PREVALENCE AND RISK FACTORS OF VITAMIN B12 DEFICIENCY AMONG PATIENTS WITH TYPE II DIABETES ON METFORMIN: A STUDY FROM NORTHERN REGION OF UNITED ARAB EMIRATES
Objectives: This study focused on the prevalence of Vitamin B12 deficiency in UAE patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus (T2DM) who were treated with or without metformin.
Methods: A cross-sectional study was conducted on 213 patients having diabetes type II were randomly selected to be part of the study in Northern Regions of the UAE, from June 2014 to February 2015. The patients aged >45 years and who had taken metformin for at least 3 months were recruited with regular follow-up at the outpatient clinic. The patients were included in a survey after which they had their serum B12 levels measured. Serum B12 levels <150 pg/ml are defined as the B12 deficiency.
Results: About 48% of diabetic patients had confirmed the B12 insufficiency through laboratory tests. The patients on metformin had statistically lower values of B12 (p=0.002). The majority of participants n (%) took metformin had neuropathy, hypertension, dyslipidemia, numbness or paresthesia, and depression, or mood changes 140 (70%), 183 (91.5%), 134 (67%), 136 (68%), 161 (80.5%), and 120 (60%), respectively.
Conclusion: Our study shows that for the patients with T2DM, long-term treatment with metformin is associated with higher chances of developing Vitamin B12 deficiency. Clinicians should, therefore, recognize this significant element and should screen diabetics who are on metformin treatment for any B12 insufficiency, which may be hidden, especially patients coming with neurologic symptoms.
2. Dareen A, Abduelmula A, Moyad S, Monzer S. Evaluation of factors associated with inadequate glycemic control and some other health care indicators among patients with Type 2 diabetes in Ramallah, Palestine. Res J Pharm Biol Chem Sci 2013;4:445-51.
3. Oh R, Brown DL. Vitamin B12 deficiency. Am Fam Physician 2003;67:979-86.
4. Stowers JM, Smith OA. Vitamin-B12 and metformin. BMJ 1971;3:246-7.
5. Calvo Romero JM, Ramiro Lozano JM. Vitamin B(12) in Type 2 diabetic patients treated with metformin. Endocrinol Nutr 2012;59:487-90.
6. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: National Diabetes Statistics Report: Estimates of Diabetes and its Burden in the United States; 2017. Available from: https://www.cdc.gov/diabetes/pdfs/data/ statistics/national-diabetes-statistics-report.pdf. [Last accessed on 2018 Jan 10]
7. Reinstatler L, Qi YP, Williamson RS, Garn JV, Oakley GP Jr. Association of biochemical Bâ‚â‚‚ deficiency with metformin therapy and vitamin Bâ‚â‚‚ supplements: The national health and nutrition examination survey, 1999-2006. Diabetes Care 2012;35:327-33.
8. Nervo M, Lubini A, Raimundo FV, Faulhaber GA, Leite C, Fischer LM, et al. Vitamin B12 in metformin-treated diabetic patients: A cross-sectional study in Brazil. Rev Assoc Med Bras (1992) 2011;57:46-9.
9. Diamanti-Kandarakis E, Christakou CD, Kandaraki E, Economou FN. Metformin: An old medication of new fashion: Evolving new molecular mechanisms and clinical implications in polycystic ovary syndrome. Eur J Endocrinol 2010;162:193-212.
10. Lineo M, Masia T, Binyane K, Ramathebane M. Assessment of patient counselling in diabetic and hypertensive patients in terms of patient knowledge about their medication, disease state and lifestyle modifications by pharmacy personnel at ldf clinic in Maseru. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2018;10:155-61.
11. de Jager J, Kooy A, Lehert P, WulffelÃ© MG, van der Kolk J, Bets D, et al. Long term treatment with metformin in patients with Type 2 diabetes and risk of vitamin B-12 deficiency: Randomised placebo controlled trial. BMJ 2010;340:c2181.
12. American Association for Clinical Chemistry. Vitamin B12 and Folate Deficiency. Available from: https://www.labtestsonline.org/conditions/ vitamin-b12-and-folate-deficiencies. [Last updated on 2015; Last cited on 2017 10].
13. Jayesh BD, Snehal NM, Archana RJ. Diabetic nephropathyâ€“genesis, prevention and treatment. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2014;S1:42-7.
14. Tomkin GH, Hadden DR, Weaver JA, Montgomery DA. Vitamin-B12 status of patients on long-term metformin therapy. Br Med J 1971;2:685-7.
15. Tomkin GH. Metformin and B12 malabsorption. Ann Intern Med 1972;76:668.
16. Pflipsen M, Oh R, Saguil A, Seehusen D, Topolski R. The prevalence of vitamin B12 deficiency in patients with Type 2 diabetes: A cross-sectional study. J Am Board Fam Med 2009;22:528-34.
17. Qureshi SA, Ainsworth A, Winocour PH. Metformin therapy and assessment for vitamin B12 deficiency: Is it necessary. Pract Diabetes 2011;28:302-4.
18. Ting R, Szeto C, Chan M, Ma K, Chow K. Risk Factors of vitamin B12 deficiency in patients receiving metformin. Arch Intern Med 206;166:1975-9.
19. Khan MA, Wakefield GS, Pugh DW. Vitamin B12 deficiency and diabetic neuropathy. Lancet 1969;2:768-70.
20. Yaqub B, Siddique A, Sulimani R. Effects of methylcobalamin on diabetic neuropathy. Clin Neurol Neurosurg 1992;94:105-11.
21. Pennypacker LC, Allen RH, Kelly JP, Matthews LM, Grigsby J, Kaye K, et al. High prevalence of cobalamin deficiency in elderly populations. J Am Geriatr Soc 1992;40:1197-204.
22. Lindenbaum J, Rosenberg IH, Wilson P, Stabler SP, Allen RH. Prevalence of cobalamin deficiency in the Framingham elderly population. Am J Clin Nutr 1994;60:2-11.
23. Johnson MA, Hawthorne NA, Brackett WR. Hyperhomocysteinemia and vitamin B12 deficiency in elderly using Title IIIc nutrition services. Am J Clin Nutr 2003;77:211-20.
24. Filioussi K, Bonovas S, Katsaros T. Should we screen diabetic patients using biguanides for megaloblastic anemia. Aust Fam Phys 2003;32:383-4.
25. Pongchaidecha M, Srikusalanukul V, Chattananon A, Tanjariyaporn S. Effect of metformin on plasma homocysteine, vitamin B12 and folic acid: A cross-sectional study in patients with Type 2 diabetes mellitus. J Med Assoc Thai 2004;87:780-7.
26. DeFronzo RA, Goodman AM. Efficacy of metformin in patients with non-insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus. The multicenter metformin study group. N Engl J Med 1995;333:541-9.
27. American Diabetes Association Position Statement. Standards of medical care in diabetes. Diabetes Care 2012;35:S11-63.
28. Ting RZ, Szeto CC, Chan MH, Ma KK, Chow KM. Risk factors of vitamin B12 deficiency in patients receiving metformin. Arch Intern Med 2006;166:1975-80.
29. Stabler SP. Screening the older population for cobalamin (Vitamin B12) deficiency. J Am Geriatr Soc 1995;43:1290-7.
30. Hvas AM, Nexo E. Diagnosis and treatment of vitamin B12 deficiencyâ€” an update. Hematological 2006;91:1506-151.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.