DEVELOPMENT AND VALIDATION OF A SIMPLE HIGH-PERFORMANCE LIQUID CHROMATOGRAPHYâ€“UV METHOD FOR THE DETERMINATION OF VINORELBINE - A CHEMOTHERAPEUTIC DRUG IN SPIKED HUMAN PLASMA
Objective: Vinorelbine (VNRB) is a chemotherapeutic drug used to treat non-small cell lung cancer and breast cancer. Literature survey reveals that there are no reverse-phase high-performance liquid chromatography (RP-HPLC) methods reported for the estimation of VNRB in spiked human plasma. Hence, the present work aimed to develop a simple and efficient RP-HPLC method for the estimation of VNRB in human plasma.
Methods: Specimen preparation for the measurement of VNRB was performed through liquid-liquid extraction using methanol as extracting solvent and reconstructed with mobile phase. Paclitaxel (PCTX) was used as internal standard. HPLC method was optimized and validated as per the US FDA bioanalytical guidelines. VNRB and internal standard were separated on KromasilÂ® C18 (250Ã—4.6 mm; id 5 Î¼) using acetate buffer (pH=5.9) and methanol in the ratio of 85:15 (v/v) at 1 ml/min flow rate. Eluted compounds were recorded using UV detector at 235 nm.
Results: The retention time of PCTX and internal standard was found to be 4.3 and 9.0 min, respectively. The analytical measuring ranges were found to be 5â€“750 ng/ml (r2>0.9998). The method was found to be simple, accurate, precise, and stable and there is no interference of plasma matric components.
Conclusion: The described HPLC method allows for the measurement of total and free PCTX in both plasma and cord blood and can utilize for the estimation of drug in pharmacokinetic studies.
2. Zeenat A, Archana M, Siddhartha K. Ethnopharmacological review of natural products in cancer prevention and therapy. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2018;11:32-44.
3. Aljubran A, Leighl N, Pintilie M, Burkes R. Improved compliance with adjuvant vinorelbine and cisplatin in non-small cell lung cancer. Hematol Oncol Stem Cell Ther 2009;2:265-71.
4. Balaji O. Pharmacotherapy of non-small cell lung cancer: A short review. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2018;11:7-10.
5. Rittenberg CN, Gralla RJ, Rehmeyer TA. Assessing and managing venous irritation associated with vinorelbine tartrate (Navelbine) Oncol Nurs Forum 1995;22:707-10.
6. Toso C, Lindley C. Vinorelbine: A novel vinca alkaloid. Am J Health Syst Pharm 1995;52:1287-304.
7. Mohan Gandhi B, Lakshmana Rao A, Venkateswara Rao J. Development and validation of new RP-HPLC method for the estimation of vinorelbine in pharmaceutical dosage forms. IJRPC 2013;3:712-7.
8. Xiao-Hong L, Wei T, Qing Y, Bing Z, Guang-Li Y, Dong-Hai W, et al. HPLC determination of vinorelbine tartrate in liposome encapsulated injection. Chin J Pharm Anal 2012;32:1882-5.
9. Nishida Y, Kikuchi K, Ohishi T, Masuike T, Ohmori K. High-performance liquid chromatographic determination of vinorelbine and its application to pharmacokinetic study in rat plasma. Jpn J Hosp Pharm 2000;26:601-11.
10. Puozzo C, Ung HL, Zorza G. A high performance liquid chromatography method for vinorelbine and 4-O-deacetyl vinorelbine: A decade of routine analysis in human blood. J Pharm Biomed Anal 2007;44:144-9.
11. Mouchard-Delmas C, Gourdier B, Vistelle R. Determination of vinorelbine in rabbit plasma by high-performance liquid chromatography with coulometric detection. J Chromatogr B Biomed Appl 1995;663:390-4.
12. Damen CW, Lagas JS, Rosing H, Schellens JH, Beijnen JH. The bioanalysis of vinorelbine and 4-O-deacetylvinorelbine in human and mouse plasma using high-performance liquid chromatography coupled with heated electrospray ionization tandem mass-spectrometry. Biomed Chromatogr 2009;23:1316-25.
13. Cheng T, Si D, Liu C. Rapid and sensitive LC-MS method for pharmacokinetic study of vinorelbine in rats. Biomed Chromatogr 2009; 23:909-11.
14. Wen C, Chen M, Wang Z. Quanti_cation of vinorelbine tartrate in rat plasma by LC-MS. Latin Am J Pharm 2013;32:1102-6.
15. Damen CW, Rosing H, Tibben MM, van Maanen MJ, Lagas JS, Schinkel AH, et al. A sensitive assay for the quantitative analysis of vinorelbine in mouse and human EDTA plasma by high-performance liquid chromatography coupled with electrospray tandem mass spectrometry. J Chromatogr B Analyt Technol Biomed Life Sci 2008; 868:102-9.
16. Corona G, Gusella M, Gaspardo A, Miolo G, Bertolaso L, Pezzolo E, et al. Rapid LC-MS/MS method for quantification of vinorelbine and 4-O-deacetylvinorelbine in human whole blood suitable to monitoring oral metronomic anticancer therapy. Biomed Chromatogr 2018; ???:e4282.
17. Van Heugen JC, De Graeve J, Zorza G, Puozzo C. New sensitive liquid chromatography method coupled with tandem mass spectrometric detection for the clinical analysis of vinorelbine and its metabolites in blood, plasma, urine and faeces. J Chromatogr A 2001;926:11-20.
18. Gong X, Yang L, Zhang F, Liang Y, Gao S, Liu K, et al. Validated UHPLC-MS/MS assay for quantitative determination of etoposide, gemcitabine, vinorelbine and their metabolites in patients with lung cancer. Biomed Chromatogr 2017;31: ???.
19. Lei L, Xiu-Jie C, Wen-Liang Z, Xiao-Dan S. HPLC determination of vinorelbine tartrate in tumor cells. Chin J Pharm Anal 2008;28:807-9.
20. Dong Y, Xin H, Wang H, Li Q, Li Z, Hu J, et al. Pharmacokinetic study of vinorelbine in Chinese patients with non-small-cell lung cancer by highperformance liquid chromatography (HPLC) with fluorescence detection. Afr J Pharm Pharmacol 2013;7:770-5.
21. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Food and Drug Administration. Bioanalytical Method Validation Guidance for Industry. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Food and Drug Administration; 2018. p. 1-41.
22. Al-Tamimi JJ. Development and validation of HPLC/UV method for determination of in human plasma and application in pharmacokinetic studies. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2015;7:370-8.
23. Madhavi S, Rani P. Bioanalytical method development and validation for the determination of sofosbuvir from human plasma. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2017;9:35-41.