HISTOPATHOLOGICAL LIVER TISSUES OF ALLOXAN-INDUCED WISTAR RATS THAT GIVEN LAWSONIA INERMIS (LINN.) LEAVESâ€™ ETHANOLIC EXTRACT
Objectives: The aim of this research was to see the effect of Lawsonia inermis (Linn.) leaves ethanolic extract (LLEE) on liver histopathological of alloxan-induced Wistar rats.
Methods: Thirty-five of male Wistar rats grouped into five groups, i.e., K (normal) given 0.9% NaCl solution and P1â€“P4 were induced using alloxan (120 mg/kg BW) intraperitoneally. P2â€“P4 was given LLEE, i.e., 200 mg/kg BW, 400 mg/kg BW, and 600 mg/kg BW for 28 days. On 29th day, all Wistar rats of the group were sacrificed to take its liver. Histology preparation of liver by paraffin slicing method of hematoxylin-eosin staining. The observation was done under a microscope with Ã—40 and Ã—100 magnification. Observation of the liver histopathological includes changes of the central venous, sinusoid, hepatocyte morphology, and glycogen accumulation, P1â€“P4 compared to K.
Result: The results showed that in P4 group, LLEE dose 600 mg/Kg BW for 28 days able to improve liver tissues structure of alloxan-induced Wistar rats.
Conclusion: The LLEE at dose 600 mg/Kg BW effective can restore the liver destruction of alloxan-induced Wistar rats.
2. Sheikhpour R. Diabetes and oxidative stress: The mechanism and action. Iran J Diabetes Obesity 2013;5:40-5.
3. Badoni Semwal R, Semwal DK, Combrinck S, Cartwright-Jones C, Viljoen A. Lawsonia inermis L. (henna): Ethnobotanical, phytochemical and pharmacological aspects. J Ethnopharmacol 2014;155:80-103.
4. Fitrianda E, Sukandar EY, Elfahmi, Adnyana IK. Antidiabetic activity of extract, fractions, and asiaticoside compound isolated from Centella asiatica Linn. Leaves in alloxan-induced diabetic mice. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2017;10:268-72.
5. Sutrisna EM, Sahadewa FA, Ardiansyah I. Effect of ethanolic extract of Tinospora crispa L from Indonesia in alloxan induced liver damage. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2017;9:65-8.
6. Federer W. Statistics and Society: Data Collection and Interpretation. 2nd ed. New York: Marcel Dekker; 1991.
7. Chikaraddy A, Maniyar Y, Mannapur B. Hypoglycemic activity of ethanolic extract of Lawsonia inermis Linn. (Henna) in alloxan induced diabetic albino rats. Int J Pharm Biol Sci 2012;2:287-92.
8. Sari MI, Ilyas S, Widyawati T, Antika MA. Effect of Lawsonia innermis (linn) leaves ethanolic extract on blood glucose and malondialdehyde level in alloxan-induced diabetic rats. IOP Conf Ser Earth Environ Sci 2018;130:12034.
9. Chougale AD, Panaskar SN, Gurao PM, Arvindeka AU. Optimization of Alloxan Dose is Essential to Induce Stable Diabetes for Prolong Period; 2007. Available from: http://www.sciarlet.net/ fulltext/?doi=ajb2007.402.408. [Last cited on 2016 Aug 10].
10. Sari MI, Antika MA, Anggraini DR. Blood glucose levels and the microscopic structure of kidney wistar rat diabetes mellitus under the effect of Lawsonia innermis (Linn) leaves ethanolic extract. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2018;11:257-61.
11. Zimmerman HJ. Chemical hepatic injury and its detection. J Liver Toxicol 1982;25:207-36.
12. Etuk EU. Animals Models for Studying Diabetes Mellitus. Sokoto, Nigeria: Department of Pharmacology College of Health Sciences, Usmanu Danfodiyo University; 2010.
13. Rao MO, Sreenivasulu M, Chengaiah B, Reddy KJ, Chetty MC. Herbal medicines for diabetes mellitus: A review. Int J PharmTech Res 2010;2:1883-92.
14. Sari MI, Rahmat NB, Wijaya DW. Effect of Prunus dulcis extract against total cholesterol level in mice that given monosodium glutamate. IOP Conf Ser Mater Sci Eng 2017;288:12097.
15. Kumar S, Singh Y, Singh M. Agro-history, uses, ecology and distribution of Henna (Lawsonia inermis L. syn. Alba Lam). Henna: Cultivation. Improvement and Trade. Jodhpur, India: Central Arid Zone Research Institute; 2005. p. 11-2.
16. Uddin N, Siddiqui BS, Begum S, Bhatti HA, Khan A, Parveen S, et al. Bioactive flavonoids from the leaves of Lawsonia alba (Henna). Phytochem Lett 2011;4:454-8.
17. Shafi S, Tabassum N. Phytochemical screening and renal effects of ethanolic extract of Eriobotrya japonica fruits and seeds in alloxan induced diabetic rats. Int J Curr Pharm Res 2018;10:3-7.
18. Engineer AS, Pal S, Desai KR, Highland HN. Synergistic antioxidant action of Murraya koenigii and Plumeria rubra extracts enhance hepatoprotective efficacy against methotrexate induced liver injury. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2017;9:152-9.
19. Priya G. Antioxidant mediated defense role of Eclipta alba herbal extract against Ccl4 inducedtoxic hepatitis. Int J Curr Pharm Res 2018;10:29-32.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.