ANTIBACTERIAL ACTIVITY OF KARAMUNTING (RHODOMYRTUS TOMENTOSA (AITON) HASSK) LEAF EXTRACT AND FRACTIONS
Â Objective: This study was to analyze the karamunting leaf extract and fractions effectiveness against Staphylococcus aureus and Pseudomonas aeruginosa infection.
Methods: Phytochemical screening is done in the extract and fractions of karamunting leaf continue with Standard agar well diffusion method for S. aureus and P. aeruginosa. Dimethyl sulfoxide was used as negative control, and standard antibiotic Kalmicetine (chloramphenicol) was used as positive control.
Result: The ethyl acetate fraction showed the highest antibacterial activity against S. aureus and P. aeruginosa.
Conclusion: Karamunting leaf can be used to treat the bacterial infection diseases especially infection from S. aureus and P. aeruginosa.
2. Su PW, Yang CH, Yang JF, Su PY, Chuang LY. Antibacterial activities and antibacterial mechanism of Polygonum cuspidatum extracts against nosocomial drug-resistant pathogens. Molecules 2015;20:11119-30.
3. Saising J, Ongsakul M, Voravuthikunchai SP. Rhodomyrtus tomentosa (Aiton) hassk. Ethanol extract and rhodomyrtone: A potential strategy for the treatment of biofilm-forming staphylococci. J Med Microbiol 2011;60:1793-800.
4. Hamid HA, Mutazah SS, Yusoff MM. Rhodomyrtus tomentosa: A phytocemical and pharmacology review. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2017;10:10-6.
5. Limsuwan S, Hesseling-Meinders A, Voravuthikunchai SP, van Dijl JM, Kayser O. Potential antibiotic and anti-infective effects of rhodomyrtone from Rhodomyrtus tomentosa (Aiton) hassk. On Streptococcus pyogenes as revealed by proteomics. Phytomedicine 2011;18:934-40.
6. Limsuwan S, Trip EN, Kouwen TR, Piersma S, Hiranrat A, Mahabusarakam W, et al. Rhodomyrtone: A new candidate as natural antibacterial drug from Rhodomyrtus tomentosa. Phytomedicine 2009;16:645-51.
7. Jeenkeawpieam J, Phongpaichit S, Rukachaisirikul V, Sakayaroj J. Antifungal activity and molecular identification of endophytic fungi from the angiosperm Rhodomyrtus tomentosa. Afr J Biotechnol 2012;11:14007-16.
8. Wu P, Ma G, Li N, Deng Q, Yin Y, Huang R, et al. Investigation of in vitro and in vivo antioxidant activities of flavonoids rich extract from the berries of Rhodomyrtus tomentosa (Ait.) hassk. Food Chem 2015;173:194-202.
9. Tung NH, Ding Y, Choi EM, Van Kiem P, Van Minh C, Kim YH, et al. New anthracene glycosides from Rhodomyrtus tomentosa stimulate osteoblastic differentiation of MC3T3-E1 cells. Arch Pharm Res 2009;32:515-20.
10. Jeong D, Yang WS, Yang Y, Nam G, Kim JH, Yoon DH, et al. In vitro and in vivo anti-inflammatory effect of Rhodomyrtus tomentosa methanol extract. J Ethnopharmacol 2013;146:205-13.
11. Sinulingga SE. Angiogenesis Effect of Ethyl Acetate Fraction Ointment of Karamunting Leaves on Rat Wound that Infected by Bacteria. Thesis, Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Sumatera Utara; 2017. p. 1-72.
12. Ahmed D, Saeed R, Shakeel N, Fatima K, Arshad A. Antimicrobial activities of methanolic extract of Carissa opaca roots and its fractions and compounds isolated from the most active ethyl acetate fraction. Asian Pac J Trop Biomed 2015;5:541-5.
13. Depkes RI. Materia Medika. Vol. 6. Jakarta: Ditjen POM; 1995. p. 297-307.
14. Farnsworth NR. Biologycal and phytochemical screening of plants. J Pharm Sci 1996;55:225-76.
15. Harbone JB. Metode Fitokimia. Vol. 2. Bandung: ITB; 1987. p. 6, 49.
16. Princely S, Dhanaraju MD. Assesment of phytochemical constituents, in vitro antimicrobial and antioxidant of ulva extracts from Vishakhapatnam coast. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2017;10:87-95.
17. Robinson T. The Organic Constituent of High Plant. 4th ed. New York: University of Massachusetts; 1995.
18. Aguado MI, Dudik NG, Zamora CM, Torres CA, Nunez MB.Antioxidant and antibacterial activities of hydroalcoholic extracts from Aloysia polystachya griseb moldenke and Lippia turbinata Griseb (Verbenaceae). Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2016;8:393-5.
19. Shetty VG, Patil MG, Dound AS. Evaluation of phytochemical and antibacterial properties of Calotropis procera (Ait) R. Br. Leaves. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2015;7:316-9.
20. Pratiwi ST. Mikrobiologi Farmasi. Jakarta: Erlangga; 2008.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.