REVERSE-PHASE HIGH-PERFORMANCE LIQUID CHROMATOGRAPHY METHOD DEVELOPMENT AND VALIDATION FOR SIMULTANEOUS ESTIMATION AND FORCED DEGRADATION STUDIES OF EMTRICITABINE, RILPIVIRINE, AND TENOFOVIR ALAFENAMIDE IN SOLID DOSAGE FORM
Objective: A stability indicating reverse-phase high-performance liquid chromatography (RP-HPLC) method was developed and validated for the estimation of emtricitabine (EMT), rilpivirine (RIL), and tenofovir alafenamide (TAF) in combined dosage forms and its API.
Methods: Chromatographic separation was achieved on Waters ACQUITY RP-HPLC with PDA detector having Zodiac C18 Column (250Ã—4.6Ã—5Î¼) using mobile phase mixture of phosphate buffer: acetonitrile in the ratio of 40:60 v/v at 262 nm.
Results: The assay was performed with tablets, and the % assay was found to be 100.104 for EMT, 99.74 for RIL, and 102.41 for TAF which shows that the method is useful for routine analysis. The linearity was found to be linear with a correlation coefficient of 0.999, which shows that the method is capable of producing good sensitivity. The retention time (RT) of EMT, RIL, and TAF using optimum conditions was found to be 2.517, 3.273, and 6.697 min. Forced degradation studies (FDS) were performed on sample using acid, base, thermal, photolytic, and peroxide degradation.
Conclusion: Due to its simplicity, rapidness, high precision, and low RT value, this method was successfully applied to the estimation of EMT, RIL, and TAF combined dosage form. The drugs were found to be stable at FDS, and the net degradation was found to be within the limits.
2. Joshi M, Nikalje AP, Shahed M, Dehghan M. HPTLC method for the simultaneous estimation of emtricitabine and tenofovir in tablet dosage form. Indian J Pharm Sci 2009;71:95-7.
3. Parthiban C, Bhargavan RM, Sudhakar M. A simple RP-HPLC method for simultaneous estimation of tenofovir disoproxil fumarate and emtricitabine in tablet dosage form. Int Res J Pharm 2011;2:201-3.
4. Sharma T, Mishra N, Swapnak M, Sudam CS, Sankar DG. A validated RP-HPLC method for estimation of tenofovir disoproxil fumarate in bulk and pharmaceutical formulation. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2012;5:108-10.
5. Ahindita B, Aurobinda P, Amit KM, Dannana GS, Swapna KM, Sudam CS. Development and validation of spectrophotometric methods for determination of emtricitabine and tenofovir disoproxil fumarate in bulk and tablet dosage form. Int J Pharm Tech Res 2011;3:1874-82.
6. Rajesh S, Pooja G. A validated RP-HPLC method for simultaneous estimation of emtricitabine and tenofovir disoproxil fumarate in a tablet dosage form. Eurasian J Anal Chem 2009;4:276-84.
7. Kumar AP, Parthasarathi G, Sudheer AP, Mothi SN, Swamy VH, Rao S. Incidence and risk factors of renal impairment in HIV-1 infected patients receiving tenofovir based antiretroviral therapy in a South Indian hospital. Int J Pharm Sci 2017;9:152-5.
8. Anumolu PD, Anusha K, Sowndarya NS, Sunitha G. Liquid chromatographic quantification of ternary mixture of anti-viral drugs and application to assessment of their tablet dosage form. Int J Pharm Sci 2016;8:237-40.
9. Kavitha KY, Geetha G, Prasad RH, Venkatnarayana R, Subramanian G. Development and validation of RP-HPLC analytical method for simultaneous estimation of emtricitabine, rilpivirine, tenofovir disoproxil fumarate and its pharmaceutical dosage forms. Pharm Globale 2013;4:150-5.
10. Lakshmi PR, Prahlad P, Mastanamma SK, Ravindra N, Rao MV. UPLC separation analysis of emtricitabine, tenofovir, cobisistat and elvitegravir from their degradation products. Int J Pharm Sci 2016;8:362-9.
11. Pranitha D, Vanitha C, Francis P, Raja MA, Vardan PV, Surendar M, David B. Simultaneous estimation of emtricitabine, tenofovir disoproxil fumarate and rilpivirine in bulk form by RP-HPLC method. J Pharm Res 2012;5:4600-2.
12. Reddy AP, Teja UC, Sultana SK, Vijayalakshmi M, Nalluri NB. Development and validation of RP-HPLC PDA method for the simultaneous estimation of emtricitabine, tenofovir disoproxil fumarate and rilpivirine hydrochloride in bulk, pharmaceutical dosage forms and in dissolution samples. Indo Am J Pharm Res 2014;4:5226-34.
13. International Conference on Harmonization: ICH: Q2 (R1), Validation of Analytical Procedures: Text and Methodology; 1995.
14. International Conference on Harmonization ICH: Q2B, Analytical Validation-Methodology; 1996. p. 24.
15. International Conference on Harmonization ICH: Q2A, Text on Validation of Analytical Procedure; 1994. p. 22.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.