THE EFFECT OF CASEIN PHOSPHOPEPTIDE-AMORPHOUS CALCIUM PHOSPHATE-PROPOLIS CHEWING GUM ON CALCIUM AND PHOSPHATE ION LEVELS IN CARIES-FREE SUBJECT'S SALIVA AND STREPTOCOCCUS MUTANS BIOFILM FORMATION
Objective: The aim of this study is to analyze the amount of calcium and phosphate ion released by casein phosphopeptide-amorphous calcium phosphate (CPP-ACP), which supports the remineralization and the effectiveness of propolis wax in suppressing the mass formation of Streptococcus mutans biofilm on caries-free subjects and to observe if these two active components are effective when combined into one substance and placed inside sugar-free chewing gum.
Methods: Twenty-five samples of caries-free saliva before and after the mastication simulation (five concentrations of chewing gum) in vitro were observed to check for release of calcium and phosphate ions along with a biofilm assay. The release of calcium ions was detected using AAS, the release of phosphate ions was detected using spectrophotometry ultraviolet-visible, and the biofilm assay was detected using a crystal violet 96-well plate ELISA and was evaluated with an ELISA reader.
Result: Chewing gum with a concentration of 0% prop + 5% CPP-ACP showed the highest release level of calcium ions (p<0.05) and phosphate ions (p>0.05) and is significant in suppressing the mass formation of the S. mutans biofilm (p<0.05).
Conclusions: Mastication simulation of CPP-ACP-Propolis chewing gum can increase calcium and phosphate ion levels in caries-free saliva and decrease S. mutans biofilm mass formation; this can support remineralization and becomes a dental caries prevention alternative.
2. Indonesian Ministry of Health. Basic Health Research 2013. Jakarta: Indonesian Ministry of Health; 2013.
3. Tjahja I, Sintawati FX. Factors affecting the oral hygiene of Jakarta citizens in 2007. J Ekol Kesehatan 2009;8(1):860-73.
4. Roberson TM. Studervantâ€™s Art and Science of Operative Dentistry. 4th ed. St. Louis: The Mosby Inc.; 2002.
5. Duailibe SA, GonÃ§alves AG, Ahid FJ. Effect of a propolis extract on Streptococcus mutans counts in vivo. J Appl Oral Sci 2007;15(5):420-3.
6. Sharfina E. Formulasi Dan Uji Efektivitas Permen Karet Berbahan Aktif Lilin Propolis Untuk Pencegahan Karies Gigi. Thesis. Universitas Indonesia; 2014.
7. Reynolds EC. Casein phosphopeptide-amorphous calcium phosphate: The scientific evidence. Adv Dent Res 2009;21(1):25-9.
8. Mount G, Hum W. Preservation and Restoration of Tooth Structure. 2nd ed. Australia: Knowledge Books and Software; 2005.
9. Cai F, Shen P, Morgan MV, Reynolds EC. Remineralization of enamel subsurface lesions in situ by sugar-free lozenges containing casein phosphopeptide-amorphous calcium phosphate. Aust Dent J 2003;48(4):240-3.
10. Santhosh BP, Jethmalani P, Shashibhushan KK, Subba Reddy VV. Effect of casein phosphopeptide-amorphous calcium phosphate containing chewing gum on salivary concentration of calcium and phosphorus: An in-vivo study. J Indian Soc Pedod Prev Dent 2012;30(2):146-50.
11. Reynold EC. Dental mineralization. United States Pat 2014;2(12). Available from: http://www.europepmc.org/patents/PAT/US2008193557.
12. Kaur A, Kwatra KS, Kamboj P. Evaluation of non-microbial salivary caries activity parameters and salivary biochemical indicators in predicting dental caries. J Indian Soc Pedod Prev Dent 2012;30(3):212-7.
13. Keukenmeester RS, Slot DE, Putt MS, Van der Weijden GA. The effect of medicated, sugar-free chewing gum on plaque and clinical parameters of gingival inflammation: A systematic review. Int J Dent Hyg 2014;12(1):2-16.
14. Hegde MN, Moany A. Remineralization of enamel subsurface lesions with casein phosphopeptide-amorphous calcium phosphate: A quantitative energy dispersive X-ray analysis using scanning electron microscopy: An in vitro study. J Conserv Dent 2012;15(1):61-7.
15. Hidaka S, Okamoto Y, Ishiyama K, Hashimoto K. Inhibition of the formation of oral calcium phosphate precipitates: The possible effects of certain honeybee products. J Periodontal Res 2008;43(4):450-8.
16. Hudnall M. Composition containing fractionated bee propolis. United States Patent. No. 7.294.351; 2007. Available from: http://www.google. com/patents/US7294351.
17. Koo H, Hayacibara MF, Schobel BD, Cury JA, Rosalen PL, Park YK, et al. Inhibition of Streptococcus mutans biofilm accumulation and polysaccharide production by apigenin and tt-farnesol. J Antimicrob Chemother 2003;52(5):782-9.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.