DEVELOPMENT AND EVALUATION OF NANOEMULSION AS A CARRIER FOR TOPICAL DELIVERY SYSTEM BY BOX-BEHNKEN DESIGN
Objective: The aim of this study was to develop a nanoemulsion for topical delivery.
Methods: Topical nanoemulsion was prepared by homogenization method. Box-behnken design was utilized to study the effect of oil, surfactant and Co-surfactant, on droplet size, entrapment efficiency and drug release. Nabumetone a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug was incorporated in castor oil with Tween 80 and Polyethylene glycol 600 to form the nanoemulsion by homogenization method. The nanoemulsion was further subjected to different evaluation parameters and ex-vivo study. The crystalline nature of drug was confirmed by powder X-ray diffraction studies. Drug-excipient compatibility was confirmed by Fourier transform infrared (FTIR) spectroscopy, differential scanning calorimetry (DSC), respectively.
Results: The average globule size of nabumetone-containing nanoemulsion decreased with decrease in concentration of oil and surfactant. Nanoemulsion was evaluated by pH, rheology, globule size, zeta potential, scanning electron microscopy, DSC, FTIR spectroscopy, and stability. In vitro drug release shows maximum 84.35% permeation rate through cellophane membrane and ex-vivo drug release shows 86.32% permeation rate through goat skin.
Conclusion: Thus, the nanoemulsion formulated showed good results regarding topical delivery.
2. Jaiswal M, Dudhe R, Sharma PK. Nanoemulsion: An advanced mode of drug delivery system. Biotech 2015;5:123-7.
3. Lovelyn C, Attama AA. Current state of nanoemulsion in drug delivery. J Biomater Nanotechnol 2011;10:626-39.
4. More A, Ambekar AW. Development and characterization of nanoemulsion gel for topical drug delivery of nabumetone. Int J Pharm Pharm Res 2016;7:126-57.
5. Sugumar S, Mukherjee A, Chandrasekaran N. Nanoemulsion formation and characterization by spontaneous emulsification: Investigation of its antibacterial effects on listeria monocytogenes. Asian J Pharm 2015;23:23-8.
6. Modi JD, Patel JK. Enhancement of transdermal based gel delivery of aceclofenac using nanoemulsion as a vehicle. J Pharm Res 2012;5:214 8.
7. Kavitha K, Kanagathara N. Optimization and solubilisation study of novel nanoemulsion formulation for 5-fluorouracil by applying pseudoternary phase diagram. Asian J Pharm and Clin Res 2014;7:137 9.
8. Singh BP, Kumar B, Jain SK, Shafaat K. Development and characterization of a nanoemulsion gel formulation for transdermal delivery of carvedilol. Int J Drug Dev Res 2012;4:151-61.
9. Aparna C, Srinivas P, Patnaik K. Enhanced transdermal permeability of telmisartan by a novel nanoemulsion gel. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2015;7:335-42.
10. Sisinthy SP, Rao NK, Sarah CY. Design, optimization and in vitro characterization of self nano emulsifying drug delivery system of Olmesartan medoxomil. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2017;9:94-101.
11. Lala RR, Awari NG. Nanoemulsion-based gel formulations of COX- 2 inhibitors for enhanced efficacy in inflammatory conditions. Appl Nanosci 2014;4:143-51.
12. Malgope A, Murthy PN, Ramani R, Dey S. Development of nanoemulsion as carrier for transdermal delivery of valsartan. Int J Pharm Chem Sci 2013;2:1655-65.
13. Soheyla H, Foruhe Z. Effect of zeta potential on the properties of nano-drug delivery systems-a review (Part 1). Trop J Pharm Res 2013;12:255 64.
14. Rodriguez SG, Allemann E, Fessi H, Doelker E. Physicochemical parameters associated with nanoparticle formation in the salting-out, emulsification-diffusion, and nanoprecipitation methods. Pharm Res 2004;21:1428-39.
15. Patil SS, Mohite SK. Development and evaluation of solid dispersion incorporated topical gel of nabumetone. Res J Pharm Tech 2014;7:1413 9.
16. Patel MR, Patel MH, Patel RB. Preparation and in vitro/ex vivo evaluation of nanoemulsion for transnasal delivery of paliperidone. Appl Nanosci 2016;6:1095-1104.
17. Patel HC, Parmar GR, Seth AK, Patel JD, Patel SR. Formulation and evaluation of o/w nanoemulsion of ketoconazole. Am Int J Pharm Sci 2013;4:338-51.
18. Teixeira MC, Severino P, Andreani T, Boonme P, Santini A, Silva AM. D-a-tocopherol nanoemulsions: Size properties, rheological behavior, surface tension, osmolarity and cytotoxicity. Saudi Pharm J 2017;25:231-5.
19. Affandi MM, Julianto T, Majeed BA. Development and stability evaluation of astaxanthin nanoemulsion. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2011;4:142-8.
20. Borges VR, Simon A, Sena AR, Cabrel LM. Nanoemulsion containing dapsone for topical administration: A study of in vitro release and epidermal permeation. Int J Nanomed 2013;8:535-44.
21. Setya S, Talegaonkar S, Razdan BK. Nanoemulsions: Formulation methods and stability aspects. World J Pharm Pharm Sci 2014;3:2214 28.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.