LETROZOLE WITH OR WITHOUT GONADOTROPIN AS A FIRST-LINE OVULATION INDUCTION IN ANOVULATORY INFERTILE WOMEN DUE TO POLYCYSTIC OVARY SYNDROME
Objectives: The objective is to evaluate the clinical outcome of using letrozole alone or with gonadotropin as first-line ovulation induction in anovulatory infertile polycystic ovary women.
Methods: A prospective single-arm study. 80 infertile polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) women had been recruited between January and October 2017. Letrozole on day 2â€“3 of the cycle was given. The women are sorted into two groups according to the size of the dominant follicle on day 7 or 8, Group A (letrozole only group) and Group B (letrozole plus gonadotropin).
Results: In our study, the overall pregnancy rate was (67.5%) and ovulation rate was 91.3%. The ovulation rate was significantly higher in Subgroup A than B (97.9% vs. 81.3%). Pregnancy rate was higher in Subgroup A (72.9% vs. 59.4%), but it was statistically not significant. The number of follicles was significantly higher in Subgroup B. Endometrial thickness, miscarriages, ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome, and multiple pregnancies were not statistically significant. Lower cycle number independently and significantly predict clinical pregnancy, while body mass index has a modest effect.
Conclusions: Letrozole alone or in combination with gonadotropin as a first-line treatment in PCOS may be reasonable since this approach may improve the success rate and minimize the overall costs and risks.
2. Chang J, Azziz R, Legro R, Dewailly D, Franks S, Tarlatzis BC, et al. The Rotterdam ESHRE/ASRM-Sponsored PCOS Consensus Workshop Group. Revised 2003 Consensus on Diagnostic Criteria and Long-term Health Risks Related to Polycystic Ovary Syndrome[J] FertilSteril No. 0000 81 1 19 25 10.1016/j.fertnstert.2003.10.0042004; 2004. p. 19-25.
3. Legro RS, Barnhart HX, Schlaff WD, Carr BR, Diamond MP, Carson SA, et al. Clomiphene, metformin, or both for infertility in the polycystic ovary syndrome. N Engl J Med 2007;356:551-66.
4. Kamphuis EI, Bhattacharya S, van der Veen F, Mol BW, Templeton A. Are we overusing IVF? BMJ 2014;348:g252.
5. Steimbach LM, LouÃ§Ã£o AD, Carraro CB, Tonin FS, Pontarolo R, Sanches AC. Metformin usage to induce ovulation in women with polycystic ovary syndrome: A meta-analysis. Int J Pharm PharmSci 2016;8:86-9.
6. Thessaloniki ESHRE/ASRM-Sponsored PCOS Consensus Workshop Group. Consensus on infertility treatment related to polycystic ovary syndrome. Hum Reprod 2008;23:462-77.
7. Paul CB, Sudandiradoss C. Aromatase inhibitors-types and advantages. Int J Pharm PharmSci 2016;8:1-7.
8. Biljan MM, Hemmings R, Brassard N. The outcome of 150 babies following the treatment with letrozole or letrozole and gonadotropins. Fertil Steril 2005;84:S95.
9. Legro RS, Kunselman AR, Brzyski RG, Casson PR, Diamond MP, Schlaff WD, et al. The pregnancy in polycystic ovary syndrome II (PPCOS II) trial: Rationale and design of a double-blind randomized trial of clomiphene citrate and letrozole for the treatment of infertility in women with polycystic ovary syndrome. Contemp Clin Trials 2012;33:470-81.
10. Herman A, Ron-El R, Golan A, Soffer Y, Bukovsky I, Caspi E. Overstimulated cycles under low-dose gonadotrophins in patients with polycystic ovary syndrome: Characterization and management. Hum Reprod 1993;8:30-4.
11. Ghanem ME, Elboghdady LA, Hassan M, Helal AS, Gibreel A, Houssen M, et al. Clomiphene citrate co-treatment with low dose urinary FSH versus urinary FSH for clomiphene-resistant PCOS: Randomized controlled trial. J Assist Reprod Genet 2013;30:1477-85.
12. Healey S, Tan SL, Tulandi T, Biljan MM. Effects of letrozole on superovulation with gonadotropins in women undergoing intrauterine insemination. Fertil Steril 2003;80:1325-9.
13. Mitwally MF, Casper RF. Aromatase inhibition reduces gonadotrophin dose required for controlled ovarian stimulation in women with unexplained infertility. Hum Reprod 2003;18:1588-97.
14. Sarhan A, Beydoun H, Jones HW Jr., Bocca S, Oehninger S, Stadtmauer L. Gonadotrophin ovulation induction and enhancement outcomes: Analysis of more than 1400 cycles. Reprod BioMed Online 2011;23:220-6.
15. Bedaiwy MA, Mousa NA, Esfandiari N, Forman R, Casper RF. Follicular Phase dynamics with combined aromatase inhibitor and follicle stimulating hormone treatment. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2007;92:825-33.
16. Franik S, Kremer JA, Nelen WL, Farquhar C. Aromatase inhibitors for subfertile women with polycystic ovary syndrome. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2014;2014:Cd010287.
17. Brown J, Farquhar C. Clomiphene and other antioestrogens for ovulation induction in polycystic ovarian syndrome. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2016;12:Cd002249.
18. Xi W, Liu S, Mao H, Yang Y, Xue X, Lu X. Use of letrozole and clomiphene citrate combined with gonadotropins in clomiphene-resistant infertile women with polycystic ovary syndrome: A prospective study. Drug Des Dev Ther 2015;9:6001-8.
19. Malhotra N, Karmakar D, Kumar S. Letrozole alone or letrozole gonadotropin combination as the first line for superovulation in women with unexplained infertility undergoing intrauterine insemination (IUI): A prospective randomized trial. Fertil Steril 2012;98:S258.
20. Arya S, Kupesic-Plavsic S, Mulla ZD, Dwivedi AK, Crisp Z, Jose J, et al. Ovulation induction and controlled ovarian stimulation using letrozole gonadotropin combination: A single-centre retrospective cohort study. Eur J Obstetr Gynecol Reprod Biol 2017;218:123-8.
21. Badawy A, Abdel Aal I, Abulatta M. Clomiphene citrate or letrozole for ovulation induction in women with polycystic ovarian syndrome: A prospective randomized trial. Fertil Steril 2009;92:849-52.
22. Polyzos NP, Tzioras S, Badawy AM, Valachis A, Dritsas C, Mauri D. Aromatase inhibitors for female infertility: A systematic review of the literature. Reprod Biomed Online 2009;19:456-71.
23. Streda R, Mardesic T, Sobotka V, Koryntova D, Hybnerova L, Jindra M. Comparison of different starting gonadotropin doses (50, 75 and 100 IU daily) for ovulation induction combined with intrauterine insemination. Arch Gynecol Obstetr 2012;286:1055-9.
24. Akbari S, Roozbahani MA, Roozbahani FA. Comparing of letrozole versus clomiphene citrate combined with gonadotropins in intrauterine insemination cycles. Iran J Reprod Med 2012;10:29-32.
25. Pourali L, Ayati S, Tavakolizadeh S, Soleimani H, Sani FT. Clomiphene citrate versus letrozole with gonadotropins in intrauterine insemination cycles: A randomized trial. Int J Reprod Biomed 2017;15:49-54.
26. Chaudhary K, Suri V, Dhaliwal L, Gainder S. Comparison of the efficacy of letrozole and low-dose gonadotropin combination with clomiphene and low-dose gonadotropin combination as a controlled ovarian stimulation regime prior to intrauterine insemination in patients with unexplained infertility. Fertil Sci Res 2014;1:98-103.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.