ANTICONVULSANT ACTIVITY OF RAUWOLFIA TETRAPHYLLA LEAF EXTRACT IN SWISS ALBINO MICE
Objective: Rauvolfia tetraphylla is a plant potentially applicable in Ayurvedic and Unani System of Medicine for the treatment of various diseases. However, the anticonvulsant activity of this plant has not been reported and studied. Therefore, the ethanolic extract of leaf from the plant R. tetraphylla is used to evaluate anticonvulsant activity.
Methods: Anticonvulsant activity was screened using maximal electroshock seizure (MES) model and pentylenetetrazole (PTZ)-induced seizure model in Swiss albino mice. The ethanolic extract was also evaluated for rutin and gallic acid content by high-performance thin-layer chromatography studies.
Results: Rutin and gallic acid contents were found as 15.60% and 7.81%, respectively. Ethanolic leaf extract (100–800 mg/kg) significantly reduced the duration of seizures which was induced by MES. The same doses also protected animals from PTZ-induced tonic seizures.
Conclusion: The study demonstrates that R. tetraphylla plant leaves have significant anticonvulsant activity.
2. Amabeoku GJ, Chikuni O. Cimetidine–induced seizures in mice. Biochem Pharmacol 1993;46:2171-5.
3. White HS. Preclinical development of antiepileptic drugs: Past present and future direction. Epilepsia 2003;44:2-8.
4. Koche D, Shirsat R, Imran S, Bhadange DG. Phytochemical screening of eight traditionally used ethno medicinal plants from Akola district (MS) India. Int J Pharm Bio Sci 2010;1:253-56.
5. Vezzani A, French J, Bartfai T, Baram TZ. The role of inflammation in epilepsy. Nat Rev Neurol 2011;7:31-40.
6. Iqbal AA, Khan FA, Khan M. Ethno-phyto-pharmacological overview on Rauwolfia tetraphylla L. Int J Pharm Phytopharm Res 2013;2:247-51.
7. Doshi GM, Zine SP, Chaskar PK, Une HD. Solicitation of HPLC and HPTLC techniques for determination of Rutin from Polyalthia longifolia Thwaites. Pharmacogn Res 2014;6:234-9.
8. Nirmala D. Studies on anticonvulsant activity of annacyclus pyrethrum in albino mice. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2015;8:178-87.
9. Thakuria N, Das S, Dewan B. Anticonvulsant activity of citrus maximus leaves in experimental animal models. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2016;9:1-3.
10. Jakaria MD, Tareq SM, Ibrahim M, Bokhtearuddin S, Rauvolfiatetraphylla L. (Apocynaceae): A pharmacognostical, phytochemical and pharmacological review. J Chem Pharm Res 2016;8:114-20.
11. Gurupriya S, Cathrine L, Pratheema P. HPTLC method for the determination of lupeol from Andrographis echioides leaves. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2018;10:102-7.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.