DESIGN AND MOLECULAR DOCKING STUDIES OF NOVEL ANTIMICROBIAL PEPTIDES USING AUTODOCK MOLECULAR DOCKING SOFTWARE
Objective: Design of novel antimicrobial peptides and study through the molecular docking.
Methods: The molecular structures were drawn in ChemBiodraw ultra and by the help of ChemBiodraw 3D, all structures were energy minimized by theMM2 method and converted to pdbextension file which is readable at the ADT interface. The AutoDock Vina (ADT) 1.5.6 software is used for molecular docking purposes.
Results: Eight antimicrobial peptides (AMPs) were designed based on theMP196antimicrobial peptide. Among these KP_03R (FWRWRW-NH2) showed good binding affinity. These peptides also showed the stereochemical influence on affinity toward the3vma protein of E. coli, where AMP with R stereochemistry showed better activity than its opposite stereochemistry. Â
Conclusion: Novel AMPs were designed by modifications on the MP196 a short chain of amino acids antimicrobial peptides. Molecular docking software was used to determine the binding affinity between drug and receptor protein. Among all the designed peptides KP_03R(FWRWRW-NH2) showed the maximum binding affinity against thepenicillin-binding protein of E.coli and also exhibited stereoselective activity.
2. Jenssen H, Hamill P, Hancock RE. Peptide antimicrobial agents. Clin Microbiol Rev 2006;19(3):491-511.
3. Hancock RE, Scott MG. The role of antimicrobial peptides in animal defenses. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 2000;97(16):8856-61.
4. Dubos RJ. Studies on a bactericidal agent extracted from a soil Bacillus: II. Protective effect of the bactericidal agent against experimental Pneumococcus infections in mice. J Exp Med 1939;70(1):11-7.
5. Hotchkiss RD, Dubos RJ. Fractionation of the bactericidal agent from cultures of a soil Bacillus. J Biol Chem 1940;132:791-2.
6. Van Epps HL. RenÃ© Dubos: Unearthing antibiotics. J Exp Med 2006;203(2):259.
7. Dubos RJ, Hotchkiss RD. The production of bactericidal substances by aerobic Sporulating bacilli. J Exp Med 1941;73(5):629-40.
8. Rammelkamp CH, Weinstein L. Toxic effects of tyrothricin, gramicidin and tyrocidine. J Infect Dis 1942;71:166-73.
9. Ohtani S, Okada T, Yoshizumi H, Kagamiyama H. Complete primary structures of two subunits of purothionin A, a lethal protein for brewerâ€™s yeast from wheat flour. J Biochem 1977;82(3):753-67.
10. Hirsch JG. Phagocytin: A bactericidal substance from polymorph nuclear leucocytes. J Exp Med 1956;103(5):589-611.
11. Groves ML, Peterson RF, Kiddy CA. Poliomorphism in the red protein isolated from milk of individual cows. Nature 1965;207(5000):1007-8.
12. Zeya HI, Spitznagel JK. Antibacterial and enzymic basic proteins from leukocyte lysosomes: Separation and identification. Science 1963;142(3595):1085-7.
13. Chantson JT, Verga Falzacappa MV, Crovella S, Metzler- Nolte N. Solid-phase synthesis, characterization, and antibacterial activities of metallocene-peptide bioconjugates. ChemMedChem 2006;1(11):1268-74.
14. StrÃ¸m MB, Haug BE, Skar ML, Stensen W, Stiberg T, Svendsen JS. The pharmacophore of short cationic antibacterial peptides. J Med Chem 2003;46(9):1567-70.
15. Albada HB, Chiriac AI, Wenzel M, Penkova M, Bandow JE, Sahl HG, et al. Modulating the activity of short arginine-tryptophan containing antibacterial peptides with N-terminal metallocenoyl groups. Beilstein J Org Chem 2012;8:1753-64.
16. Chaurasiya S, Kaur P, Nayak SK, Khatik GL. Virtual screening for identification of novel potent EGFR inhibitors through AutoDock Vina molecular modeling software. J Chem Pharm Res 2016;8:353-60.
17. Shruthy VS, Shakkeela Y. In silico design, docking, synthesis, and evaluation of thiazole Schiff bases. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2014;6:271-5.
18. Muthukala B, Kanakarajan S, Kamalanathan A. In silico docking of quercetin compound against the HeLa cell line proteins. Int J Curr Pharm Res 2015;7:13-6.
19. Munusami P, Vasavi C, Divya G. Molecular docking studies on flavonoid compounds: An insight into aromatase inhibitors. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2014;6:141-8.
20. Kaur P, Khatik GL. Advancements in non-steroidal antiandrogens as potential therapeutic agents for the treatment of prostate cancer. Mini Rev Med Chem 2016;16(7):531-46.
21. Trott O, Olson AJ. AutoDock Vina: Improving the speed and accuracy of docking with a new scoring function, efficient optimization, and multithreading. J Comput Chem 2010;31:455-61.
22. Energy Minimizations were Performed MM2 Interface Program on ChemBio3D Ultra 12.0, and Structures were Drawn by ChemBioDrwa Ultra 12.0. Cambridge: Cambridge Soft; 1985.
23. Available from: http://www.rcsb.org/pdb/explore.do?pdbId=3vma. [Last accessed on 2016 Sep 22].
24. Wenzel M, Chiriac AI, Otto A, Zweytick D, May C, Schumacher C, et al. Small cationic antimicrobial peptides delocalize peripheral membrane proteins. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 2014;111(14):E1409-18.
25. Available from: http://www.aps.unmc.edu/AP/prediction/prediction_ main.php. [Last accessed on 2016 Nov 25].
26. Wang G, Li X, Wang Z. APD2: The updated antimicrobial peptide database and its application in peptide design. Nucleic Acids Res 2009;37:D933-7.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.