SCREENING OF ANTIBACTERIAL ACTIVITY OF FIVE DIFFERENT SPICES (AJWAIN, CORIANDER, CUMIN, FENNEL, AND FENUGREEK) AGAINST PATHOGENIC BACTERIAL STRAINS
Â Objective: This study was focussed on an evaluation of antibacterial activities of aqueous and alcoholic extracts of commonly consumed spices, namely, Ajwain (Trachyspermum ammi), Coriander (Coriandrum sativum), cumin (Cuminum cyminum), fennel (Foeniculum vulgare), and Fenugreek (Trigonella foenum-graecum).
Methods: This study includes the antibacterial effects of spices against six bacterial strains, namely, Escherichia coli, Klebsiella pneumonia, Proteus vulgaris, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, Salmonella typhi, and Staphylococcus aureus to compare their antibacterial effects by the paper disc agar diffusion method with three antibiotics such as amikacin, chloramphenicol, and vancomycin.
Results: According to findings, it is determined that inhibitory activity was detected on aqueous and alcoholic extracts of Ajwain, aqueous extract of cumin and on alcoholic mixed spice sample.
2. Al-Camo E. Chemotherapeutic Agents and Antibiotic Fundamental of Microbiology. 5th ed. U.S.A.: Adlison Wesley Longman Inc; 1996. p. 693-720.
3. Mead PS, Slutsker L, Dietz V, McCaig LF, Bresee JS, Shapiro C, et al. Food-related illness and death in the united states. Emerg Infect Dis 1999;5:607-25.
4. Wink M. Biochemistry of plant secondary metabolism. Sheffield, U. K: Sheffield Academic Press; 1999. p. 205-13.
5. De Felippe Junior J. Plants com efeito no Diabetes mellitus. Diabet Med 2001;18:242-5.
6. Indu MN, Hatha AA, Abirosh C, Harsha U, Vivekanandan G. Antimicrobial activity of some of the south-Indian spices against serotypes of Escherichia coli, Salmonella, Listeria monocytogenes and Aeromonas hydrophila. Braz J Microbiol 2006;37:153-8.
7. Takikawa A, Abe K, Yamamoto M, Ishimaru S, Yasui M, Okubo Y, et al. Antimicrobial activity of nutmeg against Escherichia coli O157. J Biosci Bioeng 2002;94:315-20.
8. Nagoba BS, Pichare A. Medical Microbiology. St. Louis: Elsevier Publications; 2007. p. 117.
9. Sofia PK, Prasad R, Vijay VK, Srinivastava AK. Spices: Natural antimicrobials. J Spice India 2005;18:20.
10. Pelczar MJ, Reid R, Chan EC, Krieg NR. Microbiology. New York: McGraw-Hill Education Pvt. Ltd.; 1986.