Yun FC. Simultaneous determination of seven phthalates and four parabens in cosmetic products using HPLC-DAD and GC-MS methods. J Sep Sci 2007;30:48-54.
14. Grosa G, Del Grosso E, Russo R, Allegrone G. Simultaneous, stability indicating, HPLC-DAD determination of guaifenesin and methyl and propyl-parabens in cough syrup. J Pharm Biomed Anal 2006;41(3):798-803.
15. Canosa P, Perez-Palacios D, Garrido-Lopez A, Tena MT, Rodriguez I, RubI E, et al. Pressurized liquid extraction with in-cell clean-up followed by gas chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry for the selective determination of parabens and triclosan in indoor dust. J Chromatogr A 2007;1161:105-12.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.