ENDOCRINOLOGICAL ROLE OF LEPTIN IN OBESITY AND ASTHMA
Objective: Role of leptin resistance in correlation between obesity and asthma.
Methods: High-caloric diet was given for 8 weeks to induce obesity. Ovalbumin followed by aluminum hydroxide was given to induce asthma. The animal was treated with leptin analog (0.4 mg/kg, i.p. for 7 days) and leptin antagonist (3 mg/kg, p.o., for 7 days). Biochemical parameters such as serum leptin, ghrelin, and tumor necrosis factor alpha (TNF-α) and physical parameters such as tidal volume and airflow rate were estimated to confirm the state of asthma and obesity, respectively.
Results: It was found that leptin and ghrelin were elevated in obese and obese asthmatic condition, responsible for leptin resistance. Treatment with leptin analog and leptin antagonist significantly increases and decreases serum leptin levels, respectively. There was no significant change in TNF-α and ghrelin level after leptin analog treatment. The result of respiratory parameters improved with leptin analog. From our study, we found beneficial role of leptin analog in obese asthmatic condition.
Conclusion: Leptin is an alternative treatment approach to treat obese asthmatic condition.
2. Mani KB, Manjula S, Sunil KR. Obesity: Development, epidemiology, factors affecting, quantity, health hazards, management and natural treatment-a review. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2015;9:12-26.
3. Myers MG Jr., Leibel RL, Seeley RJ, Schwartz MW. Obesity and leptin resistance: Distinguishing cause from effect. Trends Endocrinol Metab 2010;21:643-51.
4. Goodpaster BH, Krishnaswami S, Harris TB, Katsiaras A, Kritchevsky SB, Simonsick EM, et al. Obesity, regional body fat distribution, and the metabolic syndrome in older men and women. Arch Intern Med 2005;165:777-83.
5. Wood LG, Gibson PG. Dietary factors lead to innate immune activation in asthma. Pharmacol Ther 2009;123:37-53.
6. Boulet LP. Asthma and obesity. Clin Exp Allergy 2013;43:8-21.
7. Ankur G, Randhir S. Antiobesity activity of ethanolic extract of Cassia auriculata in high fat diet induced obese rats. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2015;7:237-43.
8. Bateman ED, Hurd SS, Barnes PJ, Bousquet J, Drazen JM, FitzGerald JM, et al. Global strategy for asthma management and prevention: GINA executive summary. Eur Respir J 2008;31:143-78.
9. Cynthia WB, Daniel EW, Fernando H. Asthma and obesity: Mechanisms and clinical implications. J Asthma 2015;1:1-7.
10. Uchida A, Zechner JF, Mani BK, Park WM, Aguirre V, Zigman JM, et al. Altered ghrelin secretion in mice in response to diet-induced obesity and roux-en-Y gastric bypass. Mol Metab 2014;3:717-30.
11. Arteaga-Solis E, Zee T, Emala CW, Vinson C, Wess J, Karsenty G, et al. Inhibition of leptin regulation of parasympathetic signaling as a cause of extreme body weight-associated asthma. Cell Metab 2013;17:35-48.
12. Sood A, Stephanie AS. Adiponectin, leptin, and resistin in asthma: Basic mechanisms through population studies. J. Allergy 2013;1:785-835.
13. Martin SS, Qasim A, Reilly MP. Leptin resistance: A possible interface of inflammation and metabolism in obesity-related cardiovascular disease. J Am Coll Cardiol 2008;52:1201-10.
14. Canöz M, Erdenen F, Uzun H, Müderrisoglu C, Aydin S. The relationship of inflammatory cytokines with asthma and obesity. ClinInvest Med 2008;31:E373-9.
15. Patel KN, Chorawala MR. Animal models of asthma. J Pharm Res Opin 2011;1;139-47.
16. van Herpen NA, Schrauwen-Hinderling VB. Lipid accumulation in non-adipose tissue and lipotoxicity. Physiol Behav 2008;94:231-41.
17. Ali Z, Ulrik CS. Obesity and asthma: A coincidence or a causal relationship? A systematic review. Respir Med 2013;107:1287-300.
18. Rehman Khan A, Awan FR. Leptin resistance: A Possible interface between obesity and pulmonary-related disorders. Int J Endocrinol Metab 2016;14:e32586.
19. Trayhurn P, Bing C. Appetite and energy balance signals from adipocytes. Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci 2006;361:1237-49.
20. Trayhurn P, Bing C, Wood IS. Adipose tissue and adipokines-energy regulation from the human perspective. J Nutr 2006;136:1935S-1939S.
21. Wasim M. Role of leptin in obesity. J Obes Weight Loss Ther 2015;5:1000258.
22. Rosická M, Krsek M, Matoulek M, Jarkovská Z, Marek J, Justová V, et al. Serum ghrelin levels in obese patients: The relationship to serum leptin levels and soluble leptin receptors levels. Physiol Res 2003;52:61-6.
23. Afrah-Nazar AM, Mufeedjalil E, Suhayr EA. Leptin and adiponectin levels of asthmatic Iraqi children in Hilla Province. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2017;10:431-4.
24. Tzanavari T, Giannogonas P, Karalis KP. TNF-alpha and obesity. Curr Dir Autoimmun 2010;11:145-56.
25. Han C, Wu W, Ale A, Kim MS, Cai D. Central leptin and tumor necrosis factor-? (TNF?) in diurnal control of blood pressure and hypertension. J Biol Chem 2016;291:15131-42.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.