EFFECTS OF PROPOLIS EXTRACT AND PROPOLIS CANDIES AGAINST CANDIDA ALBICANS ATCC 10231 GROWTH
Objectives: This research was aimed at analyzing the effect of propolis extract and candies on Candida albicans growth.
Methods: After C. albicans was exposed to propolis extract and candies, the minimum inhibitory concentration (MIC) and minimum bactericidal concentration (MBC) were determined with spectrophotometry, and post-exposure colonies of C. albicans were counted.
Results: The MIC of propolis extract against C. albicans was determined to be 10% and MBC to be 15%. Furthermore, C. albicans colonies were decreased after propolis extract and candies exposure.
Conclusions: Propolis extract and candies were effective to inhibit C. albicans growth.
women with recurrent vulvovaginal candidiasis cervical and vaginal cancer in a woman with chronic graft-versus-host disease. Int J Gynecol Obstet 2011;114(2):158-9.
2. Santos VR, Pimenta FJ, Aguiar MC, do Carmo MA, Naves MD, Mesquita RA. Oral candidiasis treatment with Brazilian ethanol
propolis extract. Phytother Res 2005;19(7):652-4.
3. Shruthi E, Suma B. Health from the hive: Potential uses of propolis in general health. Int J Clin Med 2012;3(3):159-6262.
4. Kacaniova M, Melich M, Knazovicka V, Felsociova S, Sudzinova J. The antimicrobial activity of honey and propolis against yeasts Candida species activitatea antimicrobian. J Pharmacol Sci 2009;42(2):167-3.
5. Al Daamy AH, Ameer H, Zuhaer H. Antifungal activity of propolis against dermatophytes and Candida albicans isolated from human
mouth. J Contemp Med Sci 2015;1(3):4-8.
6. Abu-Elteen KH. The influence of dietary carbohydrates on in vitro adherence of four Candida species to human buccal epithelial cells.
Microb Ecol Health Dis 2005;17(3):156-2.
7. Santana IL, GonÃ§alves LM, de Vasconcellos AA, da Silva WJ, Cury JA, Del Bel Cury AA. Dietary carbohydrates modulate Candida
albicans biofilm development on the denture surface. PLoS One 2013;8(5):e64645.
8. Jin Y, Samaranayake LP, Samaranayake Y, Yip HK. Biofilm formation of Candida albicans is variably affected by saliva and dietary sugars. Arch Oral Biol 2004;49(10):789-98.
9. Arslan S, Silici S, Percin D, Koc AN, Er O. Antimicrobial activity of poplar propolis on mutans streptococci and caries development in rats. Turk J Biol 2012;36:65-73.
10. Senka B, PaÅ¡ic Å , Behija D, Agnesa C. Antifungal activity of propolis originated from Bosnia and herzegovina antifugalno djelovanje bosansko-hercegovackog. Veterinaria 2011;60(3-4):18793.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.