COMBINED USE OF VIDEO LARYNGOSCOPY AND FIBEROPTIC FOR AIRWAY MANAGEMENT IN A PATIENT WITH FIXED CERVICAL SPINE
Airway management may be difficult in patients with fixed cervical spine who have undergone previous spine surgery. Among the various techniques, fiber-optic intubation is a preferred method for securing the airway in such situation. However, it has some limitations also like identification of landmarks, especially in a case of distorted anatomy of the airway. To overcome this inadequacy, we used video laryngoscopy as a complement, to guide the tip of bronchoscope beneath the epiglottis into the trachea and thus achieving the goal. We present a case of difficult airway of fixed cervical spine with distorted anatomy in which combined use of fiberoptic and video laryngoscopy was performed to secure the airway. In our opinion, this technique can be utilized for other difficult airway case scenario also.
2. Manninen PH, Jose GB, Lukitto K, Venkatraghavan L, El Beheiry H. Management of the airway in patients undergoing cervical spine surgery. J Neurosurg Anesthesiol 2007;19:190-4.
3. Jeffery LA, Carin AH, Robert AC. Practice guidelines for management of the difficult airway: An updated report by the American society of anesthesiologists task force on management of the difficult airway. Anesthesiology 2013;118:1-20.
4. Johnson DM, From AM, Smith RB, From RP, Maktabi MA. Endoscopic study of mechanisms of failure of endotracheal tube advancement into the trachea during awake fiberoptic orotracheal intubation. Anesthesiology 2005;102:910-4.
5. Gupta N, Pandia MP, Prabhakar H, Chauhan M. Video laryngoscopy added fiberoptic intubation in a patient with difficult airway. J Anaesthesiol Clin Pharmacol 2013;29:283-4
6. Hariharan U, Ganguly N, Sood J, Shastri P. Airway management of fixed cervical spine undergoing transoral odontoidectomy: A novel technique. Curr Med Res Pract 2014;4:171-3.
7. Senapati LK, Samanta P. Effect of dexmedetomidine on dose requirement of propofol and thiopentone induction in patients under general endotracheal anesthesia. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2018;11:262-5.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.