ARTEMISININ CONTENT ON ARTEMISIA ANNUA L. TREATED BY GLORIOSA SUPERBA SEEDS' WATER EXTRACT
Objective: The aim of this study was to determine the artemisinin content on Artemisia annua L. treated by water extract of Gloriosa superba seeds.
Methods: G. superba seeds obtained naturally on Krakal Beach, Gunung Kidul, and extraction used a maceration method by water solvent (1:1). A. annua L. sprouts were obtained from B2P2TOOT Tawangmangu. Treatment variables done on sprouts using various water extract concentration of G. superba seeds and soaking time on A. annua L. sprouts. Determination of artemisinin content in leaf extract of A. annua L. was done using KLT-densitometric method with n-hexane:ethyl acetate (4:1) as mobile phase.
Result: The result showed that artemisinin content in plant treatment of G. superba seed water extract was higher (9.78 Î¼g/Î¼l [Â±3.21]â€“16.60 Î¼g/Î¼l [Â±1.39]) compared to control plants (6.39 Î¼g/Î¼l [Â±1.40]). The concentration water extract of G. superba seed affected the level of artemisinin in the treatment plant. On the other hand, the soaking of A. annua L. sprouts using the water extract of G. superba seed did not affect the level of artemisinin content.
Conclusion: Artemisinin content in treatment plant by G. superba seed water extract treatment was higher compared to control plants.
2. Ning QL, Schuehly W, Michaela von F, Frank van der Kooy. A novel purification method of artemisinin from Artemisia annua. J Ind Crops Prod 2011;34:1088-4.
3. Ferreira FS, Laughlin JC, Delabays N, de Magalhaes PM. Cultivation and genetics of Artemisia annua L. forincrease production of the antimalarial artemisinin. Plant Gen Resour 2015;2:229-6.
4. Rantau DE, Hafiizh EA, Rahman W, Tri ME. Size and density analysis of stomata on Artemisia annua kolcisin treatment results. Proceedings of national seminar xxiii chemistry in industry and environment. Natl Sem 2014;53:52-45.
5. Haryanti S, Hastuti RB, Setiari N, Banowo A. The effect of colchicine on growth, metaphase cell size and protein content of green bean seeds (Vigna radiata (L) Wilczek). Res Sci Teknol 2009;10:120-12.
6. Banyai W, Ratchada S, Netiya K, Phithak I, Masahiro M, Kanyaratt S. Overproduction of artemisinin in tetraploid Artemisia annua L. Plant Biotechnol 2010;5:433-27.
7. Huang HP, Gao SL, Chen LL, Wei KH. In vitro tetraploid and generation of tetraploids from mixoploids in Dioscorea zingiberensis. Pharmacogn Mag 2010;21:56-1.
8. Jesus-Gonzales LD, Weathers PJ. Tetraploid Artemisia annua hairy roots produce more artemisinin than diploids. Plant Cell Rep 2003;21:813-9.
9. Osborn TC, Pires JA, Auger DL, Chen ZJ, Lee HS, Comai L, et al. Understanding mechanisms of novel gene expression in polyploids. Trends Genet 2003;19:147-1.
10. Lin X, Zhou Y, Zhang J, Lu X, Zhang F, Shen Q, et al. Enhancement of artemisinin content in tetraploid Artemisia annua plants by modulating the expression of genes in artemisinin biosynthetic pathway. Biotechnol Appl Biochem 2011;58:50-7.
11. Aty W, Uswatun K, Lidya T, Hilkatul I, Achmad FH, Indah ST. Antimalarial activity and cytotoxicity study of ethanol extract and fraction from Alectryon serratus leaves. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2015;12:253.
12. Arambewela LSR, Lakhsmi SR, Kumudini MA, Ranatunga J. Studies on Gloriosa superba grown in Sri Lanka. J Nantn Sci Coun Sri Lanka 1991;2:180-77.
13. Ernawiati E. Mutagenic effect of kembang sungsang (Gloriosa superba l. indl.) against root cell division bulbs onion Bombay. Department of biology Fmipa university of Lampung. MIPA Sci J 2002;2:132-29.
14. Pandey DK, Banik RM. Optimization of extraction conditions for colchicine from Gloriosa superba tubers using response surface methodology. J Agric Technol 2012;4:1315-1.
15. Herawati MM, Pudjihartati E, Suwijiyo, P, Endang S, Aziz P. Obtaining Artemisia cina polyploidy through plant growth regulator treatment in shoot culture. J Agrivita 2015;2:184-78.
16. Kun-Hua W, Shan-Lin G, He-Ping H. Tissue culture and generation auto-tetraploid plants of Sophora flavescens A iton. Pharmacogn Mag 2010;24:292-86.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.