REVIEW ON CONVENTIONAL AND NOVEL TECHNIQUES FOR TREATMENT OF ALVEOLAR OSTEITIS
The incidence of oral infections is increased to a large extent in recent years. Alveolar osteitis (AO) commonly known as Dry Socket is one such commonly occurring complication on mandibular tooth extraction. Alveolar osteitis is mainly associated with postoperative pain inside and around the extraction site and accompanied by a partial or total disintegrated blood clot within the alveolar socket. Various conventional methods are used for management of Alveolar osteitis like gels, rinse, and medicated gauze. Use of novel methods can prove to be more effective in treatment of Alveolar osteitis since it provides local delivery of drug with sustained and controlled release, low dose thus leading to reduced side effects with a better patient compliance compared to conventional methods. This review describes the aetiology, treatment of Alveolar osteitis and the need and future scope of novel methods for treatment of Alveolar osteitis.
Keywords: Alveolar osteitis, Dry socket, mandibular tooth, medicated gauze, sustained and controlled release.
1. Parbhushankar GL. Gopalkrishna B ,Manjunatha KM,Girisha CH. Formulation and evaluation of Levofloxacin dental films for periodontitis. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2010;2:162-168.
2. Yuvraj SD, Murari LS, Kamta PN.Oral candidiasis: A review. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2010;2:36-41.
3. Bowe DC, Rogers S, Stassen LF. The management of dry socket/alveolar osteitis. J Ir Dent Assoc 2011; 57:305-310.
4. Noroozi AR, Philbert RF. Modern concepts in understanding and management of the "dry socket" syndrome: comprehensive review of the literature. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 2009; 107:30-35.
5. Parthasarathi K, Smith A, Chandu A. Factors affecting incidence of dry socket: a prospective community-based study. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2011; 69:1880-1884.
6. Cardoso CL, Rodrigues MT, Ferreira JO, Garlet GP, de Carvalho PS. Clinical concepts of dry socket. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2010; 68:1922-1932.
7. Daly B, Sharif MO, Newton T, Jones K, Worthington HV. Local interventions for the management of alveolar osteitis (dry socket). The Cochrane Library 2012; 12:1-30.
8. Kolokythas A, Olech E, Miloro M. Alveolar osteitis: a comprehensive review of concepts and controversies. Int J Dent 2010; 2010:1-10.
9. Torres-Lagares D, Serrera-Figallo MA, Romero-Ruiz MM, Infante-Cossio P, Garcia-Calderon M, Gutierrez-Perez JL. Update on dry socket: a review of the literature. Med Oral Patol Oral Cir Bucal 2005; 10:81-85.
10. Cohen ME, Simecek JW. Effects of gender-related factors on the incidence of localized alveolar osteitis. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 1995; 79:416-422.
11. Heng CK, Badner VM, Clemens DL, Mercer LT, Mercer DW. The relationship of cigarette smoking to postoperative complications from dental extractions among female inmates. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 2007; 104:757-762.
12. Tomar S. Smoking "shisha" (water pipe) or cigarettes may increase the risk for dry socket following extraction of mandibular third molars. J Evid Based Dent Pract 2005; 5:47-49.
13. Blum IR. Contemporary views on dry socket (alveolar osteitis): a clinical appraisal of standardization, aetiopathogenesis and management: a critical review. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2002; 31:309-317.
14. Fridrich KL, Olson RA. Alveolar osteitis following surgical removal of mandibular third molars. Anesth Prog 1990; 37:32-41.
15. Pitak-Arnnop P, Pausch NC. Female and older adult patients (age >/= 21 Years) had slower recovery after third-molar surgery compared with males and younger adults in a US study. J Evid Based Dent Pract 2011; 11:196-199.
16. Goldsmith SM, De Silva RK, Tong DC, Love RM. Influence of a pedicle flap design on acute postoperative sequelae after lower third molar removal. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2012; 41:371-375.
17. Sankar V, Hearnden V, Hull K, Juras DV, Greenberg MS, Kerr AR . Local drug delivery for oral mucosal diseases: challenges and opportunities. Oral Dis 2011; 17:73-84.
18. Hedstrom L, Sjogren P. Effect estimates and methodological quality of randomized controlled trials about prevention of alveolar osteitis following tooth extraction: a systematic review. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 2007; 103:8-15.
19. Torres-Lagares D, Infante-Cossio P, Gutierrez-Perez JL, Romero-Ruiz MM, Garcia-Calderon M, Serrera-Figallo MA. Intra-alveolar chlorhexidine gel for the prevention of dry socket in mandibular third molar surgery. A pilot study. Med Oral Patol Oral Cir Bucal 2006; 11:179-184.
20. Minguez-Serra MP, Salort-Llorca C, Silvestre-Donat FJ. Chlorhexidine in the prevention of dry socket: effectiveness of different dosage forms and regimens. Med Oral Patol Oral Cir Bucal 2009; 14:445-449.
21. Bonine FL. Effect of chlorhexidine rinse on the incidence of dry socket in impacted mandibular third molar extraction sites. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 1995; 79:154-157.
22. Hermesch CB, Hilton TJ, Biesbrock AR, Baker RA, Cain-Hamlin J, McClanahan SF et al. Perioperative use of 0.12% chlorhexidine gluconate for the prevention of alveolar osteitis: efficacy and risk factor analysis. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 1998; 85:381-387.
23. Bloomer CR. Alveolar osteitis prevention by immediate placement of medicated packing. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 2000; 90:282-284.
24. Gersel-Pedersen N. Tranexamic acid in alveolar sockets in the prevention of alveolitis sicca dolorosa. Int J Oral Surg 1979; 8:421-429.
25. Khorshidi KR, Pourallahverdi M, Pourallahverdi A, Ghorani KS, Ghertasi OS, Mokhtari H. Pain control following impacted third molar surgery with bupivacaine irrigation of tooth socket: a prospective study. J Dent Res Dent Clin Dent Prospects 2010; 4:105-109.
26. Colombini BL, Modena KC, Calvo AM, Sakai VT, Giglio FP, Dionisio TJ et al. Articaine and mepivacaine efficacy in postoperative analgesia for lower third molar removal: a double-blind, randomized, crossover study. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 2006; 102:169-174.
27. Kaya GS, Yapici G, Savas Z, Gungormus M. Comparison of alvogyl, SaliCept patch, and low-level laser therapy in the management of alveolar osteitis. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2011; 69:1571-1577.
28. Hooley JR, Golden DP. The effect of polylactic acid granules on the incidence of alveolar osteitis after mandibular third molar surgery. A prospective randomized study. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 1995; 80:279-283.
29. McBee WL, Koerner KR. Review of hemostatic agents used in dentistry. Dent Today 2005; 24:62-65.
30. Chiu WK, Cheung LK, Chan HC, Chow LK. A comparison of post-operative complications following wisdom tooth surgery performed with sterile or clean gloves. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2006; 35:174-179.
31. Amiya A, Neeraj S, Ankita S.Oxidized Cellulose Foam in treatment of Alveolar osteitis.Journal of Dental and Medical Sciences 2012;22:26-28.
32. Dewey G.Carter, inventor.US patent 5006071.1988 May 9.
33. Micheal D.Gould, inventor.US patent 2005/0036955 A1. 2003 Aug 13.
34. James C.Block, Gary R.Jernberg,inventors. US patent 2008/0241795 A1. 2007 Mar 26.
35. Shikha Pramanik Barman,inventor. US patent 2011/0129801 A1. 2009 Nov 27.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.