EFFECT OF PROPOLIS EXTRACT AND PROPOLIS CANDIES ON THE GROWTH OF STREPTOCOCCUS SANGUINIS ATCC 10556
Objectives: This study aimed to analyze the effects of propolis extract and propolis candies on Streptococcus sanguinis.
Methods: Bacterial suspensions were exposed to propolis extract and propolis candies. For propolis extract, a minimum inhibitory concentration(MIC) was determined using a spectrophotometer, and a minimum bactericidal concentration (MBC) was determined using a standard plate count method. Samples were cultured in brain heart infusion agar, incubated for 24 hrs, and the bacterial colony units formed on the agar plates were manually counted.
Results: Propolis extract inhibits the growth of S. sanguinis at MIC 5% and MBC 10%. The colonies of S. sanguinis decreased after exposure to propolis candies.
Conclusions: Propolis extract and propolis candies are effective to inhibit the growth of S. sanguinis.
2. Caufield PW, Dasanayake AP, Li Y, Pan Y, Hsu J, Hardin JM. Natural history of Streptococcus sanguinis in the oral cavity of
infants: Evidence for a discrete window of infectivity. Infect Immun 2000;68(7):4018-23.
3. Hegde KS, Bhat SS, Rao A, Sain S. Effect of propolis on Streptococcus mutans counts: An in vivo study. Int J Clin Pediatr Dent 2013;6:22-5.
4. Jon CT, Ted JK. Herbal Medicine Research and Global Health: An Ethical Analysis; 2015. Available from: http://www.who.intbulletin/
5. Castaldo S, Capasso F. Propolis, an old remedy used in modern medicine. Fitoterapia 2002;73 Suppl 1:S1-6.
6. Tylkowski B, Trusheva B, Bankova V, Giamberini M, Peev G, Nikolova A. Extraction of biologically active compounds from
propolis and concentration of extract by nanofiltration. J Memb Sci 2010;348(1-2):124-30.
7. Koru O, Toksoy F, Acikel CH, Tunca YM, Baysallar M, Uskudar Guclu A, et al. In vitro antimicrobial activity of propolis samples from
different geographical origins against certain oral pathogens. Anaerobe 2007;13(3-4):140-5.
8. OsÃ©s SM, Pascual-MatÃ© A, FernÃ¡ndez-MuiÃ±o MA, LÃ³pez-DÃaz TM, Sancho MT. Bioactive properties of honey with propolis. Food Chem
9. Buchan RA, Jenkinson HF. Glucosyltransferase production by Streptococcus sanguis Challis and comparison with other oral
streptococci. Oral Microbiol Immunol 1990;5(2):63-71.
10. Safinaz D. Pengaruh Konsumsi Permen Propolis Madu Terhadap Aktivitas Enzim Mieloperoksidase Pada Saliva Terstimulasi [Skripsi].
Fakultas Kedokteran Gigi. Depok: Universitas Indonesia; 2014.
11. Reynolds J. Counting Bacteria; 2011. Available from: http://www. delrio.dcccd.edu/jreynolds/microbiology/2421/lab_manual/counts.pdf.
12. Oda H, Nakagawa T, Maruyama K, Dono Y, Katsuragi H, Sato S. Effect of Brazilian green propolis on oral pathogens and human periodontal fibroblasts. J Oral Biosci 2015;58(2):50-4.
13. Elbaz GA, Elsayad II. Comparison of the antimicrobial effect of Egyptian propolis vs New Zealand propolis on Streptococcus mutans
and lactobacilli in saliva. Oral Health Prev Dent 2012;10(2):155-60.
14. Sforcin JM, Bankova V. Propolis: Is there a potential for the development of new drugs? J Ethnopharmacol 2011;133(2):253-60.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.