DEVELOPMENT AND VALIDATION OF RP-HPLC METHOD FOR DETERMINATION OF LEVAMISOLE IN BULK AND DOSAGE FORM
Objective: To develop a reverse phase isocratic HPLC was developed and validated for the determination of levamisole in bulk and tablet dosage forms.
Method: Method development was carried out on Welchrom C18 isocratic column, (250 mm Ã— 4.6 mm i.d., particle size 5 Î¼m, maintained at ambient temperature), Shimadzu LC-20AT Prominence Liquid Chromatograph. The mobile phase was a mixture of Methanol: Acetonitrile: Water 50:30:20 v/v, with apparent pH of 4.6 and the flow rate was set at 1.0 ml/min and UV detection at 225 nm. Results: Validation parameters were evaluated for the method according to the ICH (Q2R1) guidelines. In the linearity study, linearity was observed from 2-10 Î¼g/ml with correlation coefficient of 0.9999 and regression coefficient of 0.9998. The limit of detection and limit of quantitation for the method were 0.1219 Î¼g/ml and 0.3695 Î¼g/ml, respectively. The statistical analysis shows that the method was found to be accurate, reliable, simple and reproducible. The intra- and inter-assay precisions were satisfactory; the values of relative standard deviations did not exceed 2%. The accuracy of the method was proved; the mean recovery of levamisole was 99.36% to 100.56%. The chromatographic retention time of proposed method was 2.790 min and the mean assay of content was found to be 102.135 Â± 0.933%.
Conclusion: The proposed method was successfully applied for the quantitative determination of levamisole in bulk form and could be used for routine analysis with phenomenal accuracy and precisions.
Keywords: RP-HPLC, Levamisole, Validation, ICH guidelines.
1. Drug today medical journal, Lorina publication (India) Inc., Delhi-91, 2012, DT 78, Vol-1:588.
2. Switi B, Gaikwad, Krishnamohan. GImmnomodulatory activity of methanolic extract of Thespesia populnea leaves in wister albuno rats. Asian J of Pharm Clin Res 2011; 4(4):99-101.
3. El-Didamony AM. Spectrophotometric determination of benzydamine HCl, levamisole HCl and mebeverine HCl through ion-pair complex formation with methyl range. Spectrochimica Acta Part A: Molecular and Biomolecular Spectroscopy 2008; 69(3):770-775.
4. Garcia JJ, Diez MJ, Sierra M, TerÃ¡n MT. Determination of levamisole by HPLC in plasma samples in the presence of heparin and pentobarbital. Journal of Liquid Chromatography 1990; 13(4):743-749.
5. De Bukanski BW, Degroodt JM, Beernaert H. Determination of levamisole and thiabendazole in meat by HPLC and photodiode array detection. Zeitschrift fÃ¼r Lebensmittel-Untersuchung und Forschung 1991; 193(6):545-547.
6. Marriner S, Galbraith EA, Bogan JA. Determination of the anthelmintic levamisole in plasma and gastro-intestinal fluids by high-performance liquid chromatography. Analyst 1980; 105(1255):993-996.
7. Vandamme TF, Demoustier M, Rollmann B. Quantitation of levamisole in plasma using high performance liquid chromatography. European journal of drug metabolism and pharmacokinetics 1995; 20(2):145-149.
8. Sari P, Sun J, Razzak M, Tucker IG. HPLC assay of levamisole and abamectin in sheep plasma for application to pharmacokinetic studies. Journal of liquid chromatography & related technologies 2006; 29(15):2277-2290.
9. Du Preez JL, LÃ¶tter AP. Solid-phase extraction and HPLC determination of levamisole hydrochloride in sheep plasma. The Onderstepoort journal of veterinary research 1996; 63(3):209.
10. Sari P, Razzak M, Tucker IG. Rapid, simultaneous determination of levamisole and abamectin in liquid formulations using HPLC. Journal of liquid chromatography & related technologies 2005; 27(2):351-364.
11. Cannavan A, Blanchflower WJ, Kennedy DG. Determination of levamisole in animal tissues using liquid chromatography-thermospray mass spectrometry. Analyst 1995; 120(2):331-333.
12. Chappell CG, Creaser CS, Stygall JW, Shepherd MJ. Onâ€line highâ€performance liquid chromatographic/gas chromatographic/tandem ion trap mass spectrometric determination of levamisole in milk. Biological mass spectrometry 1992; 21(12):688-692.
13. ICH, Harmonized Tripartite Guideline. Validation of Analytical Procedure: Methodology (Q2B). International Conference on Harmonization, 1997.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.