IMPRESSION CYTOLOGY OF TARSAL CONJUNCTIVA IN LONG-STANDING OCULAR PROSTHESIS WEARERS: CASE REPORTS
Impression cytology is a simple technique that can be used to identify patients who are at risk of developing ocular surface disorders. Giant papillary conjunctivitis (GPC) is an allergic reaction affecting the ocular tarsal conjunctiva predominantly associated with contact lens wear and also observed in anophthalmic patients wearing ocular prosthesis. Here, we described the outcomes of using impression cytology technique in diagnosing GPC in two long-standing ocular prosthesis wearers.
2. Egbert PR, Lauber S, Maurice DM. A simple conjunctival biopsy. Am J Ophthal 1977;84:798-801.
3. Chang WJ, Tse DT, Rosa RH, Huang A, Johnson TE, Schiffman J. Conjunctival cytology features of giant papillary conjunctivitis associated with ocular prostheses. Ophthal Plast Reconstr Surg 2005;21:39-45.
4. Doughty MJ. Contact lens wear and the development of squamous metaplasia of the surface cells of the conjunctiva. Eye Contact Lens 2011;37:274-81.
5. Takamura E, Uchio E, Ebihara N, Ohno S, Ohashi Y, Okamoto S, et al. Japanese guidelines for allergic conjunctival disease 2017. Allergol Int 2017;66:220-9.
6. Bielory L. Allergic and immunologic disorders of the eye. Part II: Ocular allergy. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2000;106:1019-32.
7. Bozkurt B, Akyurek N, Irkec M, Akyurek N, Irkec M, Erdener U, et al. Immunohistochemical findings in prosthesis-associated giant papillary conjunctivitis. Clin Exp Ophthal 2007;35:535-40.
8. Srinivasan BD, Jakobiec FA, Iamoto T, De Voe AG. Giant papillary conjunctivitis with ocular prostheses. Arch Ophthalmol 1979;97:892-5.
9. Satyam SM, Adiga S, Chogtu B, Bairy KL, Pirasantahn R, Vaishnav RL. Effect of fucithalmic and sofinox eye drops on experimental allergic conjunctivitis in rats. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2014;6:458-60.
10. Ishak B, Mohd-Ali B, Mohidin N. Grading of tarsal conjunctiva of young adults in Malaysia. Clin Exp Optom 2011;94:458-63.
11. Spring TF. Reaction to hydrophilic lenses. Med J Aust 1974;1:499-500.
12. Yeniad B, Yakubi SA, Bilgin LK, Adam YS, GÃ¶zÃ¼m N. Effect of 30- day continuous wear of silicone hydrogel contact lenses on corneal thickness. Eye Contact Lens 2004;30:6-9.
13. Donshik PC. Extended wear contact lenses. Ophthalmol Clin N Am 2003;16:305-9.
14. Sun YJ, Sang YL, Jin SY. Meibomian gland dysfunction in longstanding prosthetic eye wearers. Br J Ophthalmol 2013;97:398-402.
15. Tseng SC. Staging of conjunctival squamous metaplasia by impression cytology. Ophthalmology 1985;92:728-33.
16. McKelvie, P. Ocular surface impression cytology. Adv Anat Pathol 2003;10:328-37.
17. Gupta M, Dahiya I, Marwaha RK, Dureja H. Therapies in cancer treatment: An overview. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2015;7:1-9.
18. Kim JH, Lee MJ, Choung H, Kim NJ, Hwang SW, Sung MS, et al. Cytologic features in anophthalmic patients wearing an ocular prosthesis. Ophthal Plastic Reconstr Surg 2008;24:290-5.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.