ACACIA SENEGAL BARK EXTRACT IN REGULATION OF HYPOTHYROIDISM: AN EXPERIMENTAL APPROACH
Objective: The objective of the present study was to evaluate the thyroid hormone stimulating efficacy of Acacia senegal (Gum Arabic) bark extract in 6-n-propyl-2-thiouracil (PTU)-induced hypothyroid albino rats.
Methods: Ethanolic extract of A. senegal bark was given to PTU-induced hypothyroid albino rats at the dose of 500 mg/kg body weight. The animals were divided into control, PTU, and A. senegal bark extract treated and standard drug Eltroxin-treated groups for 60-day experimentation. The serum thyroxin levels, organâ€™s weight, and serum biochemistry were carried out.
Results: Oral administration of A. senegal bark extract caused a highly significant increase (pâ‰¤0.001) in serum triiodothyronine (T3) and tetraiodothyronine (T4), and significant changes were also observed in organâ€™s weight with biochemical parameters as compared to hypothyroid albino rats and results were approximate to the standard drug Eltroxin.
Conclusion: These results evaluate that ethanolic extract of A. senegal bark helps to compensate or increases the serum thyroxin level in management of hypothyroidism.
2. Swathi N, Kumar VV, Farjana M, Vishnuvardhan M, Munendra G, Kumar VA. Prospective observational study on prevalence of hypothyroidism in a tertiary care teaching hospital. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2018;10:186-91.
3. Veni KD, Kundoor N, Bashetti S, Rayaprolu P. Altered lipid profile in hypothyroidism: A biochemical viewpoint. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2018;11:64-9.
4. Nila KM, Mekhana VD, Nair SR. Anxiety, depression, and self-care management among patients with hypothyroidism. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2018;11:337-40.
5. Hebbar S, Kumar S, Amin S, Doizode S. Subclinical hypothyroidism in pregnancy; Is there a need for pharmacological intervention? Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2017;9:186-91.
6. Khalawi AA, Al-Robai AA, Khoja SM, Ali SS. Can Nigella sativa oil (NSO) reverse hypothyroid status induced by PTU in rat? Biochemical and histological studies. Life Sci J 2013;10:802-11.
7. Ram H, Jatwa R, Purohit A. Anti athrosclerotic and cardio protective potentials of Acacia senegal seed in diet induced atherosclerosis in rabbits. Biochem Res Int 2014;2014:6.
8. Marwah RG, Fatope MO, Mahrooqi RA, Verma GB, Abadi HA, Al-Burtamani SK. Antioxidant capacity of some edible and wound healing plants in Oman. Food Chem 2007;101:465-70.
9. Alsadeg MA, Koko WS, El-badri E, Kabbashi AS, Dahab MM, Garbi MI, et al. In vitro anthelminthic activity of the methanol stem bark extract of Acacia senegal against Fasciola gigantica. Int Invent J Biochem Bioinformatics 2015;3:18-22.
10. Batra S, Batra N, Nagori BP. Preliminary phytochemical studies and evaluation of anti-diabetic activity of stem bark of Acacia Senegal (L.) wild.in alloxan induced diabetic albino rats. Am J Phytomed Clin Ther 2013;1:611-16.
11. Sandro VD, Chevrier M, Boddaert A, Melcion C, Cordier A, Richert L. Comparison of the effects of propylthiouracil, amiodarone, diphenylhydantoin, phenobarbital and 3-methylcholathrene on hepatic and renal T4 metabolism and thyroid gland function in rats. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 1991;111:263-78.
12. Richards JB, Ingbar SH. The effects of propylthiouracil and perchlorate on the biogenesis of thyroid hormone. Endocrinology 1959;65:198-207.
13. Oppenheimer JH, Sahwariz HL, Martin SI. Propylthiouracil inhibits the conversion of L-thyroxin to L-Triiodothyronine. J Clin Invest 1972;51:2493-7.
14. Tewthanom K, Jongjaroenprasert W. The pharmacokinetics of 2 doses (50 Î¼G and 100 Î¼G) levothyroxine treatment in athyreotic patients. Int J App Pharm 2016;8:66-8.
15. Mandel SJ, Brent GA, Larsen PR. Levothyroxine therapy in patients with thyroid disease. Ann Intern Med 1993;119:492-502.
16. Woeber KA. Levothyroxine therapy and serum free thyroxine and free triiodothyronine concentrations. J Endocrinol Invest 2002;25:106-9.
17. Panda S, Kar A. Guggulu (Commiphora mukul) potentially ameliorates hypothyroidism in female mice. Phytother Res 2005;19:78-80.
18. Panda S, Kar A. Changes in thyroid hormone concentrations after administration of Ashwagandha root extract to adult male mice. J Pharm Pharmacol 1998;50:1065-8.
19. Panda S, Kar A. Withania sominifera and Bauhinia purpurea in the regulation of circulating thyroid hormone concentration in female mice. J Ethnopharmacol 1999;67:233-9.
20. Tahiliani P, Kar A. Achyranthes aspera elevates thyroid hormone levels and decreases hepatic lipid peroxidation in male rats. J Ethanopharmacol 2000;71:527-32.
21. Kar A, Panda S, Bharti S. Relative efficacy of three medicinal plant extract in the alteration of thyroid hormone concentrations in male mice. J Ethanopharmacol 2002;81:281-5.
22. Saxena V, Dharmveer, Gupta R, Shubhini AS. Ficus carica leaf extract in regulation of hypothyroidism using elisa technique. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2012;5:44-8.
23. Adewusi EA, Afolayan AJ. A review of natural product with hepatoprotective activity. J Med plant Res 2010;4:1318-34.
24. Seif MM, Farid OA, Aboulthana WM. Evalution of the protective effect of Acacia senegal extract against di-(2-ethylhexyl phthalate) induced hepato-and neurotoxicity in rats. Ann Res Rev Bio 2017;19:1-17.
25. Okoro SO, Kawo AH, Arzai AH. Phytochemical screening, antibacterial and toxicological activities of Acacia senegal extracts. Bayero J Pure Appl Sci 2012;5:163-70.
26. Hamann I, Seidlova-Wuttke D, Wuttke W, Kohrle J. Effects of iso flavonoids and other plant-derived compound on the hypothalamus-pituitary-thyroid hormone axis. Maturitas 2006;55:14-25.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.