ANTIMUTAGENIC ACTIVITY OF BINARA HERBS (ARTEMISIA VULGARIS L.) ETHANOL EXTRACT IN MALE MICE INDUCED BY CYCLOPHOSPHAMIDE
Â Objectives: This study aims to evaluate the antimutagenic activity of binara herbs (Artemisia vulgaris L.) ethanol extract on male mice.
Methods: Binara herbs powder was extracted is used ethanol 96% by maceration, then made into a suspension preparation used 0.5% carboxymethylcellulose with 3 dose variations (100, 200, and 300 mg/kg). Further, the extract was administrated orally in mice for 7 consecutive days. 4 h after the last orally, cyclophosphamide 50 mg/kg IP was injected. 30 h after cyclophosphamide injection, the animals were killed, and the samples of bone marrow were prepared and stained with gems. For each sample, 200 cells of polychromatic erythrocytes (PCE) and the same number of normochromatic erythrocytes (NCE) and the cells containing their micronucleus (MN) were counted using the MN test method in vivo.
Results: Cyclophosphamide increased the frequency of MnPCE and decreased cell proliferation (PCE/PCE+NCE). All doses of extracts significantly reduced the frequency of MnPCE (p<0.05). The cell proliferation ratio (PCE/PCE+NCE) was also increased. The most effective dose is 300 mg/kg because it has the greatest ability to decrease the frequency of MnPCE and increase the cell proliferation ratio.
Conclusion: Results of this study indicated that binara herbs (A. vulgaris L.) ethanol extract has potent antimutagenic activity.
2. Hales BF, Barton TS, Robaire B. Impact of paternal exposure to chemotherapy on offspring in the rat. J Natl Cancer Inst 2005;34:28-31.
3. Qiu J, Hales BF, Robaire B. Damage to rat spermatozoa DNA after chronic cyclophosphamide exposure. Biol Reprod 1995;53:1465-73.
4. Kern JC, Kehrer JP. Acrolein-induced cell death: A caspase-influenced decision between apoptosis and oncosis/necrosis. Chem Biol Interact 2002;139:79-95.
5. Bergamini CM, Gambetti S, Dondi A, Cervellati C. Oxygen, reactive oxygen species and tissue damage. Curr Pharm Des 2004;10:1611-26.
6. Tan RX, Zheng WF, Tang HQ. Biologically active substances from the enus Artemisia. Plants Med 1998;64:295-302.
7. Sun WC, Han, JX, Yang WY, Deng DA, Yue XF. Antitumor activities of 4 derivatives of artemisic acid and artemisinin in vitro. Acta Pharmacol 1992;13:541-3.
8. Choi E, Park H, Lee J, Kim G. Anticancer, antiobesity, and anti inflammatory activity of artemisia species in vitro. J Tradit Chin Med 2013;33:92-7.
9. Kaban R. Uji Aktivitas Antibakteri Ekstrak Etanol Daun Binara dan Ekstrak Etanol Daun Ulam-ulam Terhadap Bakteri Staphylococcus aureus dan Escherichia coli. Skripsi. Fakultas Farmasi Universitas Sumatera Utara; 2015.
10. Bangol E, Momuat LI, Abidjulu J. Antioxidant activity the ethanol and N-Hexane extract of leaves of grass Santa Maria (Artemisia vulgaris L.) on fish oil. J Ilmiah Sains 2014;14:129 35.
11. Schmid W. The micronucleus test. Mutat Res 1975;31:9-15.
12. MÃ¼ller WU, Streffer C. Micronucleus Assay. Springer: Advances in Mutagenesis Research; 1994. p. 1-134.
13. Ditjen PO. Farmakope Indonesia. Edisi Keempat. Jakarta: Departemen Kesehatan Republik Indonesia; 1995. p. 969-971, 1033.
14. Krisna G, Hayashi M. In vivo rodent micronucleus assay: Protocol, conduct and data interpretation. Mutat Res 2000;455:155-66.
15. Aguilar-Mahecha A, Hales BF, Robaire B. Chronic cyclophosphamide treatment alters the expression of stress response genes in rat male germ cells. Biol Reprod 2002;66:1024-32.
16. Tiwari AK. Imbalance in antioxidant defense and human diseases: Multiple approach of natural antioxidant therapy. Curr. Sci 2001;81:1179-87.
17. Gamal-Eldeen AM, Abo-Zeid MA, Ahmed EF. Anti-genotoxic effect of the Sargassum dentifolium extracts: Prevention of chromosomal aberrations, micronuclei, and DNA fragmentation. Exp Toxicol Pathol 2013;65:27-34.
18. Zhang QH, Wu CF, Yang JY, Mu YH, Chen XX, Zhao YQ. Reduction of cyclophosphamide-induced DNA damage and apoptosis effects of ginsenoside Rb1 on mouse bone marrow cells and peripheral blood leukocytes. Environ Toxicol Pharmacol 2009;27:384-9.
19. Ambasta SK, Kumari S, Sinha UK. Anticlastogenicity of Tinospora cordifolia stem extract against arsenic genotoxicity in Mus musculus bone marrow erythrocytes using micronucleus assay. Int J Pharm Sci 2017;9:260-4.
20. Marco JA, Barbera O. Natural products from the genus Artemisia L. In: Atta-ur-Rahman BS, editor. Studies in Natural Products Chemistry. Vol. 7A. Amsterdam: Elsevier Science Publication; 1990. p. 201-64.
21. Irda F, Evelyne N, Komar RW. In vitro antioxidant activities, total flavanoid, phenolic and carotenoid content from various extracts of four species Asteraceae herb. Int J Pharm Sci 2015;7:192-7.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.